The Student Room Group

I need help to make a decision.

I am currently in my first year of Uni studying engineering. to sum up my past in education, i am currently 20. i left school after my GCSEs in June 2019. i started my btec in level 3 engineering, but i didnt enjoy it at first, and when covid hit i completely lost interest, so in september of 2020 instead of continuing with that course i switched to a plumbing course. long story short, in september of 2021, i returned back to finish my original engineering course. from there i passed with a distinction and in september 2022, i joined University to study engineering. fast forward to today, i have finished first year with 65%. Now that i have provided some backstory, my current situation is to stick with Uni, or take a degree apprenticeship offer i have received in the same field. My current course has 3 years remaining with a placement, and the apprenticeship would be 5 years, starting with a salary of 25000. The decision making process has really been driving me crazy, i sat in a park today for 3 hours on my own just thinking and i am still so lost and i dont know why. my biggest fear of leaving university is firstly not enjoying the apprenticeship, as you can see i have chopped and changed enough times now and im getting on lol, so i would like stability and if i dont like the apprenticeship i am screwed. Also, friendships from school wise, i have nothing. everyone i was close with is either selling drugs taking drugs or both. i am very lonely, im worried leaving uni and the people ive met will leave me even worse in that regard, even though i dont have a close relationship with anyone from uni as i commute 1 hour there and on the way back. but still, i feel a fear of missing out on building friendships for life. i dont really know what my question is, i suppose its what would you do in my position ?
Original post by ismmmaln
I am currently in my first year of Uni studying engineering. to sum up my past in education, i am currently 20. i left school after my GCSEs in June 2019. i started my btec in level 3 engineering, but i didnt enjoy it at first, and when covid hit i completely lost interest, so in september of 2020 instead of continuing with that course i switched to a plumbing course. long story short, in september of 2021, i returned back to finish my original engineering course. from there i passed with a distinction and in september 2022, i joined University to study engineering. fast forward to today, i have finished first year with 65%. Now that i have provided some backstory, my current situation is to stick with Uni, or take a degree apprenticeship offer i have received in the same field. My current course has 3 years remaining with a placement, and the apprenticeship would be 5 years, starting with a salary of 25000. The decision making process has really been driving me crazy, i sat in a park today for 3 hours on my own just thinking and i am still so lost and i dont know why. my biggest fear of leaving university is firstly not enjoying the apprenticeship, as you can see i have chopped and changed enough times now and im getting on lol, so i would like stability and if i dont like the apprenticeship i am screwed. Also, friendships from school wise, i have nothing. everyone i was close with is either selling drugs taking drugs or both. i am very lonely, im worried leaving uni and the people ive met will leave me even worse in that regard, even though i dont have a close relationship with anyone from uni as i commute 1 hour there and on the way back. but still, i feel a fear of missing out on building friendships for life. i dont really know what my question is, i suppose its what would you do in my position ?

I can see why you've been struggling with this decision; there's no obvious "best" approach.

If the degree apprenticeship works out (i.e. you enjoy it) then that seems like the best option. You end up with a full undergraduate degree (although it takes longer to obtain), gain a lot of experience, and end-up in better financial position.

However, you might really not like the degree apprenticeship. Your past experience suggests that you won't just be able to plough ahead regardless, and will leave. At which point you'll be a little stuck.

Although you've written about "a fear of missing out on building friendships for life", you also say that right now - a year into your degree - you're "very lonely". So it might be that those life-long friendships don't materialise at university anyway, and that you remain lonely throughout.

What do you know about the company sponsoring the degree apprenticeship? Is it a small or large company? Have you been to visit it (for interview or whatever)? Were there plenty of people your age there? Did everyone seem friendly and welcoming? Is the associated university the same one you're currently studying at (which would make things more familiar)?

I think, if it were me, I'd stick it out at university. There are clearly pro and cons to each approach, but I think I'd want to prove to myself that I could start something and see it through to the end. That has been lacking in your education so far. Committing to something (a course, a job, a relationship), even when things aren't going smoothly, seems like an important life experience to acquire.

Good luck, whichever option you choose.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I can see why you've been struggling with this decision; there's no obvious "best" approach.

If the degree apprenticeship works out (i.e. you enjoy it) then that seems like the best option. You end up with a full undergraduate degree (although it takes longer to obtain), gain a lot of experience, and end-up in better financial position.

However, you might really not like the degree apprenticeship. Your past experience suggests that you won't just be able to plough ahead regardless, and will leave. At which point you'll be a little stuck.

Although you've written about "a fear of missing out on building friendships for life", you also say that right now - a year into your degree - you're "very lonely". So it might be that those life-long friendships don't materialise at university anyway, and that you remain lonely throughout.

What do you know about the company sponsoring the degree apprenticeship? Is it a small or large company? Have you been to visit it (for interview or whatever)? Were there plenty of people your age there? Did everyone seem friendly and welcoming? Is the associated university the same one you're currently studying at (which would make things more familiar)?

I think, if it were me, I'd stick it out at university. There are clearly pro and cons to each approach, but I think I'd want to prove to myself that I could start something and see it through to the end. That has been lacking in your education so far. Committing to something (a course, a job, a relationship), even when things aren't going smoothly, seems like an important life experience to acquire.

Good luck, whichever option you choose.

I appreciate your reply and help. I see you said you stick it out with University, is that solely for the reason of starting something and finishing it or because its the genuine better option? for example, if i told you you would definitely finish the apprenticeship, would you still have that choice ?
Original post by ismmmaln
I appreciate your reply and help. I see you said you stick it out with University, is that solely for the reason of starting something and finishing it or because its the genuine better option? for example, if i told you you would definitely finish the apprenticeship, would you still have that choice ?

Well, I also said "If the degree apprenticeship works out (i.e. you enjoy it) then that seems like the best option." So if you knew you would definitely enjoy it, and not quit, then I think it's probably the better option - certainly financially.

But given your track record, I'd worry that you'd quit university and then quit the degree apprenticeship too - which would leave you nowhere.
If the apprenticeship covers similar content to your current degree, then I'd suggest taking up the apprenticeship. You'll be earning a very decent wage (for an apprentice) and get a degree funded for you. This outweighs staying at university in my opinion, and you'll be gaining valuable skills for future job applications too. I dropped out of studying maths at university to pursue an apprenticeship, but that was because I hated university (both the course and the environment) so is slightly different to your situation. Two of my friends study engineering at university (have just finished second year), and both of them say they wished they'd done an apprenticeship instead as they'd still be getting the same degree, but with a wage and a wealth of experience on top of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending