The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance at Oxford?

I want to apply for Maths. At GCSE I got 8 A*s and 4 As with an E in FSMQ Additional Maths from an average/slightly below average state school.

At AS in Maths and Further Maths, I got 2 As, but my UMS wasn't too great as I got a C in FP1 and B in M1 but I know Oxford doesn't look for that.

If I do well in the MAT and interview, do I still stand a chance?

Also while you're here, my other universities I'll be applying to are Warwick, UCL, Bath, and Bristol. If I don't apply to Oxford, should I apply to Imperial instead, or are there any other suggestions?
Reply 1
Original post by MurphyLikesMaths
I want to apply for Maths. At GCSE I got 8 A*s and 4 As with an E in FSMQ Additional Maths from an average/slightly below average state school.

At AS in Maths and Further Maths, I got 2 As, but my UMS wasn't too great as I got a C in FP1 and B in M1 but I know Oxford doesn't look for that.

Also while you're here, my other universities I'll be applying to are Warwick, UCL, Bath, and Bristol. If I don't apply to Oxford, should I apply to Imperial instead, or are there any other suggestions?

Did you go to an inner city school/6th form? Are you from a group traditionally under represented at unis? If so, its worth a punt on your application as they have a quota of state school applicants to fill. If all else fails, you could go to a good alternative, get a really good degree and apply to Oxford for MA and take it from there. Having said that, Oxford and Cambridge are pricey places to live and study. Go for the best uni for your chosen subject according to end results- you might be surprised where these are. Good luck!

What are your predicted grades?

A good MAT score is key to getting an interview. After that, it's down to you. If your predicted grades are good, then please do apply.

Imperial's offers are typically above Oxford's. Depending on exactly what you're applying for, they may also see your MAT result. I would personally apply to both, unless you have decided against London because of its cost.
Reply 3
Yes you stand a chance, no need to worry
Original post by RogerOxon
What are your predicted grades?

A good MAT score is key to getting an interview. After that, it's down to you. If your predicted grades are good, then please do apply.

Imperial's offers are typically above Oxford's. Depending on exactly what you're applying for, they may also see your MAT result. I would personally apply to both, unless you have decided against London because of its cost.

Thanks for the advice. I'm predicted A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science. I think I'm pretty good at the MAT as I've already done some preparation since about Christmas, and yeah I might as well apply for Imperial since they use the MAT.
I'm predicted A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science. I think I'm pretty good at the MAT as I've already done some preparation since about Christmas, and yeah I might as well apply for Imperial since they use the MAT.

Congratulations on the grades.

If you're applying for Maths and CS, then Imperial doesn't require the MAT.
Original post by RosyK
Did you go to an inner city school/6th form? Are you from a group traditionally under represented at unis? If so, its worth a punt on your application as they have a quota of state school applicants to fill.

Sorry, but this is incorrect - there are no quotas at Oxford (for state schools applicants or otherwise).

Your GCSEs are great, but your C in FP1 and B in M1 are concerning. Are you (and your teachers) confident that you can get an A* in both Maths and Further Maths? Were there any extenuating circumstances behind the FP1 and M1 grades? We won't know your individual module grades unless you declare them on your UCAS form, but if there were any extenuating circumstances it's vital you get your teacher to mention them in the teacher reference.
Original post by OxfordMathsDept
Sorry, but this is incorrect - there are no quotas at Oxford (for state schools applicants or otherwise).

Your GCSEs are great, but your C in FP1 and B in M1 are concerning. Are you (and your teachers) confident that you can get an A* in both Maths and Further Maths? Were there any extenuating circumstances behind the FP1 and M1 grades? We won't know your individual module grades unless you declare them on your UCAS form, but if there were any extenuating circumstances it's vital you get your teacher to mention them in the teacher reference.

Would the E in the FSMQ Additional Maths be a big problem? I guess I did have some family related problems around the exam-period as my dad (who I rarely see) came over from New Zealand unexpectedly to visit, so I was quite flustered.

I and my teachers are both confident that I can achieve A*s in Maths and Further Maths though. Would it be needed to retake FP1 and M1, or should I just not list my module grades on UCAS?
I and my teachers are both confident that I can achieve A*s in Maths and Further Maths though. Would it be needed to retake FP1 and M1, or should I just not list my module grades on UCAS?

I wouldn't list your module grades unless a university that you're applying to requires it. High predicted grades and a good MAT score should be enough to get an interview IMO, but the latter isn't easy. Good luck!
Would the E in the FSMQ Additional Maths be a big problem? I guess I did have some family related problems around the exam-period as my dad (who I rarely see) came over from New Zealand unexpectedly to visit, so I was quite flustered.

The E isn't great, but it's not enough to rule you out.

Regarding retaking - the way Further Maths A-level is graded, you'll need at least 480/600 in your Further Maths units and at least 270/300 in your Further Maths A2 units. To get an A* in Maths A-level you'll need 480/600 in all your Maths units and at least 180/200 in C3 and C4. Your M1 can count towards either qualification and FP1 will only count towards Further Maths, but both will only be contributing to your overall average (as neither are A2 units). You know your precise UMS, so it's probably worthwhile sitting down and working out what the range of marks you can get in your year 13 exams is (and still achieve an A*) and whether that's broad enough, or whether it's worthwhile retaking to have some extra leeway.

Regarding retaking - the way Further Maths A-level is graded, you'll need at least 480/600 in your Further Maths units and at least 270/300 in your Further Maths A2 units. To get an A* in Maths A-level you'll need 480/600 in all your Maths units and at least 180/200 in C3 and C4. Your M1 can count towards either qualification and FP1 will only count towards Further Maths, but both will only be contributing to your overall average (as neither are A2 units). You know your precise UMS, so it's probably worthwhile sitting down and working out what the range of marks you can get in your year 13 exams is (and still achieve an A*) and whether that's broad enough, or whether it's worthwhile retaking to have some extra leeway.

Thank you, I worked out that assuming I get 180 for C3 and C4, I'd only need 39 in the other module so that should be fine. With Further Maths, the 270/300 would be more than enough anyway for 480/600 so I should be good as long as I can do that. I don't think I'll retake any modules as a result.

Thank you for the advice.

Would I still stand a chance if I retake the two modules that went badly? My maths teacher wants me to do them because I'll be looking at 64 extra UMS if I get 100% in both, although it won't impact my overall grade in both AS levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending