The Student Room Group

Trigonometry graph?

Do we have to show trigonometry graphs on the answer paper while solving or we can do in rough and right the angles directly?
Please post an example of a question where you think this is an issue.
Reply 2
Original post by old_engineer
Please post an example of a question where you think this is an issue.

Q.3 (ii) (I hope the attachment works)
Can we show the graph in the space provided or we can do in rough?
Will marks be reduced if not shown and only direct answer after the process?
I hope you understand what I mean.
Original post by kundanad

OK, Q3(ii) is a "Hence" question where the examiner is expecting you to apply the result of Q3(i) to solve the trig equation in an efficient way. The main route to the solution is trig identities and algebra. There is no need for curve sketching here, but my personal view is that curve sketching to check a result roughly or to help with visualisation is always a good thing. It may also help the examiner to understand your line of approach.

One small tip: in questions like this, you can always use the given result of part (i) to complete part (ii) even if you were unable to complete the proof in part (i).
Reply 4
Original post by kundanad

The graphs of trigonometric functions aren't needed for that question. They want you to use algebra and identities to simplify the expression into a form so you can solve it.
Reply 5
Original post by old_engineer
OK, Q3(ii) is a "Hence" question where the examiner is expecting you to apply the result of Q3(i) to solve the trig equation in an efficient way. The main route to the solution is trig identities and algebra. There is no need for curve sketching here, but my personal view is that curve sketching to check a result roughly or to help with visualisation is always a good thing. It may also help the examiner to understand your line of approach.

One small tip: in questions like this, you can always use the given result of part (i) to complete part (ii) even if you were unable to complete the proof in part (i).

Oh okay. Thank you :smile:
Still even if I draw it, there would be no problem, since it would be better to understand what I am doing.
Reply 6
Oh okay Thank you.
Original post by Desmos
The graphs of trigonometric functions aren't needed for that question. They want you to use algebra and identities to simplify the expression into a form so you can solve it.

Quick Reply

Latest