The Student Room Group

Britain to ban sale of all new petrol and diesel cars and vans from 2040

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by comebackseason
The Model S is stunning but I don't see many of them around in the UK. Originally I'm from North America and you would see at least one on a normal day of just being on the road for an hour..

electric vehicles just aren't very popular out here.

I've seen a fair few Toyota hybrids out and about, I'd say their popularity is growing. Then again, I do live in Brighton. :holmes:
Reply 21
Original post by comebackseason
The Model S is stunning but I don't see many of them around in the UK. Originally I'm from North America and you would see at least one on a normal day of just being on the road for an hour..

electric vehicles just aren't very popular out here.

yet

Original post by Dez
I've seen a fair few Toyota hybrids out and about, I'd say their popularity is growing. Then again, I do live in Brighton. :holmes:

Yep, Priuses are 10 a penny in Surrey too. Also for pure EVs the BMW i3s (ugly...) and noticing more Renault Zoes recently. Probably see a Tesla a week (of course it might just be the same one...)
Reply 22
Original post by Doonesbury
Yep, Priuses are 10 a penny in Surrey too. Also for pure EVs the BMW i3s (ugly...) and noticing more Renault Zoes recently. Probably see a Tesla a week (of course it might just be the same one...)

If I had a Model S I'd probably be driving it a lot too, it looks amazing. Maybe some day. :moon:
Reply 23
Original post by Dez
If I had a Model S I'd probably be driving it a lot too, it looks amazing. Maybe some day. :moon:

Someone I know was in a P100D recently - he can confirm it's fast... v f fast...
Reply 24
Original post by Reality Check
The government doesn't know what's happening in 6 months time, let alone 23 years. It's meaningless, gesture politics.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the government of 2040 delays it
Reply 25
yet

Have you ever seen a BMW i8? They’re beautiful and the drive is amazing, the only problem with electric cars is you don’t get that aggressiveness when you rev the engine or drive fast
Reply 26
Original post by zayn008
Have you ever seen a BMW i8? They’re beautiful and the drive is amazing, the only problem with electric cars is you don’t get that aggressiveness when you rev the engine or drive fast

Nods. The i8 is a whole heap better looking than the i3.

And yes EVs do seem to be driven less aggressively generally. The number of times I've noticed a Tesla pottering along the inside lane on a motorway is striking. (probably saving those volts...)

I agree that we need to move away from combustion engines. It's indisputable that petrol/diesel fuelled cars are causing substantial damage. Therefore, why 2040? Considering the ban will prevent the production of NEW combustion powered vehicles, why not have the ban, in say 10 years to give the motoring industry a chance to prepare, but not to fall behind the rest of the world (with the exception of the US of course). Countries such as Finland, Denmark, Sweden etc. have already begun to transition to clean power vehicles and technology with smaller GDP's. Therefore it's a step in the right direction, but ultimately seems like a wasted opportunity.
For the 'petrol heads' complaining... Accept reality, it has been clear for decades that this would eventually happen (perhaps too late) and just because it's electric, doesn't mean it's all bad. While I love the noise of a good V10 engine and I'm an avid F1 fan for example. Formula E is an example of great innovation in electric technology, with entertaining racing for example.
Reply 28
Original post by srdavison123
I agree that we need to move away from combustion engines. It's indisputable that petrol/diesel fuelled cars are causing substantial damage. Therefore, why 2040? Considering the ban will prevent the production of NEW combustion powered vehicles, why not have the ban, in say 10 years to give the motoring industry a chance to prepare, but not to fall behind the rest of the world (with the exception of the US of course). Countries such as Finland, Denmark, Sweden etc. have already begun to transition to clean power vehicles and technology with smaller GDP's. Therefore it's a step in the right direction, but ultimately seems like a wasted opportunity.
For the 'petrol heads' complaining... Accept reality, it has been clear for decades that this would eventually happen (perhaps too late) and just because it's electric, doesn't mean it's all bad. While I love the noise of a good V10 engine and I'm an avid F1 fan for example. Formula E is an example of great innovation in electric technology, with entertaining racing for example.

It's the same as France. And you can expect others to follow suit.

It's very likely the major manufacturers will have moved to drop petrol/diesel from their lines before then anyway so it's somewhat moot.
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
Another example of state interference. Let individuals make decision about the engines in there cars.

What about the people who have to breathe the c**p?
It's the same as France. And you can expect others to follow suit.

It's very likely the major manufacturers will have moved to drop petrol/diesel from their lines before then anyway so it's somewhat moot.

True. Although the sooner we move away the better. Admittedly there is still issues with having sustainable energy, but the sooner we transition, the faster the technology will advance and the cheaper it will become!
Boyfriend's parents have a Tesla (can't remember what model tbh) and can confirm it's very pretty and fast. It also feels like a boat in the back seats - do not recommend if you get carsick :nope: I see a fair few of them in Gloucestershire too...

Hopefully this will at least divert more funding to researching and making more cost efficient electric cars.
Reply 32
Thank God, but 2040 is too late, it needs to be done sooner. They need to promote electric cars too. Tesla is paving the way for us.
Won't the electricity for these new electric cars come from 'fossil fuel burning power stations' anyway?
Reply 34
It will be interesting to see how the national grid fuels this peak in electrical demand. The government has got a big job on its hands setting up nationwide charging ports too
Reply 35
Original post by matthewparker34
Won't the electricity for these new electric cars come from 'fossil fuel burning power stations' anyway?

Hopefully by 2040, non-renewables will be a minority power source on our national grid.
Reply 36
Original post by Foo.mp3
On balance, not a fantastic idea. Here's why:

1) Good news from an air quality and energy security perspective

2) The question of climate change isn't close to being settled (I say this as a committed environmentalist/green behaviouralist)

3) The electormagnetic fields that electric vehicles cars and such like produce have been shown, in hundreds of studies, to disrupt human/animal biology, and are (thus) associated with quite a number of unpleasant pathologies, including cancer

3) Compared to the cancer and other health risks of, in particular, diesel fuel?
Not sure about this move then again I feel climate change is just a myth
Reply 38
Original post by srdavison123

10 years isn't a long time for automotive companies...
Current engine development takes 3-4 years so the majority of engine companies, the likes of Daimler & Ricardo will be working on projects for 2022 release and beyond. A lot of automotive companies aren't currently set up to make an electric vehicle. They may have designs and prototypes but they'll be a good few years away from high volume manufacturing. Not only that the switch in sourcing and purchasing can have a big effect on the supply chain and it makes it a struggle to forecast future demand. Electrification was always coming, but these companies need time to adjust the way they work. They'll currently have a building of engineers awesome at lowering fuel consumption, turbocharging and engine testing who suddenly have to change their knowledge (or be replaced) to knowledge of batteries and electric powertrains.

If the government sticks to this 2040 target it'll most likely be that gradual step downs occur, for example Volvo have announced that all pass cars from 2020 will either be hybrid or electric. Engine combustion technology is currently at its pinnacle but this doesn't matter so much when people still drive 20 year old cars and the layout of cities lead to a concentration of air pollution.

If we banned internal combustion engines in the next 10 years their wouldn't be enough electric cars to replace the demand and there would also be a huge demand on the electrical grid to the tune of 1 or 2 nuclear power stations (which people don't seem to like). These things take time and will be phased out gradually.
It's the direction the industry is heading in without such government intervention, but it's silly really, especially considering that's the way things are going anyway. The big problems come in battery manufacturing which need to really pick up if this goes global. That increased battery production has its own problems because it's hardly green itself, current batteries tend to be as dirty to make as the exhaust they're preventing with far more localised effects making it even worse for those harmed by it.

The bigger problem is providing the power. It means either a lot more fossil fuel power stations, mitigating benefits, or a lot of nuclear and that decision needs making very soon because these things take a long time to go from idea to activate. Beyond that the grid would need a massive overhaul to handle the extra demand and houses, both lines supplying the power and at least some internal wiring, would need replacing to handle the currents without tripping circuit breakers and creating major fire risks from the heat if things aren't changed.

As per usual, anti market drivel to pander to small groups with little thought about the consequences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending