The Student Room Group

How are your GCSEs going so far?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VirgoStrain
I'm in Yr12 and doing Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics, and Elelctronics self-taught.

I also got my school to sign me up to Italian and Polish GCSE, and I'm hoping they might consider signing me up to Chemistry GCSE because I really messed up my unit 3 which narrowly cost me an A*. I haven't started revising yet, so I'll have to see how it goes.

What is it like doing those A-levels? I want to do Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. Is it alot of work compared to GCSE?
Original post by furryface12
They're good subjects! Ah :/ it is better to spread them out a little bit if you can, if only for your own sanity. Try an hour a day or something and gradually work upwards, some structure might help :smile:

The subjects are great indeed. It's just that the texts are boring. But I am improving slowly.
It's half term, finally! Or even halfway through or the end for some of you... Six weeks into the school year, how are your GCSEs going? Any subjects you're finding particularly easy or hard? Anyone wish they'd picked different ones yet?

Whether you're in year 10 or 11, share how you're doing and how you want to improve (or how you have improved if it would help other people) here :smile:

Let's just say that I am not doing great at science and leave it at that.
So far, I am finding the increased workload quite challenging
especially as the news of Mock Exams next months hangs
overhead. I have already had my final GCSE Drama Exam for the
devising section which went quite well. I just hope that my
other exams like Maths also go as well. :s-smilie:
I have absolutely no motivation to revise, and I've got mock exams starting from Monday. Might as well just accept my death right now tbh
Reply 25
Original post by Yoonseokk
I have absolutely no motivation to revise, and I've got mock exams starting from Monday. Might as well just accept my death right now tbh

You need anything away that's distracting you for example your phone, think like this if you don't revise you wouldn't do as well as if you did revise. Also think about who it's affecting, it's you not your teacher, parents, brother etc…

Just try your best to revise and think positively.
Didn't listen in class for vast majority of Year 10 in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Geography, and now I get to pay the price for that! I'm planning on doing about 64 hours of going through topics this half term (already done three days of 6/7 hours per day) and 3-4 hours a day after half term so I can get my grades up before the winter mocks (mainly in maths to see if I can get into set 1). I'm aware that's very excessive for GCSE, but I feel really guilty when I play games all day so...

If you're in Year 10, please listen in class so you don't get to do what I'm doing (learning a tonne of content from YouTube and revision guides in my own time). For a little bit of effort in class, you get a lot out of it by not having to do what I'm doing and instead having a much less time consuming and much easier process of revision.

If you're in Year 11 and you're in my shoes, you don't have to do what I'm doing by any means, but at least put some time into work into it so you don't have to rush a few weeks before your exams.
I used to write notes a lot from the textbook and things like that, it's more interesting and you take it in better :smile: then you can go back and highlight, rewrite them etc if you want to later or make flashcards or something. Do you have ant guidance on what sort of thing your speaking needs to be about?

They're really impressive mock results! Talk to your teacher about what you need to focus on to improve your English but yeah, I always had the same problem though. Trying your best us great, keep it up! :smile:

They're good subjects! Ah :/ it is better to spread them out a little bit if you can, if only for your own sanity. Try an hour a day or something and gradually work upwards, some structure might help :smile:

I can do my speaking and listening literally about ANYTHING but i was probably either gonna go for Project MK Ultra or something moderately interesting like mindsets.What do you think???
(edited 6 years ago)

You’ll be fine,just try your best.
You're doing pretty good!!! Everyone finds English Language tricky so maybe just focus of Literature? My advice would be to just learn as many quotes as possible. :smile:

Original post by Nikey
Mine are going quite well. In my mocks I got 4 9's, 2 8's, 1 7 and 2 6's which I'm pretty happy with. I'm working a lot harder than I was in year 10 but I'm enjoying it and I'm really excited for starting sixth form next year. Only negative is English (both Language and Literature - my mock grade 6's) as it's just so abstract and difficult. I thrive in science and maths but English is pretty awful. I'm trying my best though :biggrin:
It's half term, finally! Or even halfway through or the end for some of you... Six weeks into the school year, how are your GCSEs going? Any subjects you're finding particularly easy or hard? Anyone wish they'd picked different ones yet?

Whether you're in year 10 or 11, share how you're doing and how you want to improve (or how you have improved if it would help other people) here :smile:

Im in year 11 currently revising for mocks I think they're going good though. English language i got a 6 in last year and i need to figure out how to get higher. Which I will do the rest of this half term. My 3 sciences have been annoying though I know the content but the questions are so specific and sometimes it turns out they're asking a completely different thing to what I'm thinking. Other than that though hopefully on course for all 8s
Reply 31
It's alright. Trying to revise maths and english alone with so much homework. The only downer, NO WIFI!!! but other than that fine.

They are going alright. Maths is my biggest worry along with french because im doing my french this year in Year 10 and early. I want to stay in the higher set and just carry on doing good in maths. HUH.
In year 11 and now and doing alright on the whole, however I'm just finding history unbelievably overwhelming as there's so much content. I'm trying to revise for mocks but seem to be getting hardly anything done, I just don't have the time and when i do sit down to revise i get distracted and bored so easily, plus mocks are approaching worryingly quickly !
Okay, apart from finding motivation to revise (I know it's early) but I'm worrying that I'm not going to know it all!
All subjects are going great apart from english language paper 1 and writing section
Reply 36
enjoying the challenge of all my subjects, hoping to do biology and chemistry and summat else at a level. my hardest subjects are definitively geography and computer science especially with the nea i’m starting in a few weeks😭
Original post by esrever
The subjects are great indeed. It's just that the texts are boring. But I am improving slowly.

Improving slowly is good! Little bit at a time, you'll get there :smile:

Original post by MisledGoddess
Let's just say that I am not doing great at science and leave it at that.

What in particular do you find hard about science? Have you looked at the resources on TSR or anywhere like that?

Original post by blueberrypi
What is it like doing those A-levels? I want to do Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. Is it alot of work compared to GCSE?

I did all of those :smile: I don't remember the workload being particularly bad, the main thing is just to make sure you understand things as you go along and if you need help ask for it. Otherwise it all just adds up or as you haven't got your head round one thing you can't do the next. It saves so much work to just do stuff as you go rather than all at the end! But yeah, you'll be alright. Good luck!

You can do it! Anything is better than none and you probably know more than you think. If you have a revision guide then have a read through one of them, or even just sort out your notes and things so you know what you've got where? Or just pick a topic and write everything you know about it or a past paper. There's loads of little things you can do. Good luck :smile:

Original post by Chloe Bayliss
So far, I am finding the increased workload quite challenging
especially as the news of Mock Exams next months hangs
overhead. I have already had my final GCSE Drama Exam for the
devising section which went quite well. I just hope that my
other exams like Maths also go as well. :s-smilie:

Are you in your first year or second? Workload can definitely be a challenge, I'm finding the same at the minute. Don't worry about mocks, they are daunting I know but they're there to help you and show what you need to work or need help on. Schools like to put a lot of emphasis on them beforehand but they are just to see how you're doing. Just do your best, that's all anyone can ask :smile: Well done on your drama exam, that must have been scary!
Original post by Made to Ace
I can do my speaking and listening literally about ANYTHING but i was probably either gonna go for Project MK Ultra or something moderately interesting like mindsets.What do you think???

That's a bit of a hard one! They could be good :smile: have a look at the criteria if you can and what sort of thing they're looking at- do they want something in depth or just that you find interesting? If you're talking about a game or something that you really enjoy, in all likelihood you'll be able to speak much more fluently and engage people than something you have no idea on and started researching the day before. That's not to say you don't still need a plan, just that it could take less work to make it really good! Hope that makes sense.

Original post by HN786
Im in year 11 currently revising for mocks I think they're going good though. English language i got a 6 in last year and i need to figure out how to get higher. Which I will do the rest of this half term. My 3 sciences have been annoying though I know the content but the questions are so specific and sometimes it turns out they're asking a completely different thing to what I'm thinking. Other than that though hopefully on course for all 8s

That's really good! Having a think about things over half term is a good idea too. Yeah, I had the same problem with the sciences. I think what helped me most was improving my time management and exam technique- always read through the question twice for example, refer back to it in a longer answer or essay, and if you have time at the end go back through and check that you have actually answered everything- both in terms of something being written in the box and actually saying what they're asking about. It's such an easy mistake to make but hopefully if you start building those things in now, they'll be easier come exam time in May or June :smile:

Original post by Re8ecca
It's alright. Trying to revise maths and english alone with so much homework. The only downer, NO WIFI!!! but other than that fine.

Homework used to be the death of me! Particularly with so many subjects and balancing it with revision and stuff. It sounds like a good idea to focus on maths and english though, they are the most important especially at this stage. Sorry about not having any wifi, that's annoying!

Original post by sophia13
They are going alright. Maths is my biggest worry along with french because im doing my french this year in Year 10 and early. I want to stay in the higher set and just carry on doing good in maths. HUH.

Doing french this year is good! Try watching some french films or tv, something you know well so you can follow it. Some will let you add english or french subtitles so you can be doing something fun, kidding you're family you're revising and actually learning stuff all at the same time. Maths, just start with the basics and work upwards. Aiming to stay there and do your french this year is good! :smile:

Original post by saharabathai
In year 11 and now and doing alright on the whole, however I'm just finding history unbelievably overwhelming as there's so much content. I'm trying to revise for mocks but seem to be getting hardly anything done, I just don't have the time and when i do sit down to revise i get distracted and bored so easily, plus mocks are approaching worryingly quickly !

I can imagine that with history! Can you try setting a timer or something so you're doing it in little chunks? And little targets- if I can write ten facts down about George V I can have a square of chocolate or when I've written a practice essay on WW2 I can watch an episode of GOT or something. You'll have more of an idea than me :tongue: but yeah, just a little bit at a time, it'll help more than you think!

Original post by Ellie8286
Okay, apart from finding motivation to revise (I know it's early) but I'm worrying that I'm not going to know it all!

I replied to someone else about motivation, but little and often is always easier than waiting until you have loads and loads to get done. Aim for a question a day or topic a week or something, and set yourself goals so you can see yourself making progress. Anything you can cover is better than none, no-one is going to ever know absolutely everything whatever they say. Just do your best and that's all anyone can ask :smile:

Original post by megan-ginley
All subjects are going great apart from english language paper 1 and writing section

You have plenty of time to work on those! Have you tried asking your teachers what you can do to improve in them, or if they have any practice questions or resources that could help? :smile:

Original post by r34h4n
enjoying the challenge of all my subjects, hoping to do biology and chemistry and summat else at a level. my hardest subjects are definitively geography and computer science especially with the nea i’m starting in a few weeks😭

That's really good! Those subject choices as well are interesting. What's the nea on? :smile:
Improving slowly is good! Little bit at a time, you'll get there :smile:

What in particular do you find hard about science? Have you looked at the resources on TSR or anywhere like that?

I did all of those :smile: I don't remember the workload being particularly bad, the main thing is just to make sure you understand things as you go along and if you need help ask for it. Otherwise it all just adds up or as you haven't got your head round one thing you can't do the next. It saves so much work to just do stuff as you go rather than all at the end! But yeah, you'll be alright. Good luck!

You can do it! Anything is better than none and you probably know more than you think. If you have a revision guide then have a read through one of them, or even just sort out your notes and things so you know what you've got where? Or just pick a topic and write everything you know about it or a past paper. There's loads of little things you can do. Good luck :smile:

Are you in your first year or second? Workload can definitely be a challenge, I'm finding the same at the minute. Don't worry about mocks, they are daunting I know but they're there to help you and show what you need to work or need help on. Schools like to put a lot of emphasis on them beforehand but they are just to see how you're doing. Just do your best, that's all anyone can ask :smile: Well done on your drama exam, that must have been scary!

Okay, so, basically my chemistry assessments could've gone a hell of a lot better. I thought I was prepared. I thought I knew how to answer the questions. However, on the day, I screwed up - and I screwed up badly.

All my friends got higher scores than me and were expecting me to do the same but I didn't. One of them purposely singled me out and said "Let's not talk about her grades, they'll probably be really high" and that ****ed with me because they're not and I am sick of being framed as the perfect student and getting shunned by her.

Since the fault lies in how I answered the questions I was thinking of going over past papers. Does TSR have a feature that can filter through questions individually and pick them out based on certain subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest