The Student Room Group

Stuarts help

Was the Divine Right of Kings the same thing as the Royal Prerogative or was the Prerogative derived from the idea of Divine Rights?
Original post by sammychu00
Was the Divine Right of Kings the same thing as the Royal Prerogative or was the Prerogative derived from the idea of Divine Rights?

Its the latter. the divine Right is where the justification for ruling comes from. the RP is how that manifests itself in practical terms in his role as monarch.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Its the latter. the divine Right is where the justification for ruling comes from. the RP is how that manifests itself in practical terms in his role as monarch.

So just to confirm, the Royal Prerogative was the way in which the Divine Right was enforced and it so can I use the terms interchangeably?
So just to confirm, the Royal Prerogative was the way in which the Divine Right was enforced and it so can I use the terms interchangeably?

Yes.

Interchangeable depends on context.
Divine right the moral argument/ justification as his authority from god.
Royal prerogative how that manifests in terms of rules and defined powers for the monarchy. He basically got to make a lot up for himself .and if there wasnt an existing tradition then he could fall back and mention he had DR. You arent really allowed to question the king if he has authority from God. thats what he thought, which was convenient. Others disagreed....
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Yes.

Interchangeable depends on context.
Divine right the moral argument/ justification as his authority from god.
Royal prerogative how that manifests in terms of rules and defined powers for the monarchy. He basically got to make a lot up for himself .and if there wasnt an existing tradition then he could fall back and mention he had DR. You arent really allowed to question the king if he has authority from God. thats what he thought, which was convenient. Others disagreed....

Thank you! I have to do an essay on the Divine Right (To what extent were the claims of the early Stuarts to rule by Divine Right the most important reason for the breakdown of Crown and Parliament relations by 1629?) and I wasn't sure if I could write about how James and Charles' use of Royal Prerogative weakened Crown-Parliament relations as an argument.
Thank you! I have to do an essay on the Divine Right (To what extent were the claims of the early Stuarts to rule by Divine Right the most important reason for the breakdown of Crown and Parliament relations by 1629?) and I wasn't sure if I could write about how James and Charles' use of Royal Prerogative weakened Crown-Parliament relations as an argument.

Yes that would be a central point.. Its a conflict of ideas.

Do a very brief introduction about he break down of relations.

Then cover:

The question is though to what extent so make 2 lists.

List 1 use of royal prerogative and how it weakened their relations.

List 2 other areas/ factors where relations were weakened..

Compare 1 with 2 and then you can answer to what extent.

Quick Reply

Latest