The Student Room Group

Finance Analyst AMA

I'm currently working at an investment bank in London in the finance division in product control. Graduated from Bristol uni (studied accounting and finance). Feel free to ask any questions, feel like giving back a bit to a very useful forum. I remember the times when I used to go on here for careers advice lol.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MoSaqib
Working at an investment bank in London in the finance division in product control. Graduated from Bristol uni (studied accounting and finance).

Idc
Reply 2
Original post by Reece.W.J
Idc

Cared enough to post this though, interesting
Do you think students from Oxbridge/LSE/ UCL have an easier time getting into high-finance than those that go to Bristol, Bath, KCL or Exeter?

Just wondering as I'm considering the opportunity cost of taking a year out to increase the odds of a successful Oxford application next year. Also is PPE a course conducive to i-banking?
Original post by MoSaqib
Working at an investment bank in London in the finance division in product control. Graduated from Bristol uni (studied accounting and finance).

I have a few since i see myself following a similar path

What are the hours like?
How is pay?
Was it easy to get into your job after uni?
How did you find your degree?
Typical day?
Original post by MoSaqib
Cared enough to post this though, interesting

Not at all
Reply 7
Original post by Hirsty97
Do you think students from Oxbridge/LSE/ UCL have an easier time getting into high-finance than those that go to Bristol, Bath, KCL or Exeter?

Just wondering as I'm considering the opportunity cost of taking a year out to increase the odds of a successful Oxford application next year. Also is PPE a course conducive to i-banking?

What subjects do you do?
Reply 8
do I need A Level further maths to get where you are
Original post by BBBBBBBI
What subjects do you do?

Maths and Btec business with completed a levels in history and English Literature. Received two Cs. Predicted D*x3 and A* in first two. Would take a gap year to study economics under the new module to an A* standard while travelling to enhance my language capabilities. Even though PPE requriements say Dx3 and A at A level, I doubt that would suffice because of how competitive it is.
Reply 10
Original post by Hirsty97

Depends on the division. In IBD, definitely. In finance, not so much.
PPE will get you into any banking job, especially if it's Oxford or LSE PPE.
Original post by BenMurphy11
I have a few since i see myself following a similar path

What are the hours like?
How is pay?
Was it easy to get into your job after uni?
How did you find your degree?

Hours are 8-6, 5 days a week usually, but I'm also training for the ACA qualification so I can leave earlier to study.
Base pay is in the thirties plus you get a small bonus (don't want to go into specifics). I've only been working there for a few months.
I did an internship which was quite hard to get into, involved numerical tests plus multiple interviews and a presentation. Once I finished the internship, everyone in the finance division including me got a full time offer. So once you get the internship it's pretty straightforward.
My degree was quite easy, allowed me to pursue extracurricular interests and find out more about different careers I might be interested in.
Reply 11
Reply 12
Original post by Maaaths
do I need A Level further maths to get where you are

No
What A Levels did you do

How many years of this slavery do you have to put up with until you get to do fulfilling work?
Reply 15
Original post by Maaaths
What A Levels did you do

Maths, economics, physics
Reply 16
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
How many years of this slavery do you have to put up with until you get to do fulfilling work?

I find it fulfilling. If you like working with numbers and don't want too much stress this is a good job to have. I'm satisfied with it. I don't see how it's 'slavery'- I'm being paid and I like the job, unlike a slave
Original post by MoSaqib
Maths, economics, physics

I'm doing maths economics and philosophy&ethics, will that put me at a disadvantage for getting into a good uni for an economics, finance or ppe degree
Original post by MoSaqib
I find it fulfilling. If you like working with numbers and don't want too much stress this is a good job to have. I'm satisfied with it. I don't see how it's 'slavery'- I'm being paid and I like the job.

An payroll ''accountant'' operating sage works with numbers, that doesn't make it fulfilling.
Reply 19
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
An payroll ''accountant'' operating sage works with numbers, that doesn't make it fulfilling.

Yeah but if a job fits your skills and interests, surely you'd find it fulfilling?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending