The Student Room Group

LNAT exam

I'm planning to book an LNAT exam later this year but I have no idea how to prepare for it, especially because I want to go to UCL/LSE/KCL and want to get 35/43 or more in the exam. How can I revise and get that result?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm so happy I found this question, as someone who's taken the LNAT Twice, firstly you want to get used to the jargon, so reading newspapers and articles, professional ones like the guardian, helps with the questions and the essay will most likely be on a topic which is very current in the world, also the last time I did the lnat, I got a math question, it wasn't hard but definitely surprised me. you need to do practice questions and papers to get used to the layout, the essay is very important, I saw people getting 39/42 and getting rejected because of their lnat, so there is weight on the essay as much as the questions, there are loads of books or websites which provide practice questions, I used this book on amazon called
"The Ultimate LNAT Guide: Over 400 practice questions with fully worked solutions, Time Saving Techniques, Score Boosting Strategies, Annotated Essays. ... the National Admissions Test for Law (LNAT). Paperback 20 Sept. 2021"
also look up the average lnat score for that university and try to aim for that or slightly above. if you want any more advice let me know ^^
Reply 2
Original post by chad2002
I'm so happy I found this question, as someone who's taken the LNAT Twice, firstly you want to get used to the jargon, so reading newspapers and articles, professional ones like the guardian, helps with the questions and the essay will most likely be on a topic which is very current in the world, also the last time I did the lnat, I got a math question, it wasn't hard but definitely surprised me. you need to do practice questions and papers to get used to the layout, the essay is very important, I saw people getting 39/42 and getting rejected because of their lnat, so there is weight on the essay as much as the questions, there are loads of books or websites which provide practice questions, I used this book on amazon called
"The Ultimate LNAT Guide: Over 400 practice questions with fully worked solutions, Time Saving Techniques, Score Boosting Strategies, Annotated Essays. ... the National Admissions Test for Law (LNAT). Paperback 20 Sept. 2021"
also look up the average lnat score for that university and try to aim for that or slightly above. if you want any more advice let me know ^^

I am defo going to be buying that book, especially because it is rated 4.5 stars on Amazon. UCL doesn't have a general LNAT score but generally Oxford applicants have had an average score of 27. I'm only in yr12 but seeing as I wanna apply to an oversubscribed course in London I wanna get my LNAT sorted asap. Say I were to get a high LNAT score and a-levels like 3A*, which is what I generally work at with an odd A, do you think it would be possible to get into top law unis in London even with low gcse scores (I got 6667777779)?
Reply 3
Original post by ichmielowiec
I am defo going to be buying that book, especially because it is rated 4.5 stars on Amazon. UCL doesn't have a general LNAT score but generally Oxford applicants have had an average score of 27. I'm only in yr12 but seeing as I wanna apply to an oversubscribed course in London I wanna get my LNAT sorted asap. Say I were to get a high LNAT score and a-levels like 3A*, which is what I generally work at with an odd A, do you think it would be possible to get into top law unis in London even with low gcse scores (I got 6667777779)?

I got lower GCSE's and got an offers from kings and Durham, I didn't apply any higher. If those are the grades and scores you do get, the biggest factor will be your personal statement, I feel like that really carried me tbh, I have been gaining work experience since year 10, and have been getting advice and insight since yr11/yr12 on things needed to aid my personal statement and entry into a good law school, like books, podcasts, work experiences (virtual and irl), roles in and out of education and majority of which I was already doing because I loved law. not saying it needs to be really advance but because for law there is no interviewing process (for most unis), its really important!
Reply 4
also as a side note, I would of never applied to top unis because of my gcses, but I spoke to some who had worked for admission in a top uni and they said university look at GCSEs like a "gold star certificate from primary school" (which looking back now was an over exaggeration), its good and you need it but most of the time they don't care, its mainly used to pick between 2 candidates who are very similar as the final factor to decide from. but the higher the grades, the more likely you possess the traits they are looking for.
Reply 5
I'm planning to book an LNAT exam later this year but I have no idea how to prepare for it, especially because I want to go to UCL/LSE/KCL and want to get 35/43 or more in the exam. How can I revise and get that result?

One word...ARBITIO!!! :biggrin:

https://www.arbitio.co.uk
You don't need 35/42 for any university. Getting over 30 is already going to put you in the top selection of candidates, and at that point a rejection isn't due to a poor LNAT score.
Original post by toxicgamage56
You don't need 35/42 for any university. Getting over 30 is already going to put you in the top selection of candidates, and at that point a rejection isn't due to a poor LNAT score.

^^ agreed, i got 24/42 n i was panickin that i wasnt goin to get in but i currently hold an offer from lse for law llb. i also recall in their open day one of the law profs n admins were sayin lnat is important but its a holistic judgement, so also consider ur predicted grades n most importantly ur personal statement !:smile:
Original post by sycamoretree
^^ agreed, i got 24/42 n i was panickin that i wasnt goin to get in but i currently hold an offer from lse for law llb. i also recall in their open day one of the law profs n admins were sayin lnat is important but its a holistic judgement, so also consider ur predicted grades n most importantly ur personal statement !:smile:

Same but idk if I'm getting the A*AA lol.
Same but idk if I'm getting the A*AA lol.

omg ikr the wait is makin me nervous, hopefully we will🤞
Reply 10

35 is unrealistic and completely unnecessary... u can get into oxford with a score in the 20s or even less. dont stress about it too much
Reply 11
I'm so stressed about A-Levels alone, but that's good that you don't need it to be as high lol
Original post by miyu
35 is unrealistic and completely unnecessary... u can get into oxford with a score in the 20s or even less. dont stress about it too much
Reply 12
That's literally the dream. LSE is so sick and well done man
Reply 13
Which option did you choose, £65 or £245?
Original post by thegeek888
One word...ARBITIO!!! :biggrin:

https://www.arbitio.co.uk
That's literally the dream. LSE is so sick and well done man

thank you ! another piece of advice that i was given to 'stand out' was if u have a topic or even area of law ur interested in, i highly recommend researchin around it n lookin into the legal perspective of it to put into ur personal statement. for example, im an intersectional feminist n so i researched pretty much anythin to do wit disadvantaged groups, n i had found an article about gender n the hate crime bill n analysed what i thought of it - basically its flaws (in this case, gender discrimination is illegal but it actually isnt a hate crime to target someone based on gender) n a consideration of the commons' justification for not includin gender n again, more of my analysis of the implications. n while i have heard some people say admins dont properly read ur personal statements, this legal analysis para was my 1st para so im guessin they prolly did n it might have helped me against my lower lnat
otherwise sources i highly recommend to help prepare u in general are oxford union debates, jstor, law podcasts n lse's blogs page
Which option did you choose, £65 or £245?

Choose the £65 option, I didn't even finish half of the tests I had on the £65 option so there's definitely enough in there. I heard that the £245 wasn't worth it, and you only have a couple months, so I wouldn't go for that option. By the way, Arbitio has good tests and some good exemplar essays, but be warned that though you are promised a free essay check, that likely wouldn't happen as the site's moderators/organisers seem to have gone inactive years ago - looks like they've just left the resources behind. That may have changed now, but just letting you know that you probably can't have your essay checked by an Arbitio professional; only really use the site for the high quality practice tests that they have.
Reply 16
thank you ! another piece of advice that i was given to 'stand out' was if u have a topic or even area of law ur interested in, i highly recommend researchin around it n lookin into the legal perspective of it to put into ur personal statement. for example, im an intersectional feminist n so i researched pretty much anythin to do wit disadvantaged groups, n i had found an article about gender n the hate crime bill n analysed what i thought of it - basically its flaws (in this case, gender discrimination is illegal but it actually isnt a hate crime to target someone based on gender) n a consideration of the commons' justification for not includin gender n again, more of my analysis of the implications. n while i have heard some people say admins dont properly read ur personal statements, this legal analysis para was my 1st para so im guessin they prolly did n it might have helped me against my lower lnat
otherwise sources i highly recommend to help prepare u in general are oxford union debates, jstor, law podcasts n lse's blogs page

I love jstor sm it's so useful esp with my EPQ, and I will defo take up ur advice on writing about an area of law that is interesting for me. I love crim and commercial law, commercial i think is jus fun to read about with companies suing eachother for crazy amounts of money and crim law being jus generally interesting. I would kill to b a crim lawyer but the problem is the pay is rlly bad for the amount of work u do and also most of the time you dont get good cases to work on e.g. tax evasion
Reply 17
Choose the £65 option, I didn't even finish half of the tests I had on the £65 option so there's definitely enough in there. I heard that the £245 wasn't worth it, and you only have a couple months, so I wouldn't go for that option. By the way, Arbitio has good tests and some good exemplar essays, but be warned that though you are promised a free essay check, that likely wouldn't happen as the site's moderators/organisers seem to have gone inactive years ago - looks like they've just left the resources behind. That may have changed now, but just letting you know that you probably can't have your essay checked by an Arbitio professional; only really use the site for the high quality practice tests that they have.

Yh that's the only reason I would get the £245, the essay check. But as long as the practice tests r good then I'm sure it will b fine. The harder the practice, the easier the real thing.
Yh that's the only reason I would get the £245, the essay check. But as long as the practice tests r good then I'm sure it will b fine. The harder the practice, the easier the real thing.

Definitely don't get the £245 one then, since they're definitely not checking any essays. I remember so many people that had bought the £245 package begging for someone to look over the essay and saying that they'd waited months for an essay check that didn't happen. Go for the £65 one - the practice tests there are certainly harder than the real thing imo; I went from a 23 avrg to 29 in the real thing and that's only after practising for less than a month so you could easily aim for >30. Gl
Reply 19
Definitely don't get the £245 one then, since they're definitely not checking any essays. I remember so many people that had bought the £245 package begging for someone to look over the essay and saying that they'd waited months for an essay check that didn't happen. Go for the £65 one - the practice tests there are certainly harder than the real thing imo; I went from a 23 avrg to 29 in the real thing and that's only after practising for less than a month so you could easily aim for >30. Gl

That's insane. The applications for the LNAT start on the 1st of aug and im just ******** myself for it. That's a rlly good score tho esp cuz the avg oxbridge student gets around 27. What unis did u apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending