The Student Room Group

Anyone still watching Doctor Who?

Or is the Whovian fandom slowly becoming extinct?
(edited 6 years ago)
it's gone a bit weird recently ?
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
it's gone a bit weird recently ?

Think you’ll carry on?
Original post by dxna.s
Think you’ll carry on?

they have like jumped the shark by changing the Time Lord into a Time Lady ?
I love it, i watch it every time its on and have all the DVDS
I love it so much
I still watch it but largely in the hope that it will get better. Moffat is evidently good at writing one shots and very short series, give him anything longer and he gets way to up his own arse. The show got better this last season for the most part, Bill was a way more interesting and entertaining companion than Clara and the gradual return of multi-episode arcs was a nice shift.

Now that Moffat is leaving I'm really hopeful that the next series will be significantly better though I'm sure it will be quite different. Bit sad to see Peter Capaldi go but I'm sure Jodie Whittaker will put in a great performance.
I love Dr . who especially Amy pond,Rory,Matt Smith,River, Clara Oswald the list goes on
Reply 8
I miss Eleven and Amy so much.... and Twelve and Clara :frown: I’m just said because it’s not them in the next series lol
I've started rewatching the classic episodes from the start.
I've not watched 12. I've only watched half of 11.
don't know if I agree with him changing into a timelady.
Reply 11
I skipped the recent season because it was just terrible but im gonna watch the christmas special to see Capaldis regenration, he was an alright doctor.
Original post by Gwilym101
I still watch it but largely in the hope that it will get better. Moffat is evidently good at writing one shots and very short series, give him anything longer and he gets way to up his own arse. The show got better this last season for the most part, Bill was a way more interesting and entertaining companion than Clara and the gradual return of multi-episode arcs was a nice shift.

Now that Moffat is leaving I'm really hopeful that the next series will be significantly better though I'm sure it will be quite different. Bit sad to see Peter Capaldi go but I'm sure Jodie Whittaker will put in a great performance.

I totally agree with your valuation about Moffat. The longer the story, the more plot holes are appearing, but some of the single episodes are just great.
I did not like the Clara-Story at all and I missed Amy all the time, but Bill (and Nardol) was a very cool companion and with her in the series, I was able to enjoy the new doctor more than before.

I am very excited about the new female doctor and I hope she gets a cool new companion. I don't think it is a problem because the time lords are above the gender concept, like the doctor himself said. The master also reincanates as a mistress, so it is totally fine if she is a good actress and can fullfill the role of the doctor.
I think Jodie Whittaker is a great actress, and I think they've struck the right balance between someone who isn't too well known, and someone who is already known to be up to the job. Also I think it isn't appreciated enough how much it makes the behind the scenes stuff run smoothly if the showrunner and the lead actor are on good terms, and I'd say it generally behind the scenes stuff being good natured makes the show better
Original post by Gwilym101

mhm, totally agree. Moffat killed Doctor Who for me, hasn't been the same since Tennant left.

Apparently the new writer of DW, Chris Chibnall, was also the same writer for Broadchurch, so i too am hopeful
Original post by dxna.s
Or is the Whovian fandom slowly becoming extinct?

Nah. I feel it has lost its horror edge. Used to scare the crap out of me, I'd be afraid to walk the dogs at night for the cybermen. I used to get freaked out whenever multiple lights cast my shadow multiple times too in that book episode with the aliens that disguised themselves as a shadow.

Not really scary anymore and with the new doctor being a grill it just feels like it was a diversity push rather than a genuine part of the story.
I'm probably just gonna watch Smith again while they have this year of fan fiction
Reply 17
I still rather like albeit the Xmas special was a bit shite...

Quick Reply

Latest