The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JanitaTwain
Medicine abroad in which country? Bulgaria? I'm thinking of mainly BMAT universities (BSMS, Lancaster) if my UKCAT messes up (mines on 3/09) and I'm looking at Plymouth and Liverpool but both require a decent UKCAT, idk about HYMS and UEA because I don't think my GCSEs are competitive enough tbh.

Cezech republic because its really really nice but ofcourse british unis r way better
Original post by hashman
yoy could i ask you how hard the bmat was and how heavy brighton are for bmat i got 645 in the ukcat really upset about

Personally, I found that the UKCAT is more down to luck on the day whereas good prep can make the BMAT feel easier with less luck involved and the level of prep being more important. BSMS do have a strict overall BMAT cut-off where they add up your BMAT score to give an interview. I'm pretty sure that if all of the other minimum academic requirements are met, they only check your BMAT score for an interview.

PS: Your UKCAT score should be fine for Liverpool, UEA and Plymouth :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by setarcos
Personally, I found that the UKCAT is more down to luck on the day whereas good prep can make the BMAT feel easier with less luck involved and the level of prep being more important. BSMS do have a strict overall BMAT cut-off where they add up your BMAT score to give an interview. I'm pretty sure that if all of the other minimum academic requirements are met, they only check your BMAT score for an interview.

No way thats really cool thanks soooo muchhhhhhhhhh :biggrin:

Do u mind If I ask what you got in your BMAT , ukcat and what reources you used
Original post by hashman
Do u mind If I ask what you got in your BMAT , ukcat and what reources you used

I got 4.5 in s1, 6.5 in s2 and 3A on the essay. My UKCAT avg was 710 band 2.

For the BMAT, the best resource is past papers, they are so valuable! I started off by using the standard 400 BMAT questions book which is ok but not the most useful resource in my opinion. BMAT ninja is quite useful for a bit of practice. For section 2, it's best to review the bmat science guide briefly. For section 3(essay), just practice writing and ask others to read them on TSR.

Hope that helps! Lemme know if you have any other questions :biggrin:
I got 4.5 in s1, 6.5 in s2 and 3A on the essay. My UKCAT avg was 710 band 2.

For the BMAT, the best resource is past papers, they are so valuable! I started off by using the standard 400 BMAT questions book which is ok but not the most useful resource in my opinion. BMAT ninja is quite useful for a bit of practice. For section 2, it's best to review the bmat science guide briefly. For section 3(essay), just practice writing and ask others to read them on TSR.

Hope that helps! Lemme know if you have any other questions :biggrin:

whooaaa thats amazing stats thanks ever soooo muchhhh
Medicine abroad in which country? Bulgaria? I'm thinking of mainly BMAT universities (BSMS, Lancaster) if my UKCAT messes up (mines on 3/09) and I'm looking at Plymouth and Liverpool but both require a decent UKCAT, idk about HYMS and UEA because I don't think my GCSEs are competitive enough tbh.

whats yo gcses mine aint too great either 3A*s 5As 2 Bs
Original post by hashman
whats yo gcses mine aint too great either 3A*s 5As 2 Bs

3A*s8As :frown:
3A*s8As :frown:

Thats really solid tho what unis u applying too?
Original post by hashman
Thats really solid tho what unis u applying too?

Tbh it depends on my UKCAT score, but ideally Plymouth, BSMS, Liverpool and I'm not sure about the fourth one.
Original post by janitatwain
tbh it depends on my ukcat score, but ideally plymouth, bsms, liverpool and i'm not sure about the fourth one.

uea of hyms?
Original post by hashman
uea of hyms?

if my ukcat goes well because apparently they are pretty gcse heavy
Reply 32
Good luck, I had to resit and take a gap year. but here I am going to exeter medical school in a few days. Look at my posts on my profile to see what I went through and did.
Original post by Zahid~
Good luck, I had to resit and take a gap year. but here I am going to exeter medical school in a few days. Look at my posts on my profile to see what I went through and did.

Hi Zahid,

I am taking a gap year and resitting chemistry as I got AAB. I will be predicted an A* in chemistry. Do you know how my a levels will be ranked by Exeter and if they invite applicants in my ranking to interview? My UKCAT is 3010.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 34
Original post by Kathryn_ao
Hi Zahid,

I am taking a gap year and resitting chemistry as I got AAB. I will be predicted an A* in chemistry. Do you know how my a levels will be ranked by Exeter and if they invite applicants in my ranking to interview? My UKCAT is 3010.

Thanks in advance!

Don't bother applying if your prediction isn't A*A*A* tbh. you might get lucky with A*A*A but that's unlikely
Original post by Zahid~
Don't bother applying if your prediction isn't A*A*A* tbh. you might get lucky with A*A*A but that's unlikely

Ok thanks- That makes my choices much easier to make!
Also got AAB, resitting the B in chem. Got 650 average in UKCAT and taking BMAT for BSMS

I got 3 interviews last year but no offers, so my main focus will be interview prep and UKCAT prep which is in a month. Also, I am about to start working as a HCA

Last year application:
King's EMDP - Interview - rejected
Southampton BM6 - Interview - rejected
BSMS - Interview - rejected
Imperial - Pre interview rejection

Quite a lot of extra-curricular

I think my main problem with interviews is nerves and not being coherent, which is something I am going to work on.
Resits are allowed of modules..not of full A-Levels.
Tbh it depends on my UKCAT score, but ideally Plymouth, BSMS, Liverpool and I'm not sure about the fourth one.
Bristol? Only 20% of the overall score is on UKCAT.
Original post by sulaimanali
Resits are allowed of modules..not of full A-Levels.

Bristol allows full A level resits.

Latest

Trending

Trending