The Student Room Group

Access to nursing - Learn direct and applying to uni - certificates

Hi if someone could help me that would be great! I'd also love some advice from people who have completed or are currently studying the access course. I am considering applying to the access to nursing and am hoping to finish the course in 6 months.. is this realistic? This lovely guy on the phone told me that I'd need to complete 5 units to be able to receive predictions and a reference for uni. There is 16 units in total. Apparently the first two units aren't too hard as they're about academic writing etc and I have looked at the other three and I think it can be doable as I have self taught three AS levels before without doing exams so I think I'll be ok.

I also work part-time and they're very flexible so that won't be an issue. I have a lot of hours free and I was supposed to do an access course in september at a college but they messed me around and then weeks after the actual starting date got rid of the course as there wasn't enough people. I should have found this sooner but now that I have, I really want to get into university.

If going next year (2025) is more realistic please let me know but I'd prefer to go in 2024 as I was hoping to go then if I was at college.

But the thing that is worrying me is that the certificates wont be sent until 12-16 weeks which isn't good timing at all. I'm hoping to finish the course in July. Do universities need this certificate?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by accesstonursing
Hi if someone could help me that would be great! I'd also love some advice from people who have completed or are currently studying the access course. I am considering applying to the access to nursing and am hoping to finish the course in 6 months.. is this realistic? This lovely guy on the phone told me that I'd need to complete 5 units to be able to receive predictions and a reference for uni. There is 16 units in total. Apparently the first two units aren't too hard as they're about academic writing etc and I have looked at the other three and I think it can be doable as I have self taught three AS levels before without doing exams so I think I'll be ok.

I also work part-time and they're very flexible so that won't be an issue. I have a lot of hours free and I was supposed to do an access course in september at a college but they messed me around and then weeks after the actual starting date got rid of the course as there wasn't enough people. I should have found this sooner but now that I have, I really want to get into university.

If going next year (2025) is more realistic please let me know but I'd prefer to go in 2024 as I was hoping to go then if I was at college.

But the thing that is worrying me is that the certificates wont be sent until 12-16 weeks which isn't good timing at all. I'm hoping to finish the course in July. Do universities need this certificate?

Hey I am also in similar situation. How is everything going?
Reply 2
Hi!

I completed my Access to HE via distance learning in 2021. I completed it in around 6/7 months (whilst working full time) so it is totally possible! When you submit an assessment for a unit, they usually give you the materials for the next unit so you can work on that whilst your assessment is being marked.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by dbhc2411
Hi!

I completed my Access to HE via distance learning in 2021. I completed it in around 6/7 months (whilst working full time) so it is totally possible! When you submit an assessment for a unit, they usually give you the materials for the next unit so you can work on that whilst your assessment is being marked.

Good luck!

Hi, I only work part time but its great to see that you were able to do it whilst working full time. I only have about 5 months to do the access course due to moderation deadline at the end of may, to apply for 2024 entry for University. Do you have any advice on access courses and which provider did you use.
Reply 4
Original post by Aishay14
Hi, I only work part time but its great to see that you were able to do it whilst working full time. I only have about 5 months to do the access course due to moderation deadline at the end of may, to apply for 2024 entry for University. Do you have any advice on access courses and which provider did you use.

I can only vouch for https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/course/access-to-he-diploma/
I did my Access to HE with them, and they were fantastic!
Reply 5
Original post by dbhc2411
I can only vouch for https://www.distancelearningcentre.com/course/access-to-he-diploma/
I did my Access to HE with them, and they were fantastic!

I am also looking into the distance learning centre

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending