The Student Room Group

Poll: In your opinion, how is the world as we know it going to end?

Poll

In your opinion how is the world as we know it going to end?

If other, explain your choice.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Nuclear conflict.
Overpopulation.
Outbreak of a pandemic disease.
Mass floodings/Global warming.
Eruption of super volcano
other

Yep
Yep
Yep
Yep/Yep
Yep - but not for a few hundred years
Yep - Alien invasion
Reply 2
Original post by NBingham
Yep
Yep
Yep
Yep/Yep
Yep - but not for a few hundred years
Yep - Alien invasion

Vote in the poll.
Reply 3
Vote in the poll.

Can't vote all of them though
I voted other. I think it will generally be due to a destruction of ecosystems and the gradual loss of ecosystem services. Partly due to climate change, but also due to things like loss of pollinators through disease, disruption of nutrient and water cycles, etc.
Reply 5
Original post by TheBirder
I voted other. I think it will generally be due to a destruction of ecosystems and the gradual loss of ecosystem services. Partly due to climate change, but also due to things like loss of pollinators through disease, disruption of nutrient and water cycles, etc.

Interesting.
Reply 6
Zombie apocalypse.
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
Zombie apocalypse.

That would be outbreak of a pandemic disease, wouldn't it? :tongue:
Reply 8
Bump.
The most realistic answer is the self-advancement of artificial intelligence. This doesn't mean we'd all die, but the world as we'd know it would change forever in some way.
Snowflake Apocalypse: hordes of whiny millennials take over and bore everyone to death.
Original post by GovernmentEarner
The most realistic answer is the self-advancement of artificial intelligence. This doesn't mean we'd all die, but the world as we'd know it would change forever in some way.

I don't know about that, at this stage I think overpopulation is realistic. Overpopulation will in turn further problems such as disease and global warming.

Cyber warfare destroying all our infrastructure
Original post by GovernmentEarner
The world has enough supplies to support population growth for 1000's of years. Yes, certain nations may struggle, but world GDP keeps increasing, and world poverty keeps decreasing. Meanwhile AI could be a direct threat in the next 50 years, if not managed correctly.

Hmm, I still think that overpopulation could increase the rate of global warming though, more people-more fuels being used up, more cars, etc...
Original post by Rory0007
Cyber warfare destroying all our infrastructure

Watchdogs.

A bit off topic but do you actually believe this is the most peaceful time in human history as politicians say?

Personally, I don't and think the world has got worse since 9/11 and the wars in Afghanistan/ Syria etc.

I think the most likely end to the world would probably be global warming or lack of resources creating a ww3 or something.
Original post by iodo345
A bit off topic but do you actually believe this is the most peaceful time in human history as politicians say?

Personally, I don't and think the world has got worse since 9/11 and the wars in Afghanistan/ Syria etc.

I think the most likely end to the world would probably be global warming or lack of resources creating a ww3 or something.

I feel like we live in a very strange period of history. I do agree that we probably are living in one of, if not the most peaceful periods in history. However I do feel like somthing tragic and absolutely devestating to humanity could be hiding just around the corner, something like one of the options above.
I feel like we live in a very strange period of history. I do agree that we probably are living in one of, if not the most peaceful periods in history. However I do feel like somthing tragic and absolutely devestating to humanity could be hiding just around the corner, something like one of the options above.

Yeah I don't think peace can last forever tbh and there will be something that will trigger violence.

I don't know if it will be in the next 30-50 years but I can't see some of the issues involving global warming going away. There is also a lot of division with the immigration/extremism problem.

I don't think the future is as optimistic as some people try to make out.
Original post by iodo345
Yeah I don't think peace can last forever tbh and there will be something that will trigger violence.

I don't know if it will be in the next 30-50 years but I can't see some of the issues involving global warming going away. There is also a lot of division with the immigration/extremism problem.

I don't think the future is as optimistic as some people try to make out.

Exactly, something is definitely brewing.
Exactly, something is definitely brewing.

I try to explain this to people but they either oblivious to issues or think that everything will be normal in the next 30 years or so yet looking at current trends there is cause for concern.

I think a lot of people are brainwashed tbh and until problems effect their daily life they will remain oblivious.

I've heard some say we are living in the 1930's.

ie we are living in a period of mass unemployment, social problems (extremism etc) and there are parallels between now in history and 1930

Would you agree with this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending