The Student Room Group

Revision techniques.

Hey!
I'm really confused on how to revise right now, I've searched everywhere and watched countless videos but it's just made me more stressed (?)

I've re done some of my old books into smaller notes which was a popular tip, and I've done mind maps using my old book BUT I feel like school notes are not enough.

I've bought the COMPLETE GCSE COURSE for all 3 sciences AND the smaller revision booklets from CGP. Right now I feel as if its all going to waste as I don't even know when to use it because its too overwhelming with so many books and notes.
And other revision books for subjects.

Please write down any helpful techniques you have for any subject of these subjects:

- Maths
- English Lit & Lang
-Physics
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Geography
-Business study
-German
-Computer science
-RE

Also how do you use the syllabus for revision?

THANK YOU!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by 9's before baes
Hey!
I'm really confused on how to revise right now, I've searched everywhere and watched countless videos but it's just made me more stressed (?)

I've re done some of my old books into smaller notes which was a popular tip, and I've done mind maps using my old book BUT I feel like school notes are not enough.

I've bought the COMPLETE GCSE COURSE for all 3 sciences AND the smaller revision booklets from CGP. Right now I feel as if its all going to waste as I don't even know when to use it because its too overwhelming with so many books and notes.

Please write down any helpful techniques you have for any subject of these subjects:

- Maths
- English Lit & Lang
-Physics
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Geography
-Business study
-German
-Computer science

THANK YOU!

for maths, i do a past paper/specimen paper and this highlights any holes in my memory or if i have forgotten a certain topic. i also make a list of all equations i do not know e.g quadratic formula, sine and cosine rule and formulas for 3d and shape area and volume.

eng lit- depending on what you are studying, for a play, learn key quotes for certain characters/themes, and know what occurs in each scene. This can be applied for novel etc. Look at exam qs and just plan how you would answer to see if you need to work on exam techniques.

eng lang- revise how structure answers for qs on language and structure. for descriptive writing, write a paragraph on sky, clouds, weather etc and memorise because this can always be applied when answering qs.

bio/chem/phys - i am struggling myself with revision techniques but we have regular end of chapter tests in school and these help me remember previous content.

phys- make sure that for every required practical, revise safety hazards in experiment, if results are accurate, repeatable and reproducible. possible sources of error and how to minimise errors from occuring

german- i do french so same things apply. i am currently learning my speaking qs and rewriting any essays that have mistakes.

i do not do computer science

geog- i am just confused because my teacher has no idea what she is doing.

hope that this information helps you!
Original post by Liz1919
for maths, i do a past paper/specimen paper and this highlights any holes in my memory or if i have forgotten a certain topic. i also make a list of all equations i do not know e.g quadratic formula, sine and cosine rule and formulas for 3d and shape area and volume.

eng lit- depending on what you are studying, for a play, learn key quotes for certain characters/themes, and know what occurs in each scene. This can be applied for novel etc. Look at exam qs and just plan how you would answer to see if you need to work on exam techniques.

eng lang- revise how structure answers for qs on language and structure. for descriptive writing, write a paragraph on sky, clouds, weather etc and memorise because this can always be applied when answering qs.

bio/chem/phys - i am struggling myself with revision techniques but we have regular end of chapter tests in school and these help me remember previous content.

phys- make sure that for every required practical, revise safety hazards in experiment, if results are accurate, repeatable and reproducible. possible sources of error and how to minimise errors from occuring

german- i do french so same things apply. i am currently learning my speaking qs and rewriting any essays that have mistakes.

i do not do computer science

geog- i am just confused because my teacher has no idea what she is doing.

hope that this information helps you!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this!
If I find any tips, I'll be sure to tell you :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this!
If I find any tips, I'll be sure to tell you :smile:

please do
Try making flashcards! I used tons of these at GCSE for most of my subjects and still use them now at A Level.

They're really handy for sciences and languages and any small but essential bits of info you need e.g an equation in physics/some statistics for geography/a quote from a character in english.
Past papers are also really useful. You can do them at your own pace and then work up to doing them in timed conditions - get your teacher to mark them or google the mark scheme yourself.

You can also create flashcards online with Quizlet (can get the app on your phone too) and take revision with you on the go.

Hope this has helped & best of luck to you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by abbiebentley
Try making flashcards! I used tons of these at GCSE for most of my subjects and still use them now at A Level.

They're really handy for sciences and languages and any small but essential bits of info you need e.g an equation in physics/some statistics for geography/a quote from a character in english.
Past papers are also really useful. You can do them at your own pace and then work up to doing them in timed conditions - get your teacher to mark them or google the mark scheme yourself.

You can also create flashcards online with Quizlet (can get the app on your phone too) and take revision with you on the go.

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by abbiebentley

Thanks!
Hey!

- Maths
- English Lit & Lang
-Physics
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Geography
-Business study
-German
-Computer science

THANK YOU!

For Computer Science make sure you do plenty of past papers. Same with Maths and the Sciences.
Reply 8
Here's a list of memory things to look out for

Mind Maps - also known as spider charts
Cheat sheets
Index/flash cards

Acronyms
Poems and rhymes
Musical lyrics
Repetition

Loci method
Roman Room method
Journey method
Visualisation
Association with what you already know

Tape recordings/pod casts
Videos
You Tube
Quiz sites and web pages

For English I used the cheat sheet and mind map book which worked really well for me, as well as Mr Bruffs You Tube videos and download book (£4). I found Acronyms highly helpful as well as visualising the actual exam in detail.

If you want to learn about the memory and how it works I suggest reading the chapter on it in the Introduction to Psychology by Atkinson and co.
Hey does anyone have any good books for aqa gcse triple sciences?
Original post by Want_To_Achieve
For Computer Science make sure you do plenty of past papers. Same with Maths and the Sciences.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Purdy7
Here's a list of memory things to look out for

Mind Maps - also known as spider charts
Cheat sheets
Index/flash cards

Acronyms
Poems and rhymes
Musical lyrics
Repetition

Loci method
Roman Room method
Journey method
Visualisation
Association with what you already know

Tape recordings/pod casts
Videos
You Tube
Quiz sites and web pages

For English I used the cheat sheet and mind map book which worked really well for me, as well as Mr Bruffs You Tube videos and download book (£4). I found Acronyms highly helpful as well as visualising the actual exam in detail.

If you want to learn about the memory and how it works I suggest reading the chapter on it in the Introduction to Psychology by Atkinson and co.

Thank you for taking the time to write this!

Quick Reply

Latest