The Student Room Group

Why do women still give birth on their backs?

I heard that King Louis XIV apparently liked to watch his wives and mistresses pushing out his children. And that he liked to watch for "perverted" reasons and ever since then its been a popular position.

Surely lying on your back during birth increases labor, and slows contractions, yet the majority of women give birth in this position. There xrays to show than pelvic outlet becomes wider when squatting or on your hands and knees, which helps to shorten labor if you squat or kneel rather than on ur back.

My mum had a friend who was going through labour and she wanted to give birth standing up but the doctors made her lie down and give birth like that. The same happened with some of my aunts friends. Many women who have given birth standing up or kneeling have said that it was easier than them for lying on their back.

I don't understand why we can't give birth in easier ways or let women decide how to give birth. Why isn't this normalized yet. Surely the comfort of the mother is important too.

I dont have any experience with being a doctor or even going to med school, this is all information i've read up online. It just makes me scared thinking about how painful labour can be even though there might be easier ways to go through with it. It makes me never wants to have a child. idk the whole thing makes me scared because everyone paints it as this magical experience but it sounds like the most painful thing in the world. The only thing good about it is if the mother and baby are alive and well at the end of it.
AFAIK upright birth might be easier on the mother, but creates significant difficulties for the medial staff for them to monitor or act.

I really doubt it's a French kink gone mad.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
AFAIK upright birth might be easier on the mother, but creates significant difficulties for the medial staff for them to monitor or act.

I really doubt it's a French kink gone mad.

idk i searched it up and that king came up, no offence to the staff but who cares if its difficult for them
Original post by Anonymous #1
I heard that King Louis XIV apparently liked to watch his wives and mistresses pushing out his children. And that he liked to watch for "perverted" reasons and ever since then its been a popular position.

Surely lying on your back during birth increases labor, and slows contractions, yet the majority of women give birth in this position. There xrays to show than pelvic outlet becomes wider when squatting or on your hands and knees, which helps to shorten labor if you squat or kneel rather than on ur back.

My mum had a friend who was going through labour and she wanted to give birth standing up but the doctors made her lie down and give birth like that. The same happened with some of my aunts friends. Many women who have given birth standing up or kneeling have said that it was easier than them for lying on their back.

I don't understand why we can't give birth in easier ways or let women decide how to give birth. Why isn't this normalized yet. Surely the comfort of the mother is important too.

I dont have any experience with being a doctor or even going to med school, this is all information i've read up online. It just makes me scared thinking about how painful labour can be even though there might be easier ways to go through with it. It makes me never wants to have a child. idk the whole thing makes me scared because everyone paints it as this magical experience but it sounds like the most painful thing in the world. The only thing good about it is if the mother and baby are alive and well at the end of it.

I have had two babies and nothing could have prized me from that bed in the later stages of labour.However women have a lot more choice these days on how they position themselves plus most of your labour is spent at home where you can do what you want anyway.Tbh it is painful but you have lots of pain relief options including an epidural where you will feel nothing.I would stop fixating on it for now and when you want a baby you can work the rest out then.
Original post by Anonymous #1
idk i searched it up and that king came up, no offence to the staff but who cares if its difficult for them

Pretty much everyone, it means they can carry out their duty of care effectively in the patients best interests.

You're aware that there's several birth circumstances like use of tools/surgery that absolutely need the mother to be lying down, and that these aren't things the mother could effectively do themselves?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending