The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

LGBTQ+ only accomodation

Hi, I'm hoping to go to Sheffield this year to study digital media! I just wanted to know if there's any other prospective students thinking of using LGBTQ+ only housing for first year, or if there are any students who have previously been in LGBTQ+ accommodation to share their experiences!
Thanks so much <3
Original post by insecttown
Hi, I'm hoping to go to Sheffield this year to study digital media! I just wanted to know if there's any other prospective students thinking of using LGBTQ+ only housing for first year, or if there are any students who have previously been in LGBTQ+ accommodation to share their experiences!
Thanks so much <3

Hi!

Unfortunately I don't have any direct experience with staying purely in the housing you mention here, but in my first year at the University of Sheffield I stayed in a block called Rivelin within the Endcliffe student village and found the entire experience to be extremely welcoming, diverse and inclusive. If you did decide to stay at any of the University of Sheffield student accommodations, you will also have the added bonus of a residence life mentor, who operate as your first port of call if you had any issues or queries during your stay there. If you have any questions about this experience then please do feel free to ask away.

The application process itself for accommodation involves a form that you can fill out with any preferences or additional information you may wish to add, for example a mixed or single gender flat. On the application itself there is also an opportunity to write a short bio about yourself which is public for other applicants to view, which means that when you do decide to choose a flat you will be able to read a little bit about the possible students within the specific flat itself. I hope this gives you some peace of mind about the process, if you had any worries surrounding this area.

On an additional note, if you wish to speak with current digital media students, you will be able to contact them via our ambassador platform here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat . I hope this helps!

Ellie (3rd year English Language and Linguistics student) 🙂
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Anonymous
why would this be a thing?? That's like having accommodation based on race or some other differing factor humans have. Anyway, one of the main points of uni is to meet people who are different to you, don't segregate yourself from others with whom you aren't the same.

It means youre not gonna to be put in accom with homophobes etc and means you have something in common with your roommates to bond over. its a choice to use a safe space, not segregation 🤦*♀️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending