The Student Room Group

Economics or History?

I have an issue- I have been made to choose my A-level subjects yet I am unsure on what to pick. So far I have decided on mathematics and politics as I am interested in them both. However, I am unsure whether for a third A-level I should do economics or history.

I have looked at the subject content/ specification and past paper questions but I still don’t know what I prefer. I find them both fascinating, and I would like to study them both deeper; however, my school only allows us to do 3 A-levels 🥲 (so I am finding it hard to choose).

Furthermore, I am interested in doing a degree in PPE, perhaps in Oxford or LSE. This leads me to ask, which combination of A-labels would be best suited for this and is overall more respected??

Anyways, thank you for reading this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by reserved-trouper
I have an issue- I have been made to choose my A-level subjects yes I am unsure on what to pick. So far I have decided on mathematics and politics as I am interested in them both. However, I am unsure whether for a third A-level I should do economics or history.

I have looked at the subject content/ specification and past paper questions but I still don’t know what I prefer. I find them both fascinating, and I would like to study them both deeper; however, my school only allows us to do 3 A-levels 🥲 (so I am finding it hard to choose).

Furthermore, I am interested in doing a degree in PPE, perhaps in Oxford or LSE. This leads me to ask, which combination of A-labels would be best suited for this and is overall more respected??

BTW I know a fourth A-level would be unnecessary since universities don’t really take them into account. Nevertheless, I will definitely be doing and EPQ, perhaps to do with the subject I don’t end up taking.
I have an issue- I have been made to choose my A-level subjects yet I am unsure on what to pick. So far I have decided on mathematics and politics as I am interested in them both. However, I am unsure whether for a third A-level I should do economics or history.

You can try to start with 4 then drop one after the first year.

Best combo imho: Math, Econ and History

Maths and History are both strongly preferred for PPE at Oxford, LSE, Durham, York, Warwick, KCL and SOAS. Also Economics would be the best third A-Level. You will need to sit the TSA entrance exams and write and essay too for PPE at Oxford University.

Economics is not that difficult, as you have alot of Data Response questions and the essays are usually 25 to 30 marks only.

History depends on the topics chosen by your teacher or voted by your classmates. ☹️

So it is either a choice of:

Maths, Economics and Politics.

OR

Maths, Economics and History.

Hi, on the course requirements for PPE at LSE and Oxford Maths is compulsory so it's great that you've chosen that as one of your subjects. On the Oxford course requirement, history is also preferable (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics) so it's worth taking that as your third A-Level Choice. Hope this helps!

Either is fine and neither is "more respected". Just take whichever you think you'll get a better result and find more interesting.
Original post by thegeek888
Maths and History are both strongly preferred for PPE at Oxford, LSE, Durham, York, Warwick, KCL and SOAS. Also Economics would be the best third A-Level. You will need to sit the TSA entrance exams and write and essay too for PPE at Oxford University.

Economics is not that difficult, as you have alot of Data Response questions and the essays are usually 25 to 30 marks only.

History depends on the topics chosen by your teacher or voted by your classmates. ☹️

So it is either a choice of:

Maths, Economics and Politics.

OR

Maths, Economics and History.

This seems to be what I am considering now: history or politics.
For History we are studying the War of the roses, Mao's china, and the Soviet Union which are all something I am interested in. Additionally, I know my prospective teachers and am guaranteed good teaching. As a result, I am leaning more towards history.
All in all, thank you for responding, I appreciate the advice!
Original post by Wired_1800
You can try to start with 4 then drop one after the first year.

Best combo imho: Math, Econ and History

I think this is the conclusion I keep arriving to. History seems to be very well-rounded and useful. Thank you for your reply, taking 4 and then dropping one seems like a good idea.
Original post by SOAS Student Rep
Hi, on the course requirements for PPE at LSE and Oxford Maths is compulsory so it's great that you've chosen that as one of your subjects. On the Oxford course requirement, history is also preferable (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics) so it's worth taking that as your third A-Level Choice. Hope this helps!

I have been looking at different courses, specifically at the requirements and have noticed that history does seem to be preferable. I definitely will be taking this into account, thanks for the insight!
I think this is the conclusion I keep arriving to. History seems to be very well-rounded and useful. Thank you for your reply, taking 4 and then dropping one seems like a good idea.

Good luck. You can drop the one that you don't like after the first year.
I have been looking at different courses, specifically at the requirements and have noticed that history does seem to be preferable. I definitely will be taking this into account, thanks for the insight!

No worries at all, good luck for making your final choices!

Quick Reply

Latest