The Student Room Group

Applying for other ECT teaching positions

So basically, I have a bit of a dilemma. I accepted an ECT position for September at a Harris school, however I applied for a couple other jobs a while ago, and got invited for an interview for one this week.

I’m not sure if I should go or not, as obviously I have accepted the Harris job, but I think it will be good practice for the future to go for the interview, and I might not even get the job.

I haven’t signed a contract or anything yet with Harris, so if for example I do get the job, and decide the school is a better fit for me, do you think it would look bad if I accepted it and pulled out of the Harris job? I know a few people who did this on my course, and it was fine for them. But again, might not even get the job. Any advice, would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by samiyaq
So basically, I have a bit of a dilemma. I accepted an ECT position for September at a Harris school, however I applied for a couple other jobs a while ago, and got invited for an interview for one this week.

I’m not sure if I should go or not, as obviously I have accepted the Harris job, but I think it will be good practice for the future to go for the interview, and I might not even get the job.

I haven’t signed a contract or anything yet with Harris, so if for example I do get the job, and decide the school is a better fit for me, do you think it would look bad if I accepted it and pulled out of the Harris job? I know a few people who did this on my course, and it was fine for them. But again, might not even get the job. Any advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

I am a second year primary ed student. I do not see any harm in you exploring your options especially since you have not begun your accepted job yet. Like you said, interview experience would be positive and you may find a school which you actually like more. Perhaps ask the others on your course who did the same and how they felt about the situation. But generally, I don't think it should be a problem and while it would be a slight inconvenience for the school you accepted, the other may be the better fit for you and it would be an inconvenience to you being in a job you did not enjoy.

Good luck in your ECT year!
Rachel- YSJ student rep
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel_ysj
Hi there,

I am a second year primary ed student. I do not see any harm in you exploring your options especially since you have not begun your accepted job yet. Like you said, interview experience would be positive and you may find a school which you actually like more. Perhaps ask the others on your course who did the same and how they felt about the situation. But generally, I don't think it should be a problem and while it would be a slight inconvenience for the school you accepted, the other may be the better fit for you and it would be an inconvenience to you being in a job you did not enjoy.

Good luck in your ECT year!
Rachel- YSJ student rep


I don't this this is good advice. If they have verbally accepted the job, it would be very bad form to pull out of it now, especially after the May resignation deadline for teachers in post. @samiyaq didn't you post a few months ago with the same problem? The advice is going to be the same. Headteachers talk.

Quick Reply