The Student Room Group

Why are pro-gun supporters so unwilling to look at instances where gun control works?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Made in the USA
Europe actually has more mass shootings than the US does.

Yeah, that's complete bullsh*t.

Hard to believe,

That's because it's complete bullsh*t.

and something I didn't believe until I looked it up.

Oh I would love to see the studies that convinced you of this.

Show me where it has worked and I'll look at the data.

Australia.
figure_02.gif
http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/tandi/261-280/tandi269.html

There's probably better examples, that's just the one that I remember because Jim Jeffries does a funny sketch about it.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0[/video]
Original post by stoyfan
Good try on the false flag tactic.

Of course, if you weren't intending to do such a thing, then you are just incredibly ignorant.

The fact that you didn't elaborate and you're being so vague shows you're talking crap.
Original post by tyrell221
The fact that you didn't elaborate and you're being so vague shows you're talking crap.

Quite ironic considering you didn't explain how the constitution is racist (e.g giving examples of ammendments that are racist) and how this is even relevant to the discussion.
Original post by EmmaRebecca1997
Following the latest incident in Vegas, the gun issue in America has been brought up again, and all I ever see is Americans ranting about how gun control doesn't work. I don't understand why people who are pro gun are so unwilling to look at instances where gun control works? There are cases where gun control doesn't work, and gun control doesn't stop all violence, but there are countless instances of gun control working? Why are people not even prepared to look at those examples? How many times does something like this need to happen before America actually acknowledges their problem with guns? I know it's tied into money and the fact the government often has their hands tied on the issue, but I'm referring to every day citizens who won't even give it the time of day.

The Vegas shooting was a hoax, just as the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax. Sandy Hook School was closed at the time of the mass shooting. The government wants gun control so that Americans cannot defend themselves against their own government. The government could not care less if Amricans are shooting each other - they want them to shoot each other, because they want to reduce the world population by 90%. The want a New World Order with them at the top and 500 million slaves.
Original post by gondola321
The Vegas shooting was a hoax, just as the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax. Sandy Hook School was closed at the time of the mass shooting. The government wants gun control so that Americans cannot defend themselves against their own government. The government could not care less if Amricans are shooting each other - they want them to shoot each other, because they want to reduce the world population by 90%. The want a New World Order with them at the top and 500 million slaves.

You really need to take your tinfoil hat off kid
Original post by Underscore__
You do realise the NRA isn’t a big political contributor financially? Their influence comes from having five million voters. As a side not they’re also calling for further regulation on bump stocks (not that it’ll mean much, they’re very easy to make yourself)

To be fair the NRA does put a lot of money into the political system and that's one of the problems about the US system. Because unlike here the candidates don't get funding from their parties they need money to campaign. They make deals with politicians that if they vote on bills in favour of firearms sales etc they will give them money. So it creates a never ending cycle where nothing gets done
Original post by L i b
Because, fundamentally, these people believe that gun ownership should be an unfetterred right, not a privilege under the purview of the state.

fixed for you
You really need to take your tinfoil hat off kid

The 'tin foil' insult is wearing very thin. Are you a paid shill?
It kinda looks like the rates in Australia were already dropping before the gun control measures. A line of best fit drawn between the data points before gun control would seem to predict a similar outcome. But I'll admit that's just going by the graphed data.

Anyhow, in the United States, there isn't a very good correlation between gun control or gun ownership and homicide rates by jurisdiction. There is a reason for this.

The majority of murders by firearm are committed by illegally acquired firearms (typically a handgun) which can be traced back to only a very small percentage of legal vendors.

So the main problem isn't necessarily legal gun ownership and legal gun owners. These aren't the people responsible for the vast majority of murder homicides. The the big problem is weapons getting onto the black market and into the wrong hands, usually due to theft, straw purchases and irresponsible vendors. That and America's general violent crime problem, which doesn't mix well with the number of guns in circulation. Legislation should ideally focus on this.
Original post by stoyfan
Quite ironic considering you didn't explain how the constitution is racist (e.g giving examples of ammendments that are racist) and how this is even relevant to the discussion.

The 2nd amendment was written by confederate states who viewed black people who were freed as a threat which is racist you degenerate moron.
To be fair the NRA does put a lot of money into the political system and that's one of the problems about the US system. Because unlike here the candidates don't get funding from their parties they need money to campaign. They make deals with politicians that if they vote on bills in favour of firearms sales etc they will give them money. So it creates a never ending cycle where nothing gets done

If you look further back I posted links about NRA political spending and it’s not much really. Their influence comes from having over five million members
And I’m here to tell you... 1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms!!
Following the latest incident in Vegas, the gun issue in America has been brought up again, and all I ever see is Americans ranting about how gun control doesn't work. I don't understand why people who are pro gun are so unwilling to look at instances where gun control works? There are cases where gun control doesn't work, and gun control doesn't stop all violence, but there are countless instances of gun control working? Why are people not even prepared to look at those examples? How many times does something like this need to happen before America actually acknowledges their problem with guns? I know it's tied into money and the fact the government often has their hands tied on the issue, but I'm referring to every day citizens who won't even give it the time of day.

Regardless of whether or not gun control is a good idea, the Vegas shooting was a hoax, as was the Sandy Hook Shooting and the Orlando shooting. Why are you so willing to believe everything you see on TV? There are only 6 mainstream media corporations in America and they all get their footage from the same source. There is no investigative or independent journalism.
The second amendment was created in a time where :
a) Guns were less powerful and took like 30 seconds to reload
b) America had more threats and citizens were less united.
c) Shooting black people wasn't a big deal
America has (mostly) moved away on this, guns are now very powerful and easy to reload and therefore are significantly more deadly and harder to stop.
Its an outdated idea.
Original post by TonksTheCat
America has (mostly) moved away on this, guns are now very powerful and easy to reload and therefore are significantly more deadly and harder to stop.
Its an outdated idea.

The First Ammendment was created at a time before the internet and before the ideologically based horrors of the 20th century. Does that make IT outdated?
Original post by limetang
The First Ammendment was created at a time before the internet and before the ideologically based horrors of the 20th century. Does that make IT outdated?

The wheel was an old concept too. Some things don't need updating others do... shocker.

Have you asked yourself if the Vegas shooting was a hoax?
Its an outdated idea.

I suggest you do a bit of research because your belief on the firearms that existed at the time the second amendment was written is so wrong. I suggest looking up the Girandoni air rifle, the puckle gun, the nock gun and even the repeating crossbow could fire at a much higher rate than you said above
Original post by Underscore__
I suggest you do a bit of research because your belief on the firearms that existed at the time the second amendment was written is so wrong. I suggest looking up the Girandoni air rifle, the puckle gun, the nock gun and even the repeating crossbow could fire at a much higher rate than you said above

First this is only about one point there ans yes okay 30 sexond may be an exageration, but only slightly, but here we go.
Okay so lets do some history.
second amendement was 1791
Silencers were early 1902
The Girandoni rifle you mentioned was very delicate and you needed training to use it , made in 1779 yes but in Austria for their military and it was very expensive, there were repeating weapons but they were not commonly owned.
I am not a gun expert though and while the guns may have been decent technolgy has 'improved', like the silencer. Also as said before america has less need for guns.
First this is only about one point there ans yes okay 30 sexond may be an exageration, but only slightly, but here we go.
Okay so lets do some history.
second amendement was 1791
Silencers were early 1902
The Girandoni rifle you mentioned was very delicate and you needed training to use it , made in 1779 yes but in Austria for their military and it was very expensive, there were repeating weapons but they were not commonly owned.
I am not a gun expert though and while the guns may have been decent technolgy has 'improved', like the silencer. Also as said before america has less need for guns.

The point is repeating guns existed at that point, it wasn’t only guns that took thirty seconds to reload. You could definitely argue that if they were supposed to be excluded then they would be, even aside from that, there’s no basis to make the argument of ‘they didn’t know what guns would become, if they did they’d have made exclusions’

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending