The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Hello, I have seen a lot of questions about Tesco in this forum so I have decided to post a thread where you can ask me questions about the world's third largest retailer. I will do my best to answer as fully as I can, but please be aware that we are a huge business, so I simply might not know the answer - but if it is important I will endeavour to find out off one of my colleagues.

I started with Tesco on the graduate in-store programme, so I would be happy to help with any questions about that as well.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Terryw
How do you answer the application-the bit at the back where you select "more like you" or "less like you" very unusual.

You'll have to give me more information than that.
Reply 2
I believe there are right & wrong answers for that section, a staff member filled mine out for me =P But yeah if you just think sensibly about what Tesco would want, then you'll be fine. However there is a trick in there; the same questions are asked twice. You have to make sure you are consistent.
Ubiquitous
Hello, I have seen a lot of questions about Tesco in this forum so I have decided to post a thread where you can ask me questions about the world's third largest retailer. I will do my best to answer as fully as I can, but please be aware that we are a huge business, so I simply might not know the answer - but if it is important I will endeavour to find out off one of my colleagues.

I started with Tesco on the graduate in-store programme, so I would be happy to help with any questions about that as well.

What's your job role at Tescos?
Ubiquitous
I have decided to post a thread where you can ask me questions about the world's third largest retailer.

I have a question... when I applied to Tesco, had the interview etc. the manager who had interviewed had to give me feedback on why I didn't get the position. But he couldn't just tell me that there was a better candidate for the job, he seemed to be required to tell me my failings which he couldn't because in the end I'd just picked up a couple fewer points in the scoring system than the person they employed. Why is the application process like this? (I feel so sorry for the young managers who can't use initiative or pick candidates in a more decisive way :p:)
Reply 5
artorscience?
I have a question... when I applied to Tesco, had the interview etc. the manager who had interviewed had to give me feedback on why I didn't get the position. But he couldn't just tell me that there was a better candidate for the job, he seemed to be required to tell me my failings which he couldn't because in the end I'd just picked up a couple fewer points in the scoring system than the person they employed. Why is the application process like this? (I feel so sorry for the young managers who can't use initiative or pick candidates in a more decisive way :p:)

I am not for certain, however I'd imagine it is to do with fairness and equality laws. For example, if I person complains that they were not selected due to an issue like race, it could potentially go to tribunal and result in a large fine. However, if we consistently use the same system with our points and instant feedback, we protect ourselves from accusations that we are unfair. Even internal promotions are subject to the points system. I was note taking for team leader vacancies last night, where the winner was the person with the most points after answering our questions on the RAG scale.
Ive recently had an interest in applying for tesco but im confused on how to apply, i checked online and it didnt say, can u help please?
Reply 7
inziebaybee
Ive recently had an interest in applying for tesco but im confused on how to apply, i checked online and it didnt say, can u help please?

What position are you aiming for? For a management role, you should go to the careers section of tesco.com and click on the job finder. For a General Assistant role, you should go into your local store and pick up an application form, fill it in and drop it back at the customer service desk in store. THAT SAID, there are few jobs actually available at the moment. Indeed, recruitment is frozen in all the Extra stores in my local area, including my own. Not sure what's going on in the non-Extra formats, however.
yea general assisstant, erm do i not need to ask if there are actually vacancies coz im going to try my 3 local stores, is the application form online the same as the one that i will pick up?
I got a question for you...how do you find management? I'm trying again for sign on (failed it last time by 3% :frown:)
Reply 10
inziebaybee
yea general assisstant, erm do i not need to ask if there are actually vacancies coz im going to try my 3 local stores, is the application form online the same as the one that i will pick up?

I suggest you apply using the in-store application form. I've never heard of a single person being recruited from an online source. I'm not even sure our infrastructure is set up to deal with online applications in-store.
Reply 11
Scotsman1988
I got a question for you...how do you find management? I'm trying again for sign on (failed it last time by 3% :frown:)
I enjoy it. We have some **** days, but most of the time it is enjoyable. Obviously times are hard at the moment, but I am a very level person which helps me to lead the team even when times are hard.

Hard luck with the sign off. Make sure you are comfortable with all aspects of the leadership framework and can link these to the company steering wheel and remember, if you are good enough eventually this will be recognised and you will be signed off. What department and store are you from?
Ubiquitous
I suggest you apply using the in-store application form. I've never heard of a single person being recruited from an online source. I'm not even sure our infrastructure is set up to deal with online applications in-store.

The application form available in-store is available in .pdf format on the Tesco Careers website (here). Although, this has to be printed off, completed and then handed into the store of the applicants choice.

For the questionnaire I suggest to people who ask me that they look through the Tesco Careers website, especially at the customer Assistant role. It explains on there what sort of person Tesco likes and this may help people to answer the questionnaire.

Suggested pages for reading:
One
Two
Three
Four
thanks scotman1988 u really helped, im going to go into my local 3 stores to apply, do u think i should hand my CV in along with the application form?
inziebaybee
thanks scotman1988 u really helped, im going to go into my local 3 stores to apply, do u think i should hand my CV in along with the application form?

The application form will suffice. They don't really look at CVs.
Reply 15
Hey,
Got an interview at Tesco on Tuesday, can anyone give advice on what sort of things they'll ask and generally what to expect?
Thanks
Reply 16
I am a manager at Tesco. Tell me what your chosen job is and what store it is at and I will try and give you some advice.
Reply 17
Its for a new store opening near me, no specific position as it was advertised as general assistant.
Reply 18
lou_lou87
Its for a new store opening near me, no specific position as it was advertised as general assistant.

Is it an Express, Metro, Superstore or Extra?
Reply 19
Sorry, its a Superstore, just outside of manchester

Quick Reply

Latest