The Student Room Group

is it worth applying to Oxford Classics?

Gsh
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lucycwxx
I'm thinking about applying to Oxford for the classics course for those who haven't studied Latin or Greek before (I come from a state school). My predicted grades exceed the entry requirements: History: A*, Economics: A* and French A. I also have an A in Ancient history AS (96%). However, I'm most worried about my GCSE grades. They aren't bad but are well below the Oxford average, they're as follows;
English lit A
English lang A
Geography A*
Religious studies A*
Maths B
History A
French A
Biology B
Chemistry B
Physics B
Art C
If I can get a good score in the aptitude test and then if i get one, perform well at interview, would I be in with a chance or would they reject me purely on the grounds of my GCSE grades?

GCSE grades are just one part of the application, your A level grades will be another part of the application - a high score in the assessment and a good performance in the interview may put you in with a chance. The only way to find out is to apply.
Original post by Lucycwxx
I'm thinking about applying to Oxford for the classics course for those who haven't studied Latin or Greek before (I come from a state school). My predicted grades exceed the entry requirements: History: A*, Economics: A* and French A. I also have an A in Ancient history AS (96%). However, I'm most worried about my GCSE grades. They aren't bad but are well below the Oxford average, they're as follows;
English lit A
English lang A
Geography A*
Religious studies A*
Maths B
History A
French A
Biology B
Chemistry B
Physics B
Art C
If I can get a good score in the aptitude test and then if i get one, perform well at interview, would I be in with a chance or would they reject me purely on the grounds of my GCSE grades?

I'd say go for it and aim to smash the admissions assessment. From the statistics on the website, 95% are interviewed for classics and the GCSE B grades are all in science subjects (ie pretty irrelevant for classics). You also send written work, so make sure that is good!
t's worth a shot I would say!

GCSE's are important but so is doing well in the Classics Aptitude Test, your Personal Statement and your Reference. The vast majority of candidates are interviewed, so if you are enthusiastic and perform well at interview you stand as good a chance as any of getting an offer.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions
Reply 4
I am interested in applying as an international student from the US. I have As in all classes and a 33 on the ACT. I have a superscore on the ACT of 34.7. I would like to understand the other critical criteria and suggestions for applying in 2019. @BrasenoseAdm
Original post by wagneann
I am interested in applying as an international student from the US. I have As in all classes and a 33 on the ACT. I have a superscore on the ACT of 34.7. I would like to understand the other critical criteria and suggestions for applying in 2019. @BrasenoseAdm

Hello wagneann,

The grades requirement in the ACT is 32 out of 36, and so it seems that you are eligible on this basis. Note that we ask you to enter all of your scores for any tests taken when you complete your UCAS application, showing the relevant dates for each. This gives us a complete picture of your academic record, rather than just the superscore of your best results.

In addition to this we require APs or SAT Subject Tests in a total of three subjects. If you would like to apply for Classics I then this must include either Latin or Greek, but for Classics II (the beginners' course) there would be no particular subjects required. We'd require these three to be at 5 for an AP or 700 for an SAT Subject Test.

Note that, as well as any qualification you have already completed you should declare qualifications that you intend to complete, and your school should then subsequently provide predicted grades for these qualifications - you can use these to meet the entrance requirements (and your offer would then be conditional).

The full requirements are explained on this page of the University website: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications

These are our minimum requirements, and if you exceed these this may make your application more competitive, but it is not just about qualifications. The other elements of the application process for Classics (I or II) would be:
UCAS Personal Statement - written by you
UCAS Reference - written by your school
Classics Admissions Test - taken at a test center near you
Written Work - two essays you've written at school related to Classics
Interview - if shortlisted

There are no particular weightings given to these aspects of the admissions process and generally those that are successful do reasonably well in all aspects of the process, but a weakness in one can be compensated for with strength in the others. The selection criteria (broken down by individual elements) can be found here: https://www.classics.ox.ac.uk/admissions-criteria-classics-and-joint-schools#collapse281271

Brasenose Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending