The Student Room Group

How can I get fit with a bad leg?

Hurt it while running back in February/March, missed the doctors appointments and it still hurts now. I've got another one later this month but I don't see what they'll be able to do about it. I can walk but not jog or run, at the gym I'm stuck at around 400 calories burnt on the treadmill, I can't lose any more than that because of my damn leg. At this rate I'll never get fitter. I guess I could just walk for another hour but that doesn't get me better at running. Probably being stupid but I hope it's not gonna be like this forever.
Reply 1
Can you manage to swim, so it's low impact?

Otherwise, try 'Chairobics', which are exercises done sitting down; there are plenty of programmes online for if you have reduced mobility.
Reply 2
Original post by Deathbysnoosnoo
Hurt it while running back in February/March, missed the doctors appointments and it still hurts now. I've got another one later this month but I don't see what they'll be able to do about it. I can walk but not jog or run, at the gym I'm stuck at around 400 calories burnt on the treadmill, I can't lose any more than that because of my damn leg. At this rate I'll never get fitter. I guess I could just walk for another hour but that doesn't get me better at running. Probably being stupid but I hope it's not gonna be like this forever.

Where abouts in your leg is the pain? Do you know whether it is bone/muscle/nerve/something else? (Obviously TSR is no replacement for advice from a qualified medical professional)

Also fitness is not determined by calories burnt, even if the number shown isn't too inaccurate. Aim to do some form of movement something that you genuinely enjoy, raises your heart rate a little, and does not aggravate your leg. With practice, things that initially feel hard will start to feel a bit easier, and boom! you're getting fitter.

Speaking as someone who loves (and is pretty good at) running, and has also had a number of leg/foot niggles (and too much time off running):
- Don't overdo it. Don't do too much running, or walking, or any other form of exercise. Ease into things, listen to your body, stop if you're not feeling good, stop if something hurts or feels a bit dodgy. Warm up properly, do enough stretching and strength work.
- Eat enough. Get plenty of carbohydrates, protein, fats, vitamins and minerals, and enough energy overall. Hydrate. Your body needs lots of energy just to survive, plus a lot more if you're exercising, and additionally recovering from injury takes a lot. Don't stress over gaining weight it's far better to be giving your body enough fuel so that it can heal properly, do whatever non-running activities you do, and when you do start running again, you're in the best possible place (strong and fuelled up) to really focus on your comeback. Don't try to be losing weight at the same time as trying to improve your fitness and recover from injury you'll just hinder your progress.
- Sleep. Rest. Sometimes it's better for your body to have a few days/weeks completely off exercise, to give it chance to actually heal more quickly.
- Find something you enjoy to do instead of running. I personally love cycling (outside!!), or the elliptical machine if I have access to a gym. Swimming's nice and low impact, walking's nice but keep it short and gentle, and there are plenty of decent videos on YouTube which cover a huge range of intensities and impact levels. BUT don't be out for hours! (see above). Or, do something else. Baking, watching films, gardening.
- See a doctor, physio, or someone else who may be able to suggest a) what the problem is, b) what to avoid doing, c) what you can do, and d) how to help it get better.
- Don't get too caught up in the numbers. There is so much more to moving your body than "calories burnt", and the number you're given is likely pretty inaccurate anyway. Same goes for weight, food intake (don't restrict!), heart rate, steps, and all the other numbers on your watch or whatever. Exercise to feel good.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest