The Student Room Group

Leaked 2023 MAT paper

Hongkong zone sat the paper 7 hours earlier than UK Europe and China Zone, the paper has been leaked, how is this fair
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hongkong zone sat the paper 7 hours earlier than UK Europe and China Zone, the paper has been leaked, how is this fair

what ???
Reply 2
Original post by MathWiz123
what ???

bro it's real i've asked my friends back in hong kong and they told me they sat the test literally 8 hours before us, and I was like how on earth is this happening???? if I had known this I would literally ask them the MAT questions beforehand and easily get a 100% on the test lmaoo
yeah here in Australia we had the test early and some of my classmates said they were given crazy offers to leak/sell information. Surely someone out there has accepted.
I wrote an email to Oxford to ask if they could adjust the time for HongKong MAT before the exam because I’m almost sure that someone will be cheating if they set such different start times. They replied to me "It is not normally in candidates' interest to help other people to cheat due to the competitive nature of the test. As always, we're taking test security very seriously.". I was completely shocked and wrote a follow-up email to ask the reason why HongKong has an earlier start time (to those in the same time zone) and they replied to me "No comment, sorry "

I think they are not taking their responsibility to make the MAT fair at all!
Reply 5
I wrote an email to Oxford to ask if they could adjust the time for HongKong MAT before the exam because I’m almost sure that someone will be cheating if they set such different start times. They replied to me "It is not normally in candidates' interest to help other people to cheat due to the competitive nature of the test. As always, we're taking test security very seriously.". I was completely shocked and wrote a follow-up email to ask the reason why HongKong has an earlier start time (to those in the same time zone) and they replied to me "No comment, sorry "

OMG I am completely shocked by their response, Funny enough, HongKong sat the paper 7hours earlier than China as well, even though they are in the same time zone
Reply 6

"not normally in candidates' interest to help other people" they have be joking. To my knowledge, people were offering large sums of money, not to mention friends are likely to help each other out. Look in the perspective of someone who took the test early; if you knew you did incredibly poorly in the test and likely wouldn't get in, why wouldn't you help boost the chances for your friend taking the test later? It's mind-boggling that they are this irresponsible, this just seems outrageous to me.
Original post by pasobix392
bro it's real i've asked my friends back in hong kong and they told me they sat the test literally 8 hours before us, and I was like how on earth is this happening???? if I had known this I would literally ask them the MAT questions beforehand and easily get a 100% on the test lmaoo

What a joke, you can't even get the time zone correct and spread this unsupportive information everywhere.
Reply 8
What a joke, you can't even get the time zone correct and spread this unsupportive information everywhere.

Okay, do you want me to talk this through seriously then? The point I am trying to make is that they took the test HOURS before us, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme whether it was 7 hours or 8 hours, think about it. I will write all the details possible in this thread so that you won't think this is something I made up.

Malaysia and Hong Kong share the time zone, which is GMT+8,
When the daylight saving period isn't on, the UK has the timezone GMT+0.

I have a real friend back in Asia who can swear their life that they started at 9 a.m. local time, which is 8 hours ahead of us.
That's the equivalent time of 1 AM here in the UK, on the 19th of Oct, 2023. I think that's pretty clear evidence.

I don't understand why would you make such remarks and accuse me of spreading unsupportive information. I am starting to question your initiative and wondering if you are the ones who have benefitted from this situation, due to this timezone difference. I'd genuinely appreciate it if we could discuss this further and find a mutual understanding. It's important for all of us to benefit from our collaboration and ensure the best outcomes for everyone involved.
Okay, do you want me to talk this through seriously then? The point I am trying to make is that they took the test HOURS before us, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme whether it was 7 hours or 8 hours, think about it. I will write all the details possible in this thread so that you won't think this is something I made up.

I have a real friend back in Asia who can swear their life that they started at 9 a.m. local time, which is 8 hours ahead of us.
That's the equivalent time of 1 AM here in the UK, on the 19th of Oct, 2023. I think that's pretty clear evidence.

I don't understand why would you make such remarks and accuse me of spreading unsupportive information. I am starting to question your initiative and wondering if you are the ones who have benefitted from this situation, due to this timezone difference. I'd genuinely appreciate it if we could discuss this further and find a mutual understanding. It's important for all of us to benefit from our collaboration and ensure the best outcomes for everyone involved.

Firstly, 9 am in Hong Kong translates to 2 am here in the UK.
Secondly, your assertion should be substantiated by evidence, not mere hearsay from a friend.
Thirdly, I did not sit for the MAT.
Firstly, 9 am in Hong Kong translates to 2 am here in the UK.
Secondly, your assertion should be substantiated by evidence, not mere hearsay from a friend.
Thirdly, I did not sit for the MAT.

You didn’t even sit the MAT, lmao

I learned about MAT news on Mumsnet and then found this intriguing thread here :smile:

BTW, you claimed in the other thread "I actually swear my life on this one. a friend of mine in the UK literally got sent answers by one of my other friend in Malaysia. I am not going to name these guys but I can be 100% sure this has actually happened. according to him he had memorized all the MCQs options.", Please report back your friend's MAT when it is available.
Reply 13
Original post by wibiwo
"not normally in candidates' interest to help other people" they have be joking. To my knowledge, people were offering large sums of money, not to mention friends are likely to help each other out. Look in the perspective of someone who took the test early; if you knew you did incredibly poorly in the test and likely wouldn't get in, why wouldn't you help boost the chances for your friend taking the test later? It's mind-boggling that they are this irresponsible, this just seems outrageous to me.

i sat it, but I don’t care very much anyway, cuz I’m expecting a 99 or sth, even cheaters are gonna be lower than me lmao
i mean it's a fact that those in the east had it 7 hours earlier.

whether or not anyone cheated, personally i think it shouldnt be risked at all. it's like allowing students to bring their phones to a test, proceed to not invigilate, and trust that no one did anything fishy. no reason for them to not sync up the time. imo would have also much rather them had the questions on paper just like any other test, they already printed the answer booklet afterall, and u save all the trouble with the system issues.

at the end it's not like oxford would do anything ngl. thats life, some get lucky, others not.
Can anyone provide web links or screenshots to the leaks? Otherwise, there's a possibility that this is all just scaremongering.
Can anyone provide web links or screenshots to the leaks? Otherwise, there's a possibility that this is all just scaremongering.

I have the screenshots, and more ridiculously. Someone added my Wechat and said that he got the leaked paper, and sent me a photo showing MCQ1. I then put him on the blacklist, however, when I actually sit the test on October 19th, I was shocked when I opened the paper...... How the hell did the person get the leaked out paper???
I have the screenshots, and more ridiculously. Someone added my Wechat and said that he got the leaked paper, and sent me a photo showing MCQ1. I then put him on the blacklist, however, when I actually sit the test on October 19th, I was shocked when I opened the paper...... How the hell did the person get the leaked out paper???

Interesting! Oxford University is investigating allegations of cheating in the MAT. I suggest you send evidence of cheating to James Munro: https://www.new.ox.ac.uk/james-munro

When did you receive the photo on Wechat?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending