The Student Room Group

Would I be able to cope?

I'm doing History, Geography, Law & Physics. I'm unsure on a degree so I want to keep my options open and was considering dropping Law for Maths.

I was never really good at GCSE Maths but I was predicted high, I felt that the teaching was awful and constantly got 3's. A few months before the GCSE exam I worked my butt off on MathsGenie and doing past papers, and managed to get a 7!

I feel that naturally, I am better at the humanities like Geography & History, I understand it easier and they didn't require as much work as Maths. My results show that I am capable at Maths when I put the effort in, however, I'm unsure if I truly enjoy it as I only understood it in the last few months of GCSE. I also feel that I will be behind the other students and behind the A-Level content, as everyone else understood it for years whereas I only understood it for the last few months.

Related to my A-Level choices, at GCSE I got A*AA in History, Geography & Physics
What do you intend to do after A-level? If you're more comfortable with taking law, then you should probably play to your strengths as opposed to jumping into a subject that you're dubious about.
Original post by Fonzworth
I'm doing History, Geography, Law & Physics. I'm unsure on a degree so I want to keep my options open and was considering dropping Law for Maths.

I was never really good at GCSE Maths but I was predicted high, I felt that the teaching was awful and constantly got 3's. A few months before the GCSE exam I worked my butt off on MathsGenie and doing past papers, and managed to get a 7!

I feel that naturally, I am better at the humanities like Geography & History, I understand it easier and they didn't require as much work as Maths. My results show that I am capable at Maths when I put the effort in, however, I'm unsure if I truly enjoy it as I only understood it in the last few months of GCSE. I also feel that I will be behind the other students and behind the A-Level content, as everyone else understood it for years whereas I only understood it for the last few months.

Related to my A-Level choices, at GCSE I got A*AA in History, Geography & Physics

Just so you know Physics A level is very maths heaver. If you are doubtful of your maths ability then it could be a reason to doubt taking physics.
Reply 3
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Just so you know Physics A level is very maths heaver. If you are doubtful of your maths ability then it could be a reason to doubt taking physics.

I’ve seen the maths required for AS Physics and I should be alright as we did it at GCSE
Hey,

This is a bit off-topic but how long did it take you to go from Grade 3 to Grade 7. I need 5 or 6 for University but I am probably working at Grade 2 (although I do have a C, I forgot a lot of maths, even basic algebra)...
I’ve seen the maths required for AS Physics and I should be alright as we did it at GCSE

so you did mechanics at GCSE? The maths that came up in the AS Physics AQA 2017 were very difficult.
Reply 6
Original post by HighFructose
Hey,

This is a bit off-topic but how long did it take you to go from Grade 3 to Grade 7. I need 5 or 6 for University but I am probably working at Grade 2 (although I do have a C, I forgot a lot of maths, even basic algebra)...

I opted into an extra maths class in my school which essentially was doing all the questions from MathsGenie, at home I would watch all the videos until I got the hang of it.

If your school doesn’t have that just find a way to print out all the MathsGenie papers and watch the videos and make sure you understand each topic, ask the teachers for help with anything you don’t get.

I started this about 2/3 months before the exam, definitely do not leave it this early! If it makes you feel any better, before hand I got less than 10 marks for each practice paper, even while I got the hang of each topic by using MathsGenie I didn’t learn very well in class, I personally learnt best in that extra maths class and at home.
I opted into an extra maths class in my school which essentially was doing all the questions from MathsGenie, at home I would watch all the videos until I got the hang of it.

If your school doesn’t have that just find a way to print out all the MathsGenie papers and watch the videos and make sure you understand each topic, ask the teachers for help with anything you don’t get.

I started this about 2/3 months before the exam, definitely do not leave it this early! If it makes you feel any better, before hand I got less than 10 marks for each practice paper, even while I got the hang of each topic by using MathsGenie I didn’t learn very well in class, I personally learnt best in that extra maths class and at home.

Would say an hour a day for 9 months be sufficient for at least a B/6? I would be studying as a private candidate (i.e. self study at home). I dread maths and it would be a challenge as I not only need to revise higher topics but also foundation. But I believe with enough motivation and learning (through websites like MathsGenie), I can do it.
Reply 8
Would say an hour a day for 9 months be sufficient for at least a B/6? I would be studying as a private candidate (i.e. self study at home). I dread maths and it would be a challenge as I not only need to revise higher topics but also foundation. But I believe with enough motivation and learning (through websites like MathsGenie), I can do it.

An hour a day for 9 months might even get you higher, I only did a few hours but you just need to find your way to learn it and my way was through videos
An hour a day for 9 months might even get you higher, I only did a few hours but you just need to find your way to learn it and my way was through videos

I think I prefer online learning. To get my C I started revising 2 weeks before the exam and I was predicted D. Like you I watched videos, did some past papers and practiced questions in my note book,

Sorry for derailing your thread though :P
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
I think I prefer online learning. To get my C I started revising 2 weeks before the exam and I was predicted D. Like you I watched videos, did some past papers and practiced questions in my note book,

Sorry for derailing your thread though :P

No worries, and don’t be afraid to ask any questions, I was in your shoes

Quick Reply

Latest