The Student Room Group

Appeal

What can I do, my university withdrew me on mistakes caused by them, my results went missing for over 8 months, well it’s a long story but my uni withdrew me based on that module only to find out the correct results have been found a day after I got the letter, what do I do?
Original post by Sopyjaja
What can I do, my university withdrew me on mistakes caused by them, my results went missing for over 8 months, well it’s a long story but my uni withdrew me based on that module only to find out the correct results have been found a day after I got the letter, what do I do?

Talk to your Students' Union. They are they to help, and will understand how the various processes and procedures work at your uni.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Talk to your Students' Union. They are they to help, and will understand how the various processes and procedures work at your uni.

How helpful will they be cause I’m currently in contact with them on this but is this something that’s ever happened, a university makes a mistake in your result and blames you for it
How helpful will they be cause I’m currently in contact with them on this...

I don't know. You say your're currently in contact with them; how helpful are they being?

...is this something that’s ever happened, a university makes a mistake in your result and blames you for it

Almost certainly. Organisations (and most people) don't like taking responsibility for their own mistakes.
Reply 4
Happened to one of my students literally on Wednesday. Fixed by today.
Reply 5
I don't know. You say your're currently in contact with them; how helpful are they being?

Almost certainly. Organisations (and most people) don't like taking responsibility for their own mistakes.

So I’d rather just say the full story, I’m in my finals year, final semester as a matter of fact, in my 3rd yr, 1st semester a module of mine from my 2nd which I passed on one attempt was put up for a reassessment which didn’t make any sense, so I had to go for the classes and those classes were clashing terribly with my 3rd year modules, I couldn’t even attend most of my classes cause of that, one I noticed this, I raised an alarm with my dept going pretty much everyday asking about my results, it wasn’t until May that the result was found, imagine, the 2 semesters were split between 2 different sessions, It took me telling the module leader to even check other sessions maybe it’ll be there and after finding this, they never bothered to put it on my profile up until yesterday imagine, I’ve been on this since January, I was advised to file an exceptional circumstance which I did and was rejected when none of it was within my control and now I’m told I either file another one or appeal and the lecturers involved are so reluctant, I’ve been put into serious depression cause of this, I can’t think straight, my mind just keep deteriorating
So I’d rather just say the full story, I’m in my finals year, final semester as a matter of fact, in my 3rd yr, 1st semester a module of mine from my 2nd which I passed on one attempt was put up for a reassessment which didn’t make any sense, so I had to go for the classes and those classes were clashing terribly with my 3rd year modules, I couldn’t even attend most of my classes cause of that, one I noticed this, I raised an alarm with my dept going pretty much everyday asking about my results, it wasn’t until May that the result was found, imagine, the 2 semesters were split between 2 different sessions, It took me telling the module leader to even check other sessions maybe it’ll be there and after finding this, they never bothered to put it on my profile up until yesterday imagine, I’ve been on this since January, I was advised to file an exceptional circumstance which I did and was rejected when none of it was within my control and now I’m told I either file another one or appeal and the lecturers involved are so reluctant, I’ve been put into serious depression cause of this, I can’t think straight, my mind just keep deteriorating

I have some questions:

1. You say "a module of mine from my 2nd which I passed on one attempt was put up for a reassessment which didn’t make any sense" and then "one I noticed this". Once you noticed what? Surely you'd have been screaming the place down the moment you were told you needed to be reassessed for a module you'd already passed? I don't understand why you even attended those lectures, given that it was clearly a mistake.

2. With regards to the module you were being (incorrectly) reassessed for, you say "which I passed on one attempt" and then later "it wasn’t until May that the result was found". How do you know you passed? Presumably you received some formal confirmation of that fact, which you could wave at the admin team and say, "Look - I've passed. Why am I being forced to do this module again?"

3. Why was your exceptional circumstances claim rejected? (They will have provided a reason, in writing, for the claim being unsuccessful.)

4. "Fighting" with any large organisation, like a university, on your own can be exhausting. How much involvement have the Students' Union had in all of this so far?
Reply 7
1. We’ve got canvas so I got the complete result on canvas but when it got to the actual school website it wasn’t there that was when I first noticed the issue

2. My exceptional circumstances was rejected according to them, invalid reason for request even with the evidence of series of emails id exchanged with the lecturers

I have some questions:

1. You say "a module of mine from my 2nd which I passed on one attempt was put up for a reassessment which didn’t make any sense" and then "one I noticed this". Once you noticed what? Surely you'd have been screaming the place down the moment you were told you needed to be reassessed for a module you'd already passed? I don't understand why you even attended those lectures, given that it was clearly a mistake.

2. With regards to the module you were being (incorrectly) reassessed for, you say "which I passed on one attempt" and then later "it wasn’t until May that the result was found". How do you know you passed? Presumably you received some formal confirmation of that fact, which you could wave at the admin team and say, "Look - I've passed. Why am I being forced to do this module again?"

3. Why was your exceptional circumstances claim rejected? (They will have provided a reason, in writing, for the claim being unsuccessful.)

4. "Fighting" with any large organisation, like a university, on your own can be exhausting. How much involvement have the Students' Union had in all of this so far?
Reply 8
As far as student union, they were the ones that advised exceptional circumstances that’s as far as they’ve gone with me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending