The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone! Do you know how Sheffield chooses international applicants for the interview?
Reply 101
Hello,

I have a 647.5 UKCAT (mediocre score), SJT Band 1.

At which universities will my UKCAT score be considered competitive enough and so basically which unis should I be hopeful in applying?

I meet the cutoff for quite a few, however I was wondering where my chances are more solid.

I'm not taking GCSES or A-Levels, but I have the equivalents. I also have tons of volunteer experience at hospitals and through job shadowing.
Original post by ts4224
Hello,

I have a 647.5 UKCAT (mediocre score), SJT Band 1.

At which universities will my UKCAT score be considered competitive enough and so basically which unis should I be hopeful in applying?

I meet the cutoff for quite a few, however I was wondering where my chances are more solid.

I'm not taking GCSES or A-Levels, but I have the equivalents. I also have tons of volunteer experience at hospitals and through job shadowing.

I do reckon you should consider universities that don’t put too much emphasis on UKCAT such as Birmingham, Cardiff. Plymouth and BSMS might also be a good choice as they don't need UKCAT for international students (for 2017 entry at least).
Reply 103
Original post by betweenalaska
I do reckon you should consider universities that don’t put too much emphasis on UKCAT such as Birmingham, Cardiff. Plymouth and BSMS might also be a good choice as they don't need UKCAT for international students (for 2017 entry at least).

Thank you for your response. And yes, I'm considering Birmingham and Cardiff. I was also wondering whether any of the Scottish unis would be within my UKCAT reach?
Reply 104
Also which unis care more about A-levels than GCSES as well?
Everyone CRISIS SITUATION:

Stats: UKCAT 722.5,
1. Grade 12 English (4U) - 94% - A*
2. Advanced Functions (4U) - 80% - A3. Calculus and Vectors (4U)- 93% - A*4. Chemistry (4U) - 91% - A*5.Families in Canada (4M)- 93% - A*6. Interdisciplinary Studies (4U) - 90% - A*7. Exercise Science (4U) - 92% - A*8. Biology (4U) - 82% - A

Which schools have the most spaces for international students out of the following? - Aberdeen (28) Dundee (18) East Anglia, Glasgow (18), Hull York (10), Leicester, Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton?

Or which would I have the best chance at applying to? I really need some insight and help and the brackets show how many spaces there are at each school! Thankyou in advanceee
Reply 106
Original post by Rollvert
Everyone CRISIS SITUATION:

Stats: UKCAT 722.5,
1. Grade 12 English (4U) - 94% - A*
2. Advanced Functions (4U) - 80% - A3. Calculus and Vectors (4U)- 93% - A*4. Chemistry (4U) - 91% - A*5.Families in Canada (4M)- 93% - A*6. Interdisciplinary Studies (4U) - 90% - A*7. Exercise Science (4U) - 92% - A*8. Biology (4U) - 82% - A

Which schools have the most spaces for international students out of the following? - Aberdeen (28) Dundee (18) East Anglia, Glasgow (18), Hull York (10), Leicester, Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton?

Or which would I have the best chance at applying to? I really need some insight and help and the brackets show how many spaces there are at each school! Thankyou in advanceee

Hey man, I'm a Canadian applicant too. That Bio mark is way too low man. Have you looked at the requirements?

Great UKCAT score though, I think you should aim for unis that care more for the UKCAT than your GCSE/ALevel equivalents like Newcastle, Southampton, Sheffield, Manchester.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ts4224
Hey man, I'm a Canadian applicant too. That Bio mark is way too low man. Have you looked at the requirements?

Great UKCAT score though, I think you should aim for unis that care more for the UKCAT than your GCSE/ALevel equivalents like Newcastle, Southampton, Sheffield, Manchester.

Hey yeahh! So my top 6 generally adds up to a 90.33% if you take only 4U courses and most schools need between 85%-90% or above! And I didn't list any schools that need a specific mark in Bio, unless something I listed does (?) because I emailed my marks straight to all the universities!
Reply 108
Hey yeahh! So my top 6 generally adds up to a 90.33% if you take only 4U courses and most schools need between 85%-90% or above! And I didn't list any schools that need a specific mark in Bio, unless something I listed does (?) because I emailed my marks straight to all the universities!

Oh my bad then, just making sure.
(edited 6 years ago)

It also depends on which province you are from. For example, if you are from Ontario, you need bio to be 85% and above for Manchester, UEA 90%; for Dundee at least 90% in chemistry. Before you finalize your choices, make sure you check the specific requirements for your province
Original post by Pixelbb
It also depends on which province you are from. For example, if you are from Ontario, you need bio to be 85% and above for Manchester, UEA 90%; for Dundee at least 90% in chemistry. Before you finalize your choices, make sure you check the specific requirements for your province

Is that really the case for Manchester? I knew that about UEA, damnn! I need to go back and verify those! Thanks so much :smile:
👆above doc gives total number of places and internationals are 7.5% of the total places
Original post by mkshyderabad
👆above doc gives total number of places and internationals are 7.5% of the total places

Thankyou :smile:
Original post by mkshyderabad

Actually I've already gone through this document but it doesn't explicitly state the number of seats a university offers for overseas students which is what I meant!
Original post by Pixelbb

You're correct about Dundee and UEA but for Manchester it is an overall average of 85% and above for the 6U courses, and thanks so much for the help!
Hey any Singaporean/Malaysian students applying here? :biggrin:

Hey, another Canadian applicant, I'm from Alberta though. How did you send your marks directly to the universities? Did you send it to the international students email or the medicine email address? Did you add your UCAS ID number or anything like that? I wasn't planning to send my transcript but if someone else is I might as well.
Original post by ukcatpanic
Hey, another Canadian applicant, I'm from Alberta though. How did you send your marks directly to the universities? Did you send it to the international students email or the medicine email address? Did you add your UCAS ID number or anything like that? I wasn't planning to send my transcript but if someone else is I might as well.

Hey! So I just spoke to a couple of the schools on the phone and none of them asked for transcripts of my OSSD, just that they may request it upon issuance of an offer. I just typed in my marks from grade 9 to 12 on the UCAS education section - under the modules portion. I might send my highschool and uni transcripts for the heck of it to the schools as well but as far as I know its not mandatory as of yet.
You're correct about Dundee and UEA but for Manchester it is an overall average of 85% and above for the 6U courses, and thanks so much for the help!

I did say 85 percent and above for Manchester if you read the post. Anyway, good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending