The Student Room Group

Missing lectures in 3rd year due to commuting?

Currently a 2nd year student, I relatively enjoy my course but my uni environment depresses me so much and I find I work & feel better at home. I've been living at uni for 1st and 2nd year and barely attended lectures due to my mental health slipping but still been getting fairly good grades. I've been thinking of commuting from home for 3rd year, it'd be just over 2 hours on the train but I wouldn't be going in every day as in third year most of the work is dissertation based. Even though I'd be away from uni I think I'd work better than I do now, especially because closer to home I'd have access to more resources relating to my dissertation anyway. I just don't know if it's worth it because some people say third year is more intense and I'd like to get a 1st, or at least a 2:1 so I don't know if it'd be better to be closer to uni facilities (even though I'd only be using the library as my degree is essay based). I'd really appreciate some general perspective, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by strangledleaf
Currently a 2nd year student, I relatively enjoy my course but my uni environment depresses me so much and I find I work & feel better at home. I've been living at uni for 1st and 2nd year and barely attended lectures due to my mental health slipping but still been getting fairly good grades. I've been thinking of commuting from home for 3rd year, it'd be just over 2 hours on the train but I wouldn't be going in every day as in third year most of the work is dissertation based. Even though I'd be away from uni I think I'd work better than I do now, especially because closer to home I'd have access to more resources relating to my dissertation anyway. I just don't know if it's worth it because some people say third year is more intense and I'd like to get a 1st, or at least a 2:1 so I don't know if it'd be better to be closer to uni facilities (even though I'd only be using the library as my degree is essay based). I'd really appreciate some general perspective, thanks.

When you say "it'd be just over 2 hours on the train" -- do you mean it would be 2 hours in each direction (so 4 hours in total); one 1 hour in each direction (for 2 hours total per day)?

How long with your door-to-door journey be (i.e. from closing the front door of your house to sitting down in a lecture theatre)? That would include your travel time from home to the railway station, and from the station at the other end to the university.

Do you know that most of the work in the 3rd year is dissertation-based? Have you checked your course's structure to be sure that's the case?

There's a bit of a contradiction when you say "closer to home I'd have access to more resources relating to my dissertation" and then, when talking about uni facilities you say "I'd only be using the library as my degree is essay based".
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by martin7
When you say "it'd be just over 2 hours on the train" -- do you mean it would be 2 hours in each direction (so 4 hours in total); one 1 hour in each direction (for 2 hours total per day)?

How long with your door-to-door journey be (i.e. from closing the front door of your house to sitting down in a lecture theatre)? That would include your travel time from home to the railway station, and from the station at the other end to the university.

Do you know that most of the work in the 3rd year is dissertation-based? Have you checked your course's structure to be sure that's the case?

There's a bit of a contradiction when you say "closer to home I'd have access to more resources relating to my dissertation" and then, when talking about uni facilities you say "I'd only be using the library as my degree is essay based".

It would be 2 hours per journey, so 4 hours in total. I have also discussed with my programme leader and confirmed that third year content is mainly dissertation based. I meant by the final statement that if I stayed close to uni for third year, the only facility I would be using is the library (as in I wouldn’t need to be present for practical work) which I could access online or take books/resources out from local institutions while at home instead.
Good luck with that.

Hi @strangledleaf,

It is great that you have spoken to your programme leader about it already. Do you know how many days you would be commuting for each week?

Do you intend to attend lectures in your third year? If so, can you see yourself commuting potentially 4-5 days a week?

I commute but I live about 15-20 minutes drive so it is not as far as 2 hours and still find the commute a bit annoying but I do use campus facilities a lot. It is good to see you are factoring in whether you would use the facilities or not as that is key to your decision I think.

Of course, no one can make this decision apart from you but I hope this helped a bit. Do you have friends/family you could ask advice from? or if you have already spoken to them what have they said?

Good luck!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there,

I think that you should talk this decision through with your tutor. Find out if your lectures are recorded and work out if this is financially viable (as commuting can be so expensive). You should ask your tutor how realistic this is - you may find yourself having to commute multiple days a week for just an hour or two.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff uni rep
Reply 7

Hi, I'm currently in my third year and have found that my attendance has actually been the lowest compared to my previous two years of study just because I feel like some lessons are not relevant to my assignments. I think if you know where you work best you should follow that. Just try to attend where you can and make sure attendance isn't on your back!
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @strangledleaf,

It is great that you have spoken to your programme leader about it already. Do you know how many days you would be commuting for each week?

Do you intend to attend lectures in your third year? If so, can you see yourself commuting potentially 4-5 days a week?

I commute but I live about 15-20 minutes drive so it is not as far as 2 hours and still find the commute a bit annoying but I do use campus facilities a lot. It is good to see you are factoring in whether you would use the facilities or not as that is key to your decision I think.

Of course, no one can make this decision apart from you but I hope this helped a bit. Do you have friends/family you could ask advice from? or if you have already spoken to them what have they said?

Good luck!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi, the exact number of days I would need to be in is unable to be confirmed as next year's timetable is unavailable yet, but I have been informed contact hours would be around 30-40 hours per semester for each unit (which I have 2 of each semester) -- so likely a good few hours each week.

I do intend to go to lectures but reasonably I do not think I would be able to attend all of them constantly, especially if the majority of them would be early in the morning. However, I know that I would work consistently better at home and be able to keep up with the work independently more so than at university.

My only concern would be future references (as I plan to do my masters after), I worry that even with good grades, lesser attendance due to commuting limitations may be mentioned especially as I was barely attending in first and the initial semester of second year.

I have spoken to my family, they say that if I only had to go in one or two days a week it may be feasible but they are not sure if it would be the best idea due to the distance. Personally I believe that, even with missing lectures, I would still perform better at home, especially as I would be working independently anyway, but I just worry about future repercussions if my attendance is low in final year.
Original post by cmohamed03
Hi, I'm currently in my third year and have found that my attendance has actually been the lowest compared to my previous two years of study just because I feel like some lessons are not relevant to my assignments. I think if you know where you work best you should follow that. Just try to attend where you can and make sure attendance isn't on your back!

Thank you! That definitely makes sense, I just worry that if my attendance is low consistently (as it has been for first and so far second) it might have an impact on references in the future, especially when applying for masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending