The Student Room Group

How hard is mechanical engineering?

My grades didn't work out for my og course so now I'm looking at mechanical engineering as an alternative, however I never done maths a level so I'd be doing a foundation year. I never done physics either. During gcse etc I never really tried with maths or revised but managed to get a grade 6 which isn't amazing but it's decent. So do you think I'd be able to succeed on a mechanical engineering course at Kent or not ?
Original post by Dont even know
My grades didn't work out for my og course so now I'm looking at mechanical engineering as an alternative, however I never done maths a level so I'd be doing a foundation year. I never done physics either. During gcse etc I never really tried with maths or revised but managed to get a grade 6 which isn't amazing but it's decent. So do you think I'd be able to succeed on a mechanical engineering course at Kent or not ?

This is going to be a tough ask, did you consider taking a year out and retaking A levels instead? Mech eng is in no sense an easy option, particularly trying to do the required maths and physics in 1 year.
Reply 2
Original post by Dont even know

Hi, what course were you considering to do at first, and why you are considering mechanical now? Also, a foundation year is a good idea it will provide you with the skills you need to get to the same level as everyone else. But doing it at Kent with no previous experience will be a big jump - so you will have to do work hard from the start to do it..

Original post by UserM09
Hi, what course were you considering to do at first, and why you are considering mechanical now? Also, a foundation year is a good idea it will provide you with the skills you need to get to the same level as everyone else. But doing it at Kent with no previous experience will be a big jump - so you will have to do work hard from the start to do it..

My original course was radiography at exeter but yeah it fell through, I'm still waiting on other radiography clearing courses tho so maybe I'll be able to make it back on their, mechanical engineering was just a consideration

My original course was radiography at exeter but yeah it fell through, I'm still waiting on other radiography clearing courses tho so maybe I'll be able to make it back on their, mechanical engineering was just a consideration.
Honestly I think you’ll struggle. Engineering is essentially applied physics, and mathematics is really the language of engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest