The Student Room Group

Starting university with pre existing mental health difficulties?

I am a year 13 student looking to go into uni in September - I applied to four Russel Group universities and one non RG and received offers from all of them. Academically, I am not doing too bad - I understand the content of all of my A levels and get good grades (predicted grades AAA). However, I am worried about starting university this year.

Since around halfway through year 12, I have been having a rough time with my mental health, which isn't anything new to me since I have had similar issues in the past years, just never to this extent. While I don't have an official diagnosis, I suppose this could be described as a depressive episode (I am matching all the symptoms of this). My attendance is absolutely horrific at the moment (15%) and my sixth form have been really good at supporting me through this, in that they are letting my poor attendance slide and I get checked in on regularly by my head of sixth form, who is an absolute angel.

Going to university has always been a big goal for me, and I always imagined myself leaving sixth from and transitioning into university (not taking a gap year). I am still stubbornly holding onto this goal, but I am concerned that I won't be able to cope with such a transition at this point in time, considering my current attendance at sixth form, lack of employment, and difficulties with getting out of bed and going about my day-to-day life. I worry that if I try to push myself to go to university this September, I won't be able to manage it and will end up struggling academically and dropping out. It would be a lot of changes happening all at once, especially when all the universities I applied to are 4 hours + away from home. Obviously, things might be different in September, and I might be feeling better by then, but then I could end up spiralling again. University is undeniably a stressful experience, and many students find themselves struggling. I'm worried that I might not be strong enough mentally to cope with it, and that it would only worsen my already quite bad mental state. I considered doing a gap year and waiting until I potentially do feel strong enough to start university, but I fear that this day will never come, so I don't know if it would be best to just push through it and see what happens despite my concerns and doubts.

If anyone has any advice as to what I should do in this situation, that would be great. Also, what sort of support could I look into getting at university, and can I still access such support without having a diagnosis?
Reply 1
There's a lot going on for you here.

First, university will always be there. You don't need to go this year if you feel like you need to make your health the priority. You must prioritise yourself here rather than the ideal of getting to University. Uni can wait.

Second, I think getting a diagnosis would be useful. Not only would this be good in terms of getting some direct intervention and treatment, it is the case that once you have this, more support doors open up to you with your prospective university's support processes, should you opt to go.

Third, tell the university. It's hard, and it can be an awful conversation to have, but they can't put things in place to support you if they don't know. A big, big part of my job is student support and I co-ordinate this for an entire undergraduate cohort in a massive department. It's always worth being up front and direct. Nobody will judge you, but we will be able to get help going to aid you in coping and getting stuff done.

Fourth, be honest with yourself always, and do what you need to in order to protect yourself. If this means interrupting your studies, or even dropping out, then so be it. Youa re more important than a degree programme.
Reply 2
I'd also encourage you to share some of this with people you trust, and to seek their advice, support, and guidance. By and large, these people love you and will want to help. Let them.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest