The Student Room Group

Since when did the Oxford Union allow screaming Feminists into their debates?

[video="youtube;xzpndHtdl9A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A[/video]
Reply 2
It's that fat woman in the purple dress isn't it against Hitchens 😂😂😂
:lol: I've seen this many times
Original post by SGHD26716
It's that fat woman in the purple dress isn't it against Hitchens 😂😂😂

The fact that you know the video without the URL is brilliant haha. Why are they even letting radical Feminists debate in the Union?
I like how it's censorship for Peter Hitchens to fail to regiment his language precisely according to the personal usages of every other random person whom he's never met.

Original post by Piña colada
The fact that you know the video without the URL is brilliant haha. Why are they even letting radical Feminists debate in the Union?

They are a vocal minority which I think few students agree with, but which few students can be bothered standing up to.

I say this all the time on here: the problem is that normal, well-adjusted students have other things to do with their time.

edit: tbf I don't mind them debating. That's what they should be doing. It's when they get their placards out and start screeching that it becomes a problem.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I like how it's censorship for Peter Hitchens to fail to regiment his language precisely according to the personal usages of every other random person whom he's never met.

They are a vocal minority which I think few students agree with, but which few students can be bothered standing up to.

I say this all the time on here: the problem is that normal, well-adjusted students have other things to do with their time.

edit: tbf I don't mind them debating. That's what they should be doing. It's when they get their placards out and start screeching that it becomes a problem.

That is a fair point, I don't think many young Oxford Unionists would argue with a screaming feminist having an existential crisis.

I am just curious to how an institution that dates back to 1823 allows such debate etiquette? Her argument was fairly weak.
Her argument was fairly weak.

It was, and it becomes clear at the end of the video that the chamber is against her because of that. Thankfully.

The system works.

As to etiquette she was shrill and annoying but she wasn't out of order imho.
Why are they even letting radical Feminists debate in the Union?

...I must have missed the part of the Oxford Union Society's constitution where only people you agree with are allowed to debate. You do realise that the entire purpose of a debate is to voice opposing viewpoints?
I've seen far worse at the Oxford Union. I was there when Richard Nixon was given nearly 2 hours to expound his corrupt and murderous view of the world.
Original post by Plagioclase
...I must have missed the part of the Oxford Union Society's constitution where only people you agree with are allowed to debate. You do realise that the entire purpose of a debate is to voice opposing viewpoints?

I am beyond aware of that. I am curious to how you made the assumption that I opposed her views?

"You do realise" should actually be "Do you realise" since what you were asking was a question. If we are being strictly critical that is.

One should be more aware of the question at hand before throwing poorly written jibes. The whole principle of this thread was to address the aggressive nature of this Feminist in a world renowned debate society. I am well aware of the nature of the debate, I was simply addressing the aggression what she was radiating to the house. Strong feminist views can be displayed across the dispatch box without shouting and throwing personal insults.

Tl;dr: You made a few grammatical errors early on and your argument is fairly invalid. I simply stated that her radical stance and aggressive nature was undermining the traditional debate.
I am beyond aware of that. I am curious to how you made the assumption that I opposed her views?

"You do realise" should actually be "Do you realise" since what you were asking was a question. If we are being strictly critical that is.

One should be more aware of the question at hand before throwing poorly written jibes. The whole principle of this thread was to address the aggressive nature of this Feminist in a world renowned debate society. I am well aware of the nature of the debate, I was simply addressing the aggression what she was radiating to the house. Strong feminist views can be displayed across the dispatch box without shouting and throwing personal insults.

Tl;dr: You made a few grammatical errors early on and your argument is fairly invalid. I simply stated that her radical stance and aggressive nature was undermining the traditional debate.

Shami Chakrabarti can hold a well educated Feminist debate in the chamber. I am not criticising or saying people can't debate, I was simply stating that other Feminists can hold a debate with etiquette, why can't she?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending