The Student Room Group

You think i'd be able to do it?

Hello, I'm a new year 11 GCSE student, sitting the new 9-1 GCSE's

I wanted to ask, would you think I'd be able to get 3 8's by working 4 hours weekdays and 5 hours weekends, I've done it before.

I'm a bright student, doing triple science, love science, just full committment into everything

You think its possible?
Original post by ScienceKing121

I wanted to ask, would you think I'd be able to get 3 8's by working 4 hours weekdays and 5 hours weekends, I've done it before.

I'm a bright student, doing triple science, love science, just full committment into everything

You think its possible?

Do you think I could run 100m in 9.8 secs?
Yes. GCSE science is relatively simple. Grade 9 content isn't that difficult (percentage yield 6 markers, etc.). Be sure to memorise all formulas and be able to calculate using them e.g. mole calculations, energy in Physics, magnification in Bio, etc. Learn all the practicals and do past papers/specimen papers. Should easily get 9s.
Original post by Reality Check
Do you think I could run 100m in 9.8 secs?

I'll take that as a yes because anything is possible my friend.
Original post by thekidwhogames
Yes. GCSE science is relatively simple. Grade 9 content isn't that difficult (percentage yield 6 markers, etc.). Be sure to memorise all formulas and be able to calculate using them e.g. mole calculations, energy in Physics, magnification in Bio, etc. Learn all the practicals and do past papers/specimen papers. Should easily get 9s.

Thanks for your reply, Im not the best with numbers, but do know how to tolerate them, I love biology, so not worried about it at all, but chemistry, mainly quantitative chemistry is a bit of a struggle, but I gotta just practice those, no other way to beat them.

I wish to do Bio, Chem and Psychology for A-Level and need 3 A's for dentistry.
Thanks for your reply, Im not the best with numbers, but do know how to tolerate them, I love biology, so not worried about it at all, but chemistry, mainly quantitative chemistry is a bit of a struggle, but I gotta just practice those, no other way to beat them.

I wish to do Bio, Chem and Psychology for A-Level and need 3 A's for dentistry.

Just be sure to learn all the forumlas and understand the concepts e.g. titrations, moles, Avagadro's constant, etc. I'm also going into year 11 but have found the new science gcse 9-1 not early as hard as I thought it would be. It's only a bit harder than the old spec with new concepts (that aren't developed) unlike Maths which has gotten signficantly harder.
[QUOTE="thekidwhogames;73390592"]Just be sure to learn all the forumlas and understand the concepts e.g. titrations, moles, Avagadro's constant, etc. I'm also going into year 11 but have found the new science gcse 9-1 not early as hard as I thought it would be. It's only a bit harder than the old spec with new concepts (that aren't developed) unlike Maths which has gotten signficantly harder.[/QUOTE

I totally agree, I do still struggle with Maths, any tips for that, my main concern would probably be that your teacher teaches you one thing, the examples another but exam questions are a completely different ball game

Its like the questions asking you to work out area of the sun with the formula for the area of a triangle.
[QUOTE="ScienceKing121;73390668"]
Original post by thekidwhogames
Just be sure to learn all the forumlas and understand the concepts e.g. titrations, moles, Avagadro's constant, etc. I'm also going into year 11 but have found the new science gcse 9-1 not early as hard as I thought it would be. It's only a bit harder than the old spec with new concepts (that aren't developed) unlike Maths which has gotten signficantly harder.[/QUOTE

I totally agree, I do still struggle with Maths, any tips for that, my main concern would probably be that your teacher teaches you one thing, the examples another but exam questions are a completely different ball game

Its like the questions asking you to work out area of the sun with the formula for the area of a triangle.

Just learn all the content in Maths - all the theorems, formulas, etc. Do past papers, practice new spec papers, CGP workbook, justmaths & mathsgenie worksheets, watch videos from mathsgenie & mathswatch & hegartymaths, do all the PAST PAPERS, all the practice/mock/pixel papers, all Churchill papers, etc. Also, do problem solving. Questions like that utilise some sort of knowledge - e.g. a compound shape can be cut into smaller regular shapes that you can calculate areas of, etc.
I'm doing the new gcse too and want to work some what like that. I think as long as you know your revision style it should be fine. Cos alot of people just sit down read a book for 10 hours but they get rubbish grades because they don't know what works for them.
Reply 9
gcse is easy as and nothing is impossible
Of course.
I'll take that as a yes because anything is possible my friend.

He's saying that we have no idea what your ability is, and whether you will be able to handle it. The only person who knows is you.
Original post by _gcx
He's saying that we have no idea what your ability is, and whether you will be able to handle it. The only person who knows is you.

Sometimes, it feels like only you actually 'get it'.
Yes, but I'd say 4 hours on a weekday on top of school is too much. 2 hours on top of homework is much more feasible, especially at the beginning of the year.

You think its possible?

Yes, you probably could. GCSE's don't actually require that much revision, a part from in the last few weeks to revive your memory..

But honestly, appreciate the time you have to not have to work, as when you leave school the pressure to take on that responsibility is more intense and you will wish that you don't have to!

Of course, on the plus side it shows great work ethic, working from a young age.

My personal preference would be to let myself be a kid for a little longer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest