The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauren9401
I'm not a 2018 applicant but I guess you guys are the best people to ask! I have two weeks small animal vet work experience arranged for October and next May, however I cannot find any large animal vets near me, and my mum won't let me stay anywhere else. Is large animal vet experience absolutely necessary providing all my other experience is acceptable?

From the ones that I have applied to (Nottingham, Cambridge, Bristol and Liverpool), it is certainly possible to get through the work experience stage without any large vet practices. I know with Liverpool, if you don't have large or mixed, a second small animal vet practice is expected. If it is possible to get large animal vets, I would highly recommend it but if not due to not being close by or factors like that then it is perfectly acceptable to not have any. Just make sure you have done sufficient animal husbandry of livestock and large animals (ie horses).

I know for my mixed/large practice I had to travel 30 miles away each day, luckily my brother had the time to take me!
Original post by Anderson2727
From the ones that I have applied to (Nottingham, Cambridge, Bristol and Liverpool), it is certainly possible to get through the work experience stage without any large vet practices. I know with Liverpool, if you don't have large or mixed, a second small animal vet practice is expected. If it is possible to get large animal vets, I would highly recommend it but if not due to not being close by or factors like that then it is perfectly acceptable to not have any. Just make sure you have done sufficient animal husbandry of livestock and large animals (ie horses).

I know for my mixed/large practice I had to travel 30 miles away each day, luckily my brother had the time to take me!

Okay thank you so much! I am hoping to apply to them four aswell- Nottingham would be the best as it's the closest to me now! Fingers crossed it will be okay for when I apply next October!

I only have my mum to take me and she's at work everyday so I would have no way of getting anywhere far away unfortunately!! I just thought- one of my practices is a mixed vets however they said there's no garuntee that I will be able to gain experience with the large animal side- if I even get half a day out with livestock will that still count?
Original post by lauren9401
Okay thank you so much! I am hoping to apply to them four aswell- Nottingham would be the best as it's the closest to me now! Fingers crossed it will be okay for when I apply next October!

I only have my mum to take me and she's at work everyday so I would have no way of getting anywhere far away unfortunately!! I just thought- one of my practices is a mixed vets however they said there's no garuntee that I will be able to gain experience with the large animal side- if I even get half a day out with livestock will that still count?

Good luck with your future application!

The half day livestock as part of the mixed practice would still count. (Bearing in mind a day is 8 hours sobhalf day is 4 hours). Liverpool let you specify how many days at the mixed practice were small and large. So ideally it would be better to get 1 day as large/livestock - see if you could do 2 days where you spend half a day in the livestock side of the practice.
How does predicted grades work for veterinary. Predicted BBB and considering applying to Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey.
If your predicted grades aren't good enough then I suspect you won't make it through to interview. Edinburgh require AAA, Nottingham and Surrey AAB. Can you get your teachers to up your predictions?
Original post by animalmagic
If your predicted grades aren't good enough then I suspect you won't make it through to interview. Edinburgh require AAA, Nottingham and Surrey AAB. Can you get your teachers to up your predictions?

Don't think I will be able to
That's a shame. You might be best to try and achieve at least AAB, take a gap year and apply with your actual grades.

Original post by VictiniCup
Don't think I will be able to
It ridiculously annoying
Don't think my college have any idea on how to work with them, since they got rid of AS
Also, anyone know dublin's entry requirements
I think they use a points system, it seems quite complicated and obviously the fees are in Euros (for which the current exchange rate isn't good) but this might help you http://www.ucd.ie/registry/admissions/ER_Alevel.html

I applied to Dublin and it is the most complicated application ever! They also have the highest grade requirements.
How seriously do the university's take GCSE exam grades? A friend of mine got Cs in double science, one A and a couple of Bs, so she was just wondering how likely she would be to get a place anywhere?
A lot of them (particulary the RVC and bristol I know) accept GCSE retakes, so would she consider doing that as uni's do tend to take into account GCSE grades (Bristol this year for example base 20% of what they look for is based on GCSE grades)
Does anyone know where I can find the statistics for each of the veterinary universities for the percentage which passed the degree with merit or honours ???
Original post by Anderson2727
Does anyone know where I can find the statistics for each of the veterinary universities for the percentage which passed the degree with merit or honours ???

It was on unistats or one of those websites because I remember seeing it?
Original post by luberry
It was on unistats or one of those websites because I remember seeing it?

Thank you so much! I have been looking everywhere!
How does predicted grades work for veterinary. Predicted BBB and considering applying to Edinburgh, Nottingham and Surrey.

Most Vet Schools want predictions that match the required grades - they dont need to be kind as they will get flooded with good applications at AAA and above. Some may accept one grade below (AAB for an AAA course) but wont go any lower than that - you'll just a straight rejection.

Worth looking to see if you are eligible for a lower 'contextual' offer at any of those Unis (ie. you go to a low performing school) or looking at a Foundation or Gateway year - just check you meet whatever the specific eligibility criteria is set by each Uni.

They use your predicted grades to choose whether to interview you or not. If they aren't high enough they'll likely reject you before interview.
If you look at each university's entry requirements it will state if they have any required GCSE grades and if they do what subject and grade. They seem to vary quite a lot

Original post by CupOfCaramel
How seriously do the university's take GCSE exam grades? A friend of mine got Cs in double science, one A and a couple of Bs, so she was just wondering how likely she would be to get a place anywhere?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending