The Student Room Group

Are apprenticeships even a thing?

I have been looking for apprenticeships all year and all of last year and i can confidently say i that i have applied to over 50 different apprenticeships and only 3 have called back... there are supposed to be apprenticeship recruitment companies but they don't call back either. Is this whole apprenticeship thing some huge scam to harvest young peoples CV or will someone give me a apprenticeship that is a LEVEL 4 and in IT or Social Media....
Original post by RenaeeSelina
I have been looking for apprenticeships all year and all of last year and i can confidently say i that i have applied to over 50 different apprenticeships and only 3 have called back... there are supposed to be apprenticeship recruitment companies but they don't call back either. Is this whole apprenticeship thing some huge scam to harvest young peoples CV or will someone give me a apprenticeship that is a LEVEL 4 and in IT or Social Media....

Hey, I've moved this to the apprenticeships forum for you, so hopefully you'll get some helpful replies there :smile:
They are a "thing" and do exist, but some apprenticeships, particularly higher apprenticeships in desirable industries, get a large number of applications. They often (in common with many general job advertisments) won't contact candidates who are not successful and simply state that if a reply isn't received within a certain time frame to assume your application was unsuccessful. You should however be able to contact them and request feedback on your application - they just won't provide this without being asked usually.
I'm currently doing a higher apprenticeship in engineering with Johnson & Johnson.
From what I've noticed, myself and the other successful candidates had the following in common:
1. We took hours to complete our application.
2. We noted the qualities what JnJ were looking for and gave examples of where we had demonstrated it.
3. We did extensive research on the background, morales, and history of the company.
4. We explained in detail why we had applied for that role, and gave examples of how we've shown every day interest in that area of engineering throughout.
5. We specifically tailored our applications to the role.

Everyone will have similar qualifications to what you have. Nobody will have your personality. Let your unique character show in your application.

Hope this helps,
Chris
(edited 6 years ago)

Just tagging a few people in
Original post by Danny Dorito
Just tagging a few people in

As mentioned you can keep applying, however you may find better results come from shortlisting the vacancies that interest you, then prioritising the ones you really want to do. Take your time, write down the key skills you can bring to the role and get some advice on how to tailor your application to hopefully get your shortlisted.

Remember, its quality over quantity!

Good luck
Rav
Reply 6
No, they're myths and don't really exist (in this world).

Spoiler

Hi,
I am sorry to hear that you are not having much luck with finding an apprenticeship. A good place to start may be to look at why you are not hearing much back from employers and training providers regarding your apprenticeship applications. It may be the application you have submitted, your CV or possibly not meeting the entry requirements.

There are a range of apprenticeships in I.T available across England, I am unsure where you are in the country but if you haven’t done already you may find the following website useful when looking for vacancies -
https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

Alternatively you can call the National Apprenticeship Service as we have a team of advisers who can support you by offering support with CV writing, application forms, covering letters and interview skills.

I hope this helps and good luck. :smile:
Reply 8
There's a lot of reasons why you may not be getting contacted, but you'll find this is common regardless of the stage of career you're at.

My advice to you is to review your CV asap, and ask a few different people to take a look too. You find that with Apprenticeship CVs that they're lacking a bit in personality and detail (or at least that's my experience when I've been recruiting), so try and get some different opinions, and make sure your IT skills are prominent (and relevant).

It's important that you make your CV count, and that your skills, experience and personality shines through on those two sides of A4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending