The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Medicine Help

was it wise I applied oxford?? People are saying im not strong enough for GCSEs and shouldve went for Cambridge! should i be worried ? :frown:

GCSEs: 3A*s, 8A's, 2B's
Alevels predictions: A*A*A*A*A* ( EPQ C prediction)

edit: my gcse school was very bad so these were good results, does that change anything?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
I actually already did my BMAT during sept

Section 1: 7.3
Section 2: 7.9
Section 3: 3.5A

do i stand a chance combined with low gcses for oxford thinking back now and my quite high bmat?
Original post by Oxbridge_
was it wise I applied oxford?? People are saying im not strong enough for GCSEs and shouldve went for Cambridge! should i be worried ? :frown:

GCSEs: 3A*s, 8A's, 2B's
Alevels predictions: A*A*A*A*A* ( EPQ C prediction)

edit: my gcse school was very bad so these were good results, does that change anything?

Typically I’d say it’s not much of a problem given A-Levels outweigh everything - But for Oxford and more noticeably medicine, GCSE’s do hold a huge waiting.

Data from either 2015 or 2016 showed that the lowest number of A*’s anyone was successful for getting into medicine there with, was 5.

(Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, this was something I was told recently and haven’t looked for the data myself.) To the OP, please do search up the data just to confirm if you wish to.

It doesn’t mean you won’t get it. It just means it’s less likely due to the competition. Either way, you’ve applied now, and I wish you the best of luck.
Standard Entry medics are only permitted to take the BMAT in November. The September session may only be used for GEM students.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat-september/about-bmat-september/

** University of Oxford Medicine and BioMedical Sciences: The University of Oxford will only accept BMAT results from the November session for A100 Medicine and BC98 Biomedical Sciences. If you are applying for either of these courses at the University of Oxford, you must take the test in November only, even if you are also applying to institutions/courses that accept September results.
Reply 4
Original post by MissingPhoton
Standard Entry medics are only permitted to take the BMAT in November. The September session may only be used for GEM students.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat-september/about-bmat-september/

** University of Oxford Medicine and BioMedical Sciences: The University of Oxford will only accept BMAT results from the November session for A100 Medicine and BC98 Biomedical Sciences. If you are applying for either of these courses at the University of Oxford, you must take the test in November only, even if you are also applying to institutions/courses that accept September results.

Oh crap :O
Reply 5
arghhhh ive really messed up!!! only got hope for the 3 other ukcat unis ive applied
Original post by Oxbridge_
arghhhh ive really messed up!!! only got hope for the 3 other ukcat unis ive applied

Yes.

Contact Oxford to confirm there is no way they could make an exception, apologise and be truthful saying you didn't realise. Point out your school is low performing and didn't help you with your application, but don't sound like you're childishly blaming them. Very improbable they will make an exception but its worth a try and your score was excellent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending