The Student Room Group

Should I go to this job interview?

Hi Friends

This is my first post. Would love to hear from you guys whacha think.

I applied to this HCA post at a well-known Uni/Hospital. Last Thu 20th July I got "Dear Applicant" email & signed by a hiring manager (assumed that probably be my prospective manager if I'm successful) to invite for an interview on next Thu 3rd Aug and an invitation for informal visit stated the time would be any time on Fri 21st (which is next day!) or the passed Mon 24th in the pm.

On Fri 21st in the eve (when I actually picked up the email) I replied to the email, thanking for the email & invitation & said that I would love to attend on the Mon 24th any time after 2pm & asked (please kindly) to confirm back her best time.

Since then no reply. I was trying to ring on her direct line since Mon 24th everyday, nobody picked up, managed to get thru to their general reception number yesterday (Tue 25th). The lady on the phone said the manager's very busy & would pass on my msg.

Nothing today...

I really like this job (prospectively) esp. pay conditions & skills that I could accumulate.

Now I'm getting cold feet...

I know that I replied a bit late but still...within 24 hours time frame...I should be "resilient" "initiative" blah blah and all, but well if she's that busy why bother to mention the informal visit at all.

I'm also getting feeling that what the teamwork & communication there would like..how supportive of the manger would be Or maybe I might not be their top candidates, or they've already got someones in mind so they didn't bother to reply?

1. What should I do in the meantime rather than waiting or showing off my "pest"ering skill?
2. Should I bother still go to the interview next week at all?

:frown:

Thank you guys

xx
iGo for the interview. Also if they have stated for you to go anytime, then it doesnt really matter?
Original post by PJALL
Hi Friends

This is my first post. Would love to hear from you guys whacha think.

I applied to this HCA post at a well-known Uni/Hospital. Last Thu 20th July I got "Dear Applicant" email & signed by a hiring manager (assumed that probably be my prospective manager if I'm successful) to invite for an interview on next Thu 3rd Aug and an invitation for informal visit stated the time would be any time on Fri 21st (which is next day!) or the passed Mon 24th in the pm.

On Fri 21st in the eve (when I actually picked up the email) I replied to the email, thanking for the email & invitation & said that I would love to attend on the Mon 24th any time after 2pm & asked (please kindly) to confirm back her best time.

Since then no reply. I was trying to ring on her direct line since Mon 24th everyday, nobody picked up, managed to get thru to their general reception number yesterday (Tue 25th). The lady on the phone said the manager's very busy & would pass on my msg.

Nothing today...

I really like this job (prospectively) esp. pay conditions & skills that I could accumulate.

Now I'm getting cold feet...

I know that I replied a bit late but still...within 24 hours time frame...I should be "resilient" "initiative" blah blah and all, but well if she's that busy why bother to mention the informal visit at all.

I'm also getting feeling that what the teamwork & communication there would like..how supportive of the manger would be Or maybe I might not be their top candidates, or they've already got someones in mind so they didn't bother to reply?

1. What should I do in the meantime rather than waiting or showing off my "pest"ering skill?
2. Should I bother still go to the interview next week at all?

:frown:

Thank you guys

xx

Did they send the time and date for the informal visit? Of course go to the interview, it would be ridiculous not to
Reply 3
Vow many thanks for speedy replies!

@zaraiqbal18
As for the informal visit, they did say about the dates: Fri 21st & Mon 24th but they asked to confirm time with them. When I emailed back, they just didn't reply back till now :frown:

@That'sGreat
Wouldn't be awkward? That I just turn up at the interview & pretend...this email communication had never happened?
Original post by PJALL
Vow many thanks for speedy replies!

@zaraiqbal18
As for the informal visit, they did say about the dates: Fri 21st & Mon 24th but they asked to confirm time with them. When I emailed back, they just didn't reply back till now :frown:

@That'sGreat
Wouldn't be awkward? That I just turn up at the interview & pretend...this email communication had never happened?

If you're going to allow feeling awkward to stop you doing things in life, you'll get nowhere
Reply 5
Original post by That'sGreat
If you're going to allow feeling awkward to stop you doing things in life, you'll get nowhere

I see what you mean, but doesn't reflect what your future work place might be like? Would you bother to go thru the process & end up like working for a few weeks or months just for the sake of "getting hired" & realise oh crap, good job but not supportive environment/boss & then back to searching for jobs again & again?
Original post by PJALL
I see what you mean, but doesn't reflect what your future work place might be like? Would you bother to go thru the process & end up like working for a few weeks or months just for the sake of "getting hired" & realise oh crap, good job but not supportive environment/boss & then back to searching for jobs again & again?

See if you get the job first, and decide then
Reply 7
That's interesting. I did. Not for this job, just yet. I have been getting a few job offers for last few years & got hired for the sake of getting a job without listening to this nagging voice in my head...& kinda got tired of job changing...that's why I posted & asking for your guy's thought. But thank you @That'sGreat anyway. I wish my working life could be this simple.
Original post by PJALL
That's interesting. I did. Not for this job, just yet. I have been getting a few job offers for last few years & got hired for the sake of getting a job without listening to this nagging voice in my head...& kinda got tired of job changing...that's why I posted & asking for your guy's thought. But thank you @That'sGreat anyway. I wish my working life could be this simple.

I had that same thing with one of the nurseries i worked at. There were a few little things which were nagging little things (half of which i didnt really think about at the time. Looking back in hindsight i should have took more notice of the ones i missed). And the job was rubbish. The manager was vile an the place was poorly run.
Back to the original question- i had a similar thing with a job i applied for last year. I didnt get it in the end though. I had a phone interview in the end but thats as far as i got. I never heard back off them again. Id say go for the interview, see what happens. See what the place/staff/interviewer are like when you go. Then make a proper judgement from there as to wether you think its suitable an you want to work there or not. If anything gets said about the visit- just explain what happened from your point of view. You might not end up getting it anyway, but its worth going to the interview. Especially if its a job you like.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending