The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry organic help URGENT!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LRxS
The one on the bottom right? Just rotate the whole thing round and you'll get the zig zag with branches on top again.

so will you still get the same marks for either shape you draw?
Reply 21
IMG_4165.jpg
Attachment not found
Original post by GCSE 9
For e.g.
Skeletal+formula+of+organic+compounds.jpg
the second diagram, it has not got a cyclic shape but looks like a hexagon, why can't it be a zig-zag shape?

The one on the bottom right? It is a zig zag. It's the same as the one @fullmetal heart drew, it's just been rotated round. The pictures I've attached are of the same drawing - I just turned the paper round.
Reply 22
Original post by GCSE 9

They're the same shape, so yes. You can draw it any way up you want. However your one with the changing angles wouldn't be accepted.
Reply 23
Original post by black1blade
@LRxS on your cyclopropane, you should draw the hydrogens outside the ring in the displayed formula.

I know, I just decided I couldn't be bothered to redraw the whole page 😂
Original post by LRxS
I know, I just decided I couldn't be bothered to redraw the whole page 😂

Or scribble out the wrong thing and redraw it :P.
Original post by GCSE 9

Yes as long as every carbon is a corner (the one you drew is wrong).
Chemistry starting to get difficult :tongue:
Truss
Reply 28
Skeletal formulae:

- Make sure there is always an angle between each line (usually 120 degrees or less)
- The lines represent the bonds between carbon atoms, where one line means single bond and double line means double bond.
- The point where two lines meet are carbon atoms.
- Hydrogen atoms are always omitted from the skeleton.
- If there's a functional group (e.g. carboxyl group), then draw a small line from where the lines meet, and write the functional group.
- Any ring structure means it's a cyclic molecule. For e.g. cyclopentene

Google images has tonnes of examples, and practice drawing them from the names of molecules. It's is something that you can learn pretty quickly.

Also chemrevise, your textbook, revision guides, and other websites have explanations on how to draw skeletal formulae or deduce the IUPAC name from them.
Thanks everyone 😊
I just have one more question, it's on concentration:
IMG_0469.jpg
Btw it's part b) and I'm very confused because volume is supposed to be in dm^3, as I've put in my final answer but apparently they wanted it in cm^3, so the answer was 109.09 cm^3 which is weird because in concentration volume is always in dm^3.
Also you had to convert the 100cm3 into 0.1 dm3 but you have to put the final answer in cm3
If anyone can help it would be so appreciated 🦋
Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks everyone 😊
IMG_0469.jpg
Btw it's part b) and I'm very confused because volume is supposed to be in dm^3, as I've put in my final answer but apparently they wanted it in cm^3, so the answer was 109.09 cm^3 which is weird because in concentration volume is always in dm^3.
Also you had to convert the 100cm3 into 0.1 dm3 but you have to put the final answer in cm3

Sounds like a mistake on their part tbh
Original post by GCSE 9
But in the picture- diagram 2 (to the right) it was different from both of ours:
Skeletal+formula+of+organic+compounds.jpg
Their was a kind of hexagon shape, so which shape is correct :smile:

My drawing is the one in the diagram rotated, so it means the same thing.
Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks everyone 😊
IMG_0469.jpg

If you used pV = nRT then the volume calculated is in cubic metres.

Quick Reply

Latest