The Student Room Group

Breaking LGBTQ+ Stereotypes

Brighton Pride might be over, but there are other Pride events coming up in Wales (25-27 August) and Manchester (25-28 August)! :woo: As a link between the Pride event that has just ended the ones that are yet to come, I bring you a thread with the purpose of...

:godancing: Breaking LGBTQ+ Stereotypes! :pride:

We all know there are plenty of stereotypes regarding the LGBTQ+ community, like the butch lesbian who is manlier than half the men on Earth and the effeminate homosexual man who studies drama/theatre. While there are such people in the LGBTQ+ community, not every single LGBTQ+ person is like that! LGBTQ+ people are just like everyone else. :yes:

Tell us how you break LGBTQ+ stereotypes, how someone you know does that, and anything you feel fits the description of going against LGBTQ+ stereotypes! :party: Or simply talk about false LGBTQ+ stereotypes in general, that is fine too. :awesome:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not a butch lesbian :shock:
Reply 2
Original post by Meany Pie
I'm not a butch lesbian :shock:

PRSOM :lol:
I've got a gay physicist male friend who can't sing/dance/act to save his life and dresses in black suits :mmm:

He's more than a mere stereotype. :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm lesbian and a practising Roman Catholic if that counts? People seem to think I have to be one or the other...

:jebus: :awesome: :jebus:
I'm not bisexual because I "can't make my mind up" 👀
Original post by Moonstruck16
I'm not bisexual because I "can't make my mind up" 👀

:holmes:

Are you sure?
Reply 7
I am asexual. I have been told by real life friends that they do not believe me because I am a 'too loving and warm' person to be asexual. :wtf: I did not know I had to be a psychopath with no feelings or that a heart of stone was necessary to be asexual. :lol:

A lot of people seem to think that if someone is asexual, they will never get into a romantic relationship, and that if they do, they must not be asexual. That is not how it works at all! :sigh: There are many reasons why any human might enter a relationship, ranging from the classic sexual or romantic attraction to curiosity to companionship to money. For asexuals, the reason is simply not going to be sexual attraction. Some asexuals are romantic asexuals, so they still feel romantic attraction, even if they do not feel sexual attraction. These two things might be interlinked, but they are not the same thing.

Another misconception about asexuals is that they simply 'have not found the right person' or that 'they must be attracted to something (to be read as men or women) '. Again, that is not how it works, and the definition of asexuality is literally not feeling sexual attraction, so yes, they can feel no sexual attraction to men or women. :colonhash:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Meany Pie
:holmes:

Are you sure?

Well...I'm young...no need to settle right now... :wink:
Reply 9
I'm not sure if this is a stereotype as such but I've heard so many people say that bisexual people are more likely to cheat on their partners which makes no sense at all...
Original post by UWS
I'm not sure if this is a stereotype as such but I've heard so many people say that bisexual people are more likely to cheat on their partners which makes no sense at all...

Busted... :emo:

Quick Reply

Latest