The Student Room Group

MAT 2004 answers?

paper is here! anyone got any answers?

i got A, B, D, A, C, C, D, C, B, A for the multiple choice but it's very likely those are wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by memeeee
paper is here! anyone got any answers?

i got A, B, D, A, C, C, D, C, B, A for the multiple choice but it's very likely those are wrong.

At a quick glance, you may want to take another look at Question A

Also, http://www.wolframalpha.com/ is pretty useful for double checking some answers.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Blazy
At a quick glance, you may want to take another look at Question A

Also, http://www.wolframalpha.com/ is pretty useful for double checking some answers.

i did question A for 2sinx, not sin2x, oops! thought it was too easy. thank you
Does anybody have a quick solution for question 4, I have a solution but it is fairly longwinded
Original post by mathphysics123
Does anybody have a quick solution for question 4, I have a solution but it is fairly longwinded
It's going to be hard to provide a solution without diagrams.

Sketch solution:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by DFranklin
It's going to be hard to provide a solution without diagrams.

Sketch solution:

Spoiler

The solution to part b only makes sense if none of the angles are obtuse, and the question does not mention that alpha,beta,delta are less than equal to 90 degrees.
Original post by Math1791
The solution to part b only makes sense if none of the angles are obtuse, and the question does not mention that alpha,beta,delta are less than equal to 90 degrees.
I'll give you 10:1 it's the expected solution, however.
Reply 7
Original post by mathphysics123

This question appears in the specimen papers, and they have solutions.
Reply 8
I'll give you 10:1 it's the expected solution, however.

Yes I recall this being noted after the fact.

PS I haven't thought about this in detail, but I imagine the question still makes sense for an obtuse triangle if the result is appreciated in terms of signed areas.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Math1791

Original post by RichE
Yes I recall this being noted after the fact.

@Math1791: Your ability to spot corner cases in MAT questions is really impressive (I'm not being sarcastic), but I really hope you're not going to let it stop you finding the expected solutions when it comes to the actual exam. When sitting an exam, there are times when you have to go with "there's a possible complication, but given the flow of the question and how different a solution dealing with the complication would be, I'm just going to ignore it" (possibly mention it if you're concerned).
@Math1791: Your ability to spot corner cases in MAT questions is really impressive (I'm not being sarcastic), but I really hope you're not going to let it stop you finding the expected solutions when it comes to the actual exam. When sitting an exam, there are times when you have to go with "there's a possible complication, but given the flow of the question and how different a solution dealing with the complication would be, I'm just going to ignore it" (possibly mention it if you're concerned).

Thanks a lot for your advice and the praise:smile: I will keep it in mind and try my best to follow it.
Can someone help me with question 3 on this paper.

Part A is fine, but from part B on, I am unsure.

I had to form 4 equations using various values of T and then create a matrix. Using the inverse matrix I found the 4 coefficients and found the cubic.

But how are you actually meant to do this question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending