The Student Room Group

A*A*A* in Physics, Chemistry and Biology, AMA

Took these 3 subjects in A2 and AS. Gave my A2 exams this June and got 3A*s thankfully! So ask me anything (relating to study tips etc)!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mutantninja978
Took these 3 subjects in A2 and AS. Gave my A2 exams this June and got 3A*s thankfully! So ask me anything (relating to study tips etc)!

How did you deal with procrastination and internet distractions?
Why didn’t you take a level maths?
How early did you start revising
Original post by HeadHoncho
Why didn’t you take a level maths?

In my school, we were given the choice of doing either Biology/Maths. Bio was my first choice so I chose it. I did consider taking Maths as well but then I thought it'd be more pressure. Also, our school takes 3 units in January for all students so then with that schedule it'd be quite hectic.
Original post by chelseafc141
How early did you start revising

As our school makes it compulsory for us to do 3 units in Jan and the remaining 6 in June, I had to start revision earlier than say if I'd give all 9 units in June. I kind of started revision from September. Whenever we'd be done with one topic, I'd understand it as much as I could, learn the important bits and then practiced worksheets for that topic from physicsandmathstutor (did this for phy and chem) and I'd try to understand my mistakes but that never really worked. I'd only understand those mistakes when I was doing my past papers. So my "revision" for the final exams has always been as the lessons were taught so that I'd have more time to do past papers+understand them+do them again. Also starting very early on means you can do alot of past papers/worksheets/revision etc over the span of 4-5 months. That way you can study for a few hours roughly every day and still finish all your past papers on time without having to do 5~ past papers a day 2 weeks before the exam. Sorry if I'm rambling tho.. i suck at being concise
(edited 6 years ago)

How did you find the maths in Physics without A-Level Maths?
What were your resources and techniques for Biology in particular? I can never seem to get an A in biology tests and am always a few marks off. The application stuff really confuses me and I never know what to write. No matter how much practice questions I do I continue to get thrown.
How many hours studying on average did you do in a day?

Congratulations on your amazing results! :smile:
Reply 8
did you use physics and maths tutuor exam questions by topic and then redo them till you got 100% or did you do a whole past paper??
i just wanna say HOW THE FUK U GETTING A* in the most constipated and difficult A-level subject like if i was ur parents i would be so proud
Original post by UWS
How did you deal with procrastination and internet distractions?

that's a tough one. i dealt with it well in AS, not so much in A2 (probably because i was becoming immune to the stress and so i procrastinated more lol). if i was noticing that i wasn't fulfilling my daily study goals, then i'd either just not charge my phone (i rarely make/receive phone calls so nbd) (this was v effective for me)
put my phone on ultra power save mode (means no internet but can still use the phone)
delete sc, instagram
also if you're studying something you can understand and you see yourself understanding the questions and getting the answers right, the less distracted you'll be. i've noticed this with myself, so my advice would be whenever you're super distracted but you wanna study something/anything just revise a topic you know really well and solve its questions from a worksheet/past paper. chances are you'll be able to do those questions so you'll stay motivated and continue studying.

Also another tip I found HIGHLY beneficial (only a month before exams when all the content is locked into your brain but you're stuck with past papers and procrastination's hitting hard), take a week or 5 days to only study/learn/practice papers of ONE subject only. That way your memory of the topics of that subject will be fresh for that period (and even after that period if you've been reading the books/notes several times over the year) so you can quickly do past papers and other revision and you'll feel the motivation once you'll see how many past papers you'll do quickly and then you wont procrastinate as much.
how did you revise these for GCSEs?
Also well done, amazing results!
Reply 12

Useful websites?
Which exam board?
Original post by Fonzworth
How did you find the maths in Physics without A-Level Maths?

It was actually fine! Taking A-level Math with Physics is not gonna give you a huge advantage tbh (except for that fact that you'll do the numericals quicker) (all my classmates who took a-level math said the same) as you'll see that a-level physics calculations are mostly gcse-based and i'm sure they've kept these calculations that way so that students who don't take a-level math aren't given a huge unfair advantage
It was actually fine! Taking A-level Math with Physics is not gonna give you a huge advantage tbh (except for that fact that you'll do the numericals quicker) (all my classmates who took a-level math said the same) as you'll see that a-level physics calculations are mostly gcse-based and i'm sure they've kept these calculations that way so that students who don't take a-level math aren't given a huge unfair advantage

Thank you, how did you revise and practice for Physics? Is there any tips you’d give for getting top grades?
Original post by mda2
did you use physics and maths tutuor exam questions by topic and then redo them till you got 100% or did you do a whole past paper??

phyandmathtutor worksheets for relevant topics (did ocr/aqa worksheets for the same topics too to get a better idea)
past papers 2009-2017 (2 times) (except for chemistry)

no i'd only redo the past papers (if i had ALOT of time which i didn't, i'd do worksheets again too) so that I could do the repetitive questions quicker. Also to see if i found the difficult questions still unsolvable and why they were still unsolvable. however in a2, id mostly just redo the difficult questions and that was that :P
Original post by iqra2159
Useful websites?
Which exam board?

Edexcel IAL.
physicsandmathstutor
chemguide

unfortunately none for biology :angry:
Original post by alevalstress
i just wanna say HOW THE FUK U GETTING A* in the most constipated and difficult A-level subject like if i was ur parents i would be so proud

thanks! took alot of hardwork and prayers. and sacrificing alot of fun outdoor activities :frown: and mental health :smile:) but i still maintained my social life at school, took part in games and a debate/speech so i wasn't a complete hermit haha.
Reply 18
what were you revsion techniques for bio?
Original post by Fonzworth
Thank you, how did you revise and practice for Physics? Is there any tips you’d give for getting top grades?

AS: eat the roger muncaster book for a-level physics. it's amazing for AS physics
learn the formulae and definitions and even conditions for e.g. momentum
physicsandmathstutor worksheets
past papers (don't do them twice if you can't. sometimes i'd just go thru the past papers thoroughly and understand the difficult questions and the examiner reports. that's also equally good)

A2: repeat the same except ditch muncaster. stick to hodder a2 physics book and study cosmology online. cosmology ..super important.. you'll only understand it through oast papers+internet

rememeber: start early so that you can study bit by bit each day and be less stressed

Quick Reply

Latest