The Student Room Group

when is the best time to start revising for gcse?

Im in yr 10 this year studying
Triple science
Art
Geography
French

when shall i start revising. will someone let me know pls.
april time is when u should be doing a decent amount - you can get away with studying the night before if ur clever
Studying now would be great. Studying little and often is key and closer you get to your exams you should do more. At this point I would say 1-2 hours a week per subject or even just 39 mins per week, depending if your able to take in information easily or not
Reply 3
Just do a little of revision now, I'd say 1-2 hours on weekends and just homework on weekdays or weekends. I'd say start revising the upcoming April time. However, if you think you lack concentrating or understanding, then start properly studying the upcoming Feb/March time
I am doing geography this year aswell (Year 10). Right now i am just revising on what i did in year 9, this was about the tectonic plates. A good website is http://www.gcsegeography.co.uk/
Personally, I wish I'd started properly in about February/March time. With a language, it wouldn't hurt to do some every now and then, starting soon.
I'd recommend starting now, because things tend to to too quickly in year 11 for you to have time to revise a lot. If you don't have enough time now, you could do a lot of work in the summer holidays but it is better to start now in small quantities rather that to do it in one big chunk. With art I hope you find it isn't much revision but instead having time to doodle or draw in the week for fun. Tiny doodles here and there really do help your end GCSE results as it allows you to find out what you are good at and find things you like to draw ( which can most of the time be integrated into the end of GCSE exams).

For French you should start early as well, learning little phrases or words every week, because learning a language in one chunk can be really difficult. I suggest using an app like memrise to help learn French in little chunks!

I hope you do well! Don't do what most people do and leave it to the last minute to start your revision, but also remember to allow yourself plenty of time to rest. And most importantly don't panic yet! There's lots of time for that in yr 11:biggrin:

Ps. I took the same subjects as you
After winter break
Reply 8
The morning of the exam
Reply 9
A couple weeks before should be fine for most subjects - just make sure you don't fall behind during Year 10 and 11 and keep up in class etc - so you have the luxury of starting late and still having the confidence to do well.

Spoiler

Reply 10
For most people, starting too early (like now) is damaging and people quickly burn out or lose motivation. The earliest I'd recommend starting is about January, but it would be fine if you start at around March/April.

Although I did basically get perfect grades, don't leave it too late like me (I started about a week or a few days before the exams). Right now, the best thing is to at least have a solid understanding on the knowledge taught in class and by doing so, you can make the revision process more stress-free.
Make cue cards and mind-maps as you go! once you get to the end of a topic make them then and it'll be so much easier to revise. Up until Christmas in year 11 I think that's all you need to do, but after that it's good to start revising. It's easier to do little bits at a time, otherwise you won't take the information in.
Reply 12
Original post by How I Life
I'd recommend starting now, because things tend to to too quickly in year 11 for you to have time to revise a lot. If you don't have enough time now, you could do a lot of work in the summer holidays but it is better to start now in small quantities rather that to do it in one big chunk. With art I hope you find it isn't much revision but instead having time to doodle or draw in the week for fun. Tiny doodles here and there really do help your end GCSE results as it allows you to find out what you are good at and find things you like to draw ( which can most of the time be integrated into the end of GCSE exams).

For French you should start early as well, learning little phrases or words every week, because learning a language in one chunk can be really difficult. I suggest using an app like memrise to help learn French in little chunks!

I hope you do well! Don't do what most people do and leave it to the last minute to start your revision, but also remember to allow yourself plenty of time to rest. And most importantly don't panic yet! There's lots of time for that in yr 11:biggrin:

Ps. I took the same subjects as you

During the half-term should I still do like 40 minute revision in all subjects?
I did a week before exams started. Then read the CGP books on the way to the exam halls. Got all A/A* more or less.
Reply 14
Original post by ChickenMadness
I did a week before exams started. Then read the CGP books on the way to the exam halls. Got all A/A* more or less.

In Year 11 or Year 10?
Original post by SBizzy
In Year 11 or Year 10?

both lol. started a bit earlier in year 11 at the end of the year because all the exams were at the same time.

and I did fail a couple exams but I had pretty much full marks for the rest of the year so still ended up getting As.
Original post by SBizzy
During the half-term should I still do like 40 minute revision in all subjects?

That sounds like a good start,
Edit - Also i know there are people like, oh, I just revised minutes before and got good grade, but in reality the more work you do to your gcses the better grades you get. Unless you are a child genius this does not work!
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd say to start revising around Easter time in year 11 but make sure you understand everything you are taught as you go along and that there are no gaps in your notes :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by How I Life
That sounds like a good start,
Edit - Also i know there are people like, oh, I just revised minutes before and got good grade, but in reality the more work you do to your gcses the better grades you get. Unless you are a child genius this does not work!

I'll try my best

Quick Reply

Latest