The Student Room Group

‘gifted kid’ - does it continue?

i’ve always been smart, as a child i never needed extra help and all i ever got was ‘she’s so bright’.
i’m 16 now, and i’m still smart and doing well at school. i’m predicted straight 9’s in my gcses - but i’m just scared the second i go to sixth form, i’m gonna fail and suddenly become dumb.

is it even possible to be naturally intelligent? i don’t want to rely on that to do well, even though i probably could. i was just wondering when people’s ’natural intelligence’ usually begins to fail them, because so far i haven’t really seen a change in my grades or how difficult i find school.

i’m able to pick up new concepts and learn new things extremely quickly and easily, and i always have been able. so is that ever just gonna stop?
Original post by lc_007
i’ve always been smart, as a child i never needed extra help and all i ever got was ‘she’s so bright’.
i’m 16 now, and i’m still smart and doing well at school. i’m predicted straight 9’s in my gcses - but i’m just scared the second i go to sixth form, i’m gonna fail and suddenly become dumb.

is it even possible to be naturally intelligent? i don’t want to rely on that to do well, even though i probably could. i was just wondering when people’s ’natural intelligence’ usually begins to fail them, because so far i haven’t really seen a change in my grades or how difficult i find school.

i’m able to pick up new concepts and learn new things extremely quickly and easily, and i always have been able. so is that ever just gonna stop?

I know people who got all 7-9s (and even 8-9s) in their GCSEs only to fail A-levels/struggle heavily (especially during year 13 which is when many will suffer with the big jump). A-levels are not a joke and will require more work than just natural intelligence. You may be able to pick up new concepts easily but a-levels also require that great understanding and depth between each topic which will require more time to hone in on.

What do you plan on doing for a-levels?
(edited 6 months ago)
Intelligence will only get you so far from my observations. I've seen far too many straight 8-9 students at GCSE go on to flop their A-Levels because they relied on their intelligence too heavily, had never had to put much effort into independent study before, and as a result had no idea how to revise effectively leading to mediocre grades. Regardless of ''being able to pick up new concepts quickly and easily'', the sheer volume of A-Level content compared to GCSEs means you will have to sit down and review material after class.

My advice is to learn your revision techniques now so you won't have to learn to revise effectively in the months leading up to the real exams. Build good habits from the beginning so when the moment ''natural intelligence'' doesn't cut it anymore (and this moment happens to EVERY gifted kid at some point) you can fall back onto hard work and good study habits to get you there. Don't be so arrogant as to think this won't happen to you - people get good grades not just because of ''being smart'', but because they combine this with hard work.
Original post by lc_007

Reply 3
I breezed GCSE with A*s and As, no work whatsoever really, bored rigid at school.

Failed my A Levels.

Breezed through 3 degrees and struggled slightly more with two PGCerts.

There's much more to it than 'naturally clever', lots of factors play into it, not least motivation.

Quick Reply

Latest