The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Math1791
Could someone please tell me what C1 and C2 are? Basically a professor said that you must ensure you know the content of these two modules inside out. Being an international applicant I do not know what they are.

Core 1 and core 2 maths modules, its different for different exam boards, but here's ocr:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-mathematics-3890-3892-7890-7892/
So ive got my results now. I got a merit in the AEA this year with 86 in D2. will these not stellar results impact the chance of an offer?
my modules so far are C1 97 C2 87 C3 100 C4 97 FP1 95 M1 98 S1 100 D1 90 and D2 86. Not too bad but i would imagine marginal for Cambridge. any thoughts?
Reply 102
Original post by tomahawker314
So ive got my results now. I got a merit in the AEA this year with 86 in D2. will these not stellar results impact the chance of an offer?
my modules so far are C1 97 C2 87 C3 100 C4 97 FP1 95 M1 98 S1 100 D1 90 and D2 86. Not too bad but i would imagine marginal for Cambridge. any thoughts?

they're fine
oh right thats a relief bro, cheers :wink:
Original post by shamika
They used to though, which is why DFranklin said what he did :wink:

Original post by Zacken
I figured as much. :tongue:
Actually I was just wrong (ASSuMEd they did). Would have posted to that effect but didn't want to clutter the thread... But as it seems that cause is lost I might as well own up to it...! :tongue:

As I said in the AEA thread, high boundaries; find out your raw mark and get it clearly stated if it's high (ask your school's Exams Officer). Cam may even ask for it.

Also your 87 in C2 is the most obv 'blip', albeit barely. They'll care little for D2/86. And well done btw.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Physics Enemy
As I said in the AEA thread, high boundaries; find out your raw mark and get it clearly stated if it's high (ask your school's Exams Officer). Cam may even ask for it.

Also your 87 in C2 is the most obv 'blip', albeit barely. They'll care little for D2/86. And well done btw.

I got the impression Cambridge don't give a rat's arse about decision from the open day, pity the head of year insists on it in the grounds of 'higher results' lol. Anyway I've arranged with my more cooperative maths teacher to do m2 M3 and fp3 for as further additional to get me step 3 ready with content while also improving a* further maths chances. Thanks for the encouragement mate.
I got the impression Cambridge don't give a rat's arse about decision from the open day, pity the head of year insists on it in the grounds of 'higher results' lol.

I might have missed a post but what does the open day have to do with it? Was this a Cambridge open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
I might have missed a post but what does the open day have to do with it? Was this a Cambridge open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was replying to physics enemy who said that my 86 in D2 wouldn't be of great interest to Cambridge with some anecdotal experience I had from the open day in July talking to current students and post grads etc. . Hope that clears things up a bit.

DFranklin

Yes, may be good to do AS Add FM if you want to do more mech/stats and think it's handy for STEP 3. I'd do it alongside 3 A-Levels not 4. Funny you have to do 15 modules due to pointless D/stats and reforms.

On edexcel's S1-S4; what the hell is that? Padded it out with pointless tests etc. I covered bulk of it in S1-S2 in AQA FM. I did Maths in final year of pre-core spec, so M1-M3 and (bit more than) C1-C4. I did most of mech in M1-M4 now, enough for STEP 3. Did FP1-FP4 in FM too.

So ~14 units worth of solid content, inc a few harder exams, in 2 A-Levels. Pre-core it's P1-P3 & M1-M3 for Maths, P4/P5/M4 for AS FM = ready for STEP 3.
(edited 6 years ago)
I got the impression Cambridge don't give a rat's arse about decision from the open day, pity the head of year insists on it in the grounds of 'higher results' lol. Anyway I've arranged with my more cooperative maths teacher to do m2 M3 and fp3 for as further additional to get me step 3 ready with content while also improving a* further maths chances. Thanks for the encouragement mate.
If you want to do extra topics (outside the ones you'd be doing anyway for M/FM) to get "STEP 3" ready I really would advise specifically aiming at the content of the STEP 3 syllabus (or a subset thereof), rather than following the A-level specifications.

There's a lot of dross (particularly on the stats side) that you're never going to get asked about in STEP, and conversely there are topics that come up regularly in STEP that are barely mentioned (or not mentioned!) in the A-level specs.
Original post by DFranklin
If you want to do extra topics (outside the ones you'd be doing anyway for M/FM) to get "STEP 3" ready I really would advise specifically aiming at the content of the STEP 3 syllabus (or a subset thereof), rather than following the A-level specifications.

There's a lot of dross (particularly on the stats side) that you're never going to get asked about in STEP, and conversely there are topics that come up regularly in STEP that are barely mentioned (or not mentioned!) in the A-level specs.

Unfortunately the stats is the mandatory modules of the school for further maths in the second year, with decision in the first year. I take physics also so I figured that m2 M3 would be relatively little work and would improve my physics too. I understand that step 3 mechanics is edecxel M3 plus a couple of things. I have checked the Siklos' spec Vs the edecxel spec and while it's not perfect it's not too bad, so I may as well get a qualification from it.
Unfortunately the stats is the mandatory modules of the school for further maths in the second year, with decision in the first year. I take physics also so I figured that m2 M3 would be relatively little work and would improve my physics too. I understand that step 3 mechanics is edecxel M3 plus a couple of things. I have checked the Siklos' spec Vs the edecxel spec and while it's not perfect it's not too bad, so I may as well get a qualification from it.
It's up to you, but being honest, I don't think anyone is going to be very interested in an AFM AS qualification if you have full M/FM, so I wouldn't put much weight on getting the extra qualification. On the other hand, M2 + M3 are certainly worth doing in their own right. (It's the fact you've done the essentially useless D1+D2 modules that leaves you needing to do "extra" modules, really).
Original post by DFranklin
It's up to you, but being honest, I don't think anyone is going to be very interested in an AFM AS qualification if you have full M/FM, so I wouldn't put much weight on getting the extra qualification. On the other hand, M2 + M3 are certainly worth doing in their own right. (It's the fact you've done the essentially useless D1+D2 modules that leaves you needing to do "extra" modules, really).

From what Zacken says, they won't even be useful for IB Optimisation as they've changed the schedules...
What is the difference between taking P1, P2 and P3 or C1,C2,C3 and C4?
Reply 115

You'll have to expand. Is this for the new spec? What exam board? Or are you comparing old spec v/s CIE? Or...?

P1-P3 was similar to C1-C4, but you had a few proofs e.g.) diff by 1st principles, irrationality, summations + 1-2 extra chapters. Exams were a bit harder. Main change was ditching mandatory M1-M3 or S1-S3 in A-Level Maths.

It was pre-reform to core in 06/07, can't do it anymore. There was P1-P6, M1-M6, S1-S5. Further Maths had topics like group theory, ricatti eqns, extra conics etc. Exams were a bit harder too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Physics Enemy
P1-P3 was similar to C1-C4, but you had a few proofs e.g.) diff by 1st principles, irrationality, summations + 1-2 extra chapters. Exams were a bit harder. Main change was ditching M3/S3 in A-Level Maths.

It was pre-reform to core in 06/07, can't do it anymore. There was P1-P6, M1-M6, S1-S5. Further Maths had topics like group theory, ricatti eqns, extra conics etc. Exams were a bit harder too.

Makes me wonder why the hell it changed, A level maths is more or less the pure we do now in up to further. Sounds like it covers step far better than it does now
Makes me wonder why the hell it changed, A level maths is more or less the pure we do now in up to further. Sounds like it covers step far better than it does now

Yes lol, P1-P5 and M1-M3 is enough for STEP 3 now, just 8 modules. I don't know if they trimmed STEP content a bit due to the reforms.

A-Level Maths + AS FM was deffo enough for STEP 3 back then tho (P1-P5 + M1-M4 or P1-P6 and M1-M3). I'm sure these people got STEP 2/3 offers too.

If there was an A* then it would've been a good discriminator, having to get 90%+ across those.

On STEP, apparently they're reforming it due to linear reforms and full FM being compulsory for everyone.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
No. You don't get any kind of formula sheet etc either.

thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending