The Student Room Group

Student Emily Hughes denied loan due to namesake

🤔🤔🤔🤔

''A student has been unable to get a loan for university because someone with the same name, birthday and born in the same area has already applied for one.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-40707719
Original post by games211
🤔🤔🤔🤔

''A student has been unable to get a loan for university because someone with the same name, birthday and born in the same area has already applied for one.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-40707719

Student Finance are appalling.

I spent the best part of 2 years without my maintenance loan.

The fact they cannot discern between to different people because of their names is illustrative of their incompetence.

Not to mention how rude and incompetent their customer service is.

I sent my signed form 12 times first class.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ridiculous. You have to supply evidence of ID, such as your NI number which is checked.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Ridiculous. You have to supply evidence of ID, such as your NI number which is checked.

This. It doesn't make much sense to deny it based on name nad birthday, as there are bound to be multiple cases like this given the sheer number of people who apply!
Seems like a non story considering they said it'd be processed once proof of identity is received.

This alone should have told Student Finance they were dealing with two separate beings.

They're idiots.
Original post by Dodgypirate
This alone should have told Student Finance they were dealing with two separate beings.

They're idiots.

Quite. You also have to send in either passport details or birth certificate. I would be very surprised if the details on both were exactly the same.

It's not as if they have some ultra rare name either.
Quite. You also have to send in either passport details or birth certificate. I would be very surprised if the details on both were exactly the same.

It's not as if they have some ultra rare name either.

Like I've mentioned, I have had trouble with them for 2 years.

I must have sent my signed form a dozen times before they sent me my maintenance loan.
This is why we should scrap government student loans and turn it over to the free market instead.
Just typical SLC, completely ****ing retarded.
Reply 10
And what if you are called John Smith?
Original post by Doonesbury
And what if you are called John Smith?

then you change your name, of-course! Cos identity < student finance
Reply 12
Original post by Dot.Cotton
This is why we should scrap government student loans and turn it over to the free market instead.

Indeed, because banks and finance companies never make mistakes.

:rolleyes:
I have twin daughters. One went to uni first and managed to give her sisters NI number. Later, the other one decided to go. Not the fault of SFC, but it took 2 terms to sort it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending