The Student Room Group

MY YEAR 12 JOURNAL!!!! (Grow your grades)

Hi everyone!
My name is Irem and I'm in year 12. I've recently been getting into extremely bad habits of procrastination and hopefully starting my own blog will force me to do work. I usually leave all my work until last minute 😭, but 2024 is the year to end these bad habits!!! (hopefully 😅).
My A Levels:
Maths, Further Maths (I don't know why I thought it was a sane idea to pick further maths 😭😭), English Literature, History

Right now I'm struggling most with history, because I've literally lost track of everything and Maths, because I'm so focused on doing well in further maths that I'm neglecting normal maths.

Goals for this year:

-STOP CRAMMING EVERYTHING LAST MINUTE OR ELSE!!! 😩

-REVIEW STUFF YOU'VE LEARNED IN CLASS ON THE DAY THAT YOU LEARN IT OR AT LEAST ON THE SAME WEEK INSTEAD FORGETTING ABOUT IT AND TRYING TO LEARN IT 2 MONTHS LATER

- BREAKS SHOULD NOT BE LONGER THAN 1.5 HOURS (I need to stop taking 6 hour breaks after answering two questions lol)

- GET ORGANISED

Study motivation (quotes that I stole from Pinterest):

-Stop wishing! Start doing! (Why do I feel called out lol 🥲)
-Study cause you still have a chance.
-You get what you put in
-Study now, Love later
-Winners aren't those who never fail, but those who never quit.
-You are a student. You have one job: it is study.

Scroll to see replies

As someone in the first year of uni, A levels are HORRID, I love seeing your motivation to do well and in a sense 'get your life together' but just don't let this become a burden, I know I had people saying this to me ALL the time, and I didn't believe it until I experienced it but: A-Levels are not the be-all-end-all. I literally dropped out of my exams after sitting 2/9 (not advising you do the same, I had mental health reasons that literally forced me to miss my exams), HOWEVER, what I am saying is that, despite dropping out of my exams after only sitting one exam for 2 of my 3 subjects, I STILL got into uni :smile:, (Ended up with an A* in psychology (idek how) and an E in History, which isn't great I KNOW, but it got me where I needed to be). FOR REFERENCE, my offer was AAB - I got A* E X (X being in Biology as i didn't even sit one exam), what I'm saying is i got AGES below my offer and still got in, and I know others who experienced the same. Anyways, I wish you the BEST of luck, 4 a levels is no easy feat, especially with that much maths i dread to think about it. You will nail it!!!! If the stress ever becomes too much, don't be afraid to step back, A Levels definitely seem like the dealbreaker in your life, at least it was too me, but i can guarantee you, in a years time, you will be fine and away from this stress hahaa
Reply 2
Original post by isabellekast
As someone in the first year of uni, A levels are HORRID, I love seeing your motivation to do well and in a sense 'get your life together' but just don't let this become a burden, I know I had people saying this to me ALL the time, and I didn't believe it until I experienced it but: A-Levels are not the be-all-end-all. I literally dropped out of my exams after sitting 2/9 (not advising you do the same, I had mental health reasons that literally forced me to miss my exams), HOWEVER, what I am saying is that, despite dropping out of my exams after only sitting one exam for 2 of my 3 subjects, I STILL got into uni :smile:, (Ended up with an A* in psychology (idek how) and an E in History, which isn't great I KNOW, but it got me where I needed to be). FOR REFERENCE, my offer was AAB - I got A* E X (X being in Biology as i didn't even sit one exam), what I'm saying is i got AGES below my offer and still got in, and I know others who experienced the same. Anyways, I wish you the BEST of luck, 4 a levels is no easy feat, especially with that much maths i dread to think about it. You will nail it!!!! If the stress ever becomes too much, don't be afraid to step back, A Levels definitely seem like the dealbreaker in your life, at least it was too me, but i can guarantee you, in a years time, you will be fine and away from this stress hahaa

Omg thank you for thiss!!! I really appreciate your insight and I'm glad I found I found someone who understands how I feel. I wish you the best of luck in uni!!
Original post by Remimoo
Hi everyone!
My name is Irem and I'm in year 12. I've recently been getting into extremely bad habits of procrastination and hopefully starting my own blog will force me to do work. I usually leave all my work until last minute 😭, but 2024 is the year to end these bad habits!!! (hopefully 😅).
My A Levels:
Maths, Further Maths (I don't know why I thought it was a sane idea to pick further maths 😭😭), English Literature, History

Right now I'm struggling most with history, because I've literally lost track of everything and Maths, because I'm so focused on doing well in further maths that I'm neglecting normal maths.

Goals for this year:

-REVIEW STUFF YOU'VE LEARNED IN CLASS ON THE DAY THAT YOU LEARN IT OR AT LEAST ON THE SAME WEEK INSTEAD FORGETTING ABOUT IT AND TRYING TO LEARN IT 2 MONTHS LATER

- BREAKS SHOULD NOT BE LONGER THAN 1.5 HOURS (I need to stop taking 6 hour breaks after answering two questions lol)

- GET ORGANISED

-You get what you put in
-Study now, Love later

good luck - can't wait to see what you get up to :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by emm4nuella
good luck - can't wait to see what you get up to :smile:

Thanks, my school starts tmrw. Wish you the best of luck for this year!! We've got this 💪💪
Original post by Remimoo
Thanks, my school starts tmrw. Wish you the best of luck for this year!! We've got this 💪💪

sameeeeee :smile: - yes we have got this!!
Reply 6
Goals for today:

Review Roots of Polynomial (Further maths)

Finish your book (Tess of the D'urbervilles)

Review Stuarts : Finance and Religion

Update:
I managed to do Roots of polynomials and finish my book (I read around 200 pages) 🎉🎉🎉
However, I didn't get around to Stuarts unfortunately and did mathematical induction instead (I feel like I'm avoiding history but diving into further maths lol)
Also I took a two and a half hour break when I told myself that my breaks shouldn't exceed 1.5 hours 😭
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Remimoo
Hi everyone!
My A Levels:

Goals for this year:

- GET ORGANISED

-You get what you put in
-Study now, Love later

Welcome to Grow Your Grades! I think we've all struggled with leaving things to the last minute but at least you recognise it's something you need to work on :smile: What topics are you covering in history?
Reply 9
Original post by Pwca
Welcome to Grow Your Grades! I think we've all struggled with leaving things to the last minute but at least you recognise it's something you need to work on :smile: What topics are you covering in history?

The Crisis of the monarchy for Stuarts and Transformation of China (AQA)
Original post by emm4nuella
sameeeeee :smile: - yes we have got this!!

Yes we have :smile:
Original post by Remimoo
Hi everyone!
My A Levels:

Goals for this year:

- GET ORGANISED

-You get what you put in
-Study now, Love later

Heyyy!!!! I'm in year 13 and I also do history (I saw you do the AQA exam board - I do the Tudors and International Relations and Global Conflict as my topics :smile:) and English literature! What's your exam board for English lit and what texts do you do??
Reply 12
Original post by kayleigh_t.27
Heyyy!!!! I'm in year 13 and I also do history (I saw you do the AQA exam board - I do the Tudors and International Relations and Global Conflict as my topics :smile:) and English literature! What's your exam board for English lit and what texts do you do??

Ughhh you're so lucky!! I really wanted to do tudors 😭. For English Literature, we're studying a Streetcar Named Desire(what we did last term) , Tess of the Durbevilles (which we've just started and I'm loving it so far) and we're starting 'Mrs Dalloway' tomorrow , which I've heard mixed opinions on. We're also doing Othello. What about you?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Remimoo
Ughhh you're so lucky!! I really wanted to do tudors 😭. For English Literature, we're studying a Streetcar Named Desire(what we did last term) , Tess of the Durbevilles (which we've just started and I'm loving it so far) and we're starting 'Mrs Dalloway' tomorrow , which I've heard mixed opinions on. What about you?

Tudors is my favourite of the two topics I do - everyone thinks I'm mad because I'm literally the only one who likes Tudors better than IR!!

I do aqa for English lit, so these are the texts I do for my two papers:
Paper 1 (love through the ages) - Othello, The Great Gatsby and an AQA set poetry anthology (we did all of this last year)
Paper 2 (texts in shared context) - All Quiet on the Western Front (my fav text we've done), The Wipers Times (a terrible play, I'm sorry Hislop and Newman but it was just genuinely bad) and Brian Gardner's poetry anthology Up the Line to Death :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by kayleigh_t.27
Tudors is my favourite of the two topics I do - everyone thinks I'm mad because I'm literally the only one who likes Tudors better than IR!!

I do aqa for English lit, so these are the texts I do for my two papers:
Paper 1 (love through the ages) - Othello, The Great Gatsby and an AQA set poetry anthology (we did all of this last year)
Paper 2 (texts in shared context) - All Quiet on the Western Front (my fav text we've done), The Wipers Times (a terrible play, I'm sorry Hislop and Newman but it was just genuinely bad) and Brian Gardner's poetry anthology Up the Line to Death :smile:

They're the crazy ones!! Tudors🔛🔝
Reply 15
OK so I arrived home an hour ago (my school's really far)
Goals for today:
Do integration hw
Go over mathematical induction (divisibility)- we haven't covered this yet but we most likely will tomorrow
AND DO STUARTS REVISION STOP PUTTING IT OFFFFF✅
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi,

I did A-Level English Lit, If you need any help drop me a message! I'm more than happy to help.

Also, with stem subjects @ateamacadrevision on ig have started doing mini summed up topics for everything you need to know, they're really helpful. The first topics are up right now as they've just started. I'd also recommend MME and PMT for Maths and English Lit!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 17
Hi
Im in year 12 and I’m doing Chem, Bio, Psychology
Any tips would be appreciated :smile:)
Reply 18
Original post by Hatekittens12345
Hi,

I did A-Level English Lit, If you need any help drop me a message! I'm more than happy to help.

Also, with stem subjects @ateamacadrevision on ig have started doing mini summed up topics for everything you need to know, they're really helpful. The first topics are up right now as they've just started. I'd also recommend MME and PMT for Maths and English Lit!

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you for this!
Reply 19
Goals for today:

[✅]Do maths mini quiz

Stuarts revision (I have a test coming up on James)

[✅]Court, character
[❌]Attempts to reform finance during J's reign
[✅]Challenges to J from religion

(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending