The Student Room Group

FY1s renting Apartments

Would an FY1 need a guarantor? I'm a final year Irish medical student hoping to start FY1 next year. Just wondering if I would need to have a guarantor because I don't have any family in the UK who can act as one.
Original post by RainBow_xo
Would an FY1 need a guarantor? I'm a final year Irish medical student hoping to start FY1 next year. Just wondering if I would need to have a guarantor because I don't have any family in the UK who can act as one.

Why would you need a guarantor when you're going to be working a full time well paying job?
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
Why would you need a guarantor when you're going to be working a full time well paying job?

Some agencies seem to ask for one if you aren't employed at the time of application, especially if you don't have a previous landlord reference. Mr Helenia needed one when he rented his first flat as a graduate before starting his first job - years ago now but I don't imagine they've got less strict!
Reply 3

Just like Helenia mentioned, some agencies ask for one but you won't know whether you need one until after the reference check.
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
Some agencies seem to ask for one if you aren't employed at the time of application, especially if you don't have a previous landlord reference. Mr Helenia needed one when he rented his first flat as a graduate before starting his first job - years ago now but I don't imagine they've got less strict!

By any chance would you remember when you get your contract for FY1? I might just wait until I get that to look for housing.
Original post by Helenia

Just like Helenia mentioned, some agencies ask for one but you won't know whether you need one until after the reference check.

Oh I see, fair enough (though undoubtedly very annoying!).
Reply 6
Oh I see, fair enough (though undoubtedly very annoying!).

I know right! It's so hard to know whether I'll be able to get a flat or if I'll have any difficulty. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed, although it wouldn't make sense for me to need a guarantor
I know right! It's so hard to know whether I'll be able to get a flat or if I'll have any difficulty. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed, although it wouldn't make sense for me to need a guarantor

If it helps at all, I wasn't asked for a guarantor.

I can definitely see the hospital admin machine getting all "computer says no" if you ask for proof of employment before you've actually started work, so my (very obvious) advice would be to try and get on to HR early on so they can so they can offer some sort of assurance that you are definitely going to be in employment imminently.
Reply 8

I can definitely see the hospital admin machine getting all "computer says no" if you ask for proof of employment before you've actually started work, so my (very obvious) advice would be to try and get on to HR early on so they can so they can offer some sort of assurance that you are definitely going to be in employment imminently.

That does help, thank you! I will keep that in mind and sort that early on. It's great to know that you didn't need a guarantor. There's hope.

HR are absolutely awful at this. I nearly had to offer a guarantor for my house for CT1 because my deanery HR wrote a letter saying I only had a provisional offer of employment that remained subject to a million and one conditions, and because of the new contract rules they were unable to confirm what my salary would be. The letting agency just kept demanding to see a contract, which I didn't get until two months into the job.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
HR are absolutely awful at this. I nearly had to offer a guarantor for my house for CT1 because my deanery HR wrote a letter saying I only had a provisional offer of employment that remained subject to a million and one conditions, and because of the new contract rules they were unable to confirm what my salary would be. The letting agency just kept demanding to see a contract, which I didn't get until two months into the job.

Wow, that sucks! Gosh there may be no hope of me securing a place before working then...
Wow, that sucks! Gosh there may be no hope of me securing a place before working then...

It depends where you look - some agencies are stricter than others. If you are struggling, it's quite common for people to get a room in hospital accommodation for a month or two while finding a "proper" place to live.
Reply 12

When I initially started renting a place, the lettings agents did have a bit of an issue about me not having a contract at the time and asked me for a guarantor. However, the landlord was very nice about it and decided one wasn't needed.

When you start looking for places, make it clear in the beginning what your position is, so that the agents can think of ways around it (the letting agents I was with were actually very nice about it).

As Helenia has said though, a lot of F1s I am with were initially in hospital accommodation, so they had time to settle into the area and have a look around first before jumping on a property.
Original post by Angury
When I initially started renting a place, the lettings agents did have a bit of an issue about me not having a contract at the time and asked me for a guarantor. However, the landlord was very nice about it and decided one wasn't needed.

When you start looking for places, make it clear in the beginning what your position is, so that the agents can think of ways around it (the letting agents I was with were actually very nice about it).

As Helenia has said though, a lot of F1s I am with were initially in hospital accommodation, so they had time to settle into the area and have a look around first before jumping on a property.

Original post by Helenia
It depends where you look - some agencies are stricter than others. If you are struggling, it's quite common for people to get a room in hospital accommodation for a month or two while finding a "proper" place to live.

This is a good idea. I didn't know this was an option. I'll have a look into these as well! Thank you both.
Just adding that I have had to provide a guarantor despite being able to prove that i had enough money in the bank to pay the entire year's rent. A summary of our interaction:

'Oh, what if you spend your money huh? You need to provide a contract telling us your actual wage'.
'What if i spend my wages?'
'um erm... them the rules shut up and pay'.

:mad:

And it only gets worse when it comes to applying for a mortgage...
I'm trying to rent now (CT1) and was asked to get a guarantor for the lettings agency as I appear to be employed for only 6 months, but want to rent on a 12 month tenancy. I contacted as many different people as I could but nobody could cough up something saying I am in fact employed for 2 years. Luckily after my explanations the lettings agent basically seems happy to ignore the financial assessment and allow it, but I feel I'm just lucky that is the case. I feel somewhat resentful because in my view this is just yet another example of something the NHS could do to make our lives less difficult (and in line with everybody else's employment) - but won't.
Reply 16
By any chance would you remember when you get your contract for FY1? I might just wait until I get that to look for housing.

Contract??

I've been working for 3 months and still not seen mine.

Original post by nexttime
Just adding that I have had to provide a guarantor despite being able to prove that i had enough money in the bank to pay the entire year's rent. A summary of our interaction:

'Oh, what if you spend your money huh? You need to provide a contract telling us your actual wage'.
'What if i spend my wages?'
'um erm... them the rules shut up and pay'.

:mad:

Sorry but that's hilarious

I didn't see this before but again just to add: I've started 3 new jobs so far. In two i got my contract about 6 weeks after starting. In the other I never received any contract.

This is the NHS, and as a staff member you are very low priority. They will mess up your pay, they will get your rota to you just a couple weeks before you start, who knows about any contract, and they will make your life difficult in unnecessarily and creative other ways. As a general rule: don't wait for NHS admin to do anything important!
Thank you all for replying! I will just hope for the best when I have to start looking for somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending