The Student Room Group

LSE, UCL or Warwick?

I've already sent off my UCAS application and am confident of getting offers from UCL, LSE and Warwick (already have the Warwick offer). However I am unsure which of these three would be the best course to pick.

Warwick - MORSE (A*AA)
UCL - Maths with Economics (A*A*A)
LSE - Financial Mathematics and Statistics (A*AA)

I'm predicted A*s in both Maths and Further Maths, getting 97% UMS at AS, and I really enjoy studying it. So I'm currently leaning towards MORSE as it seems more mathematically orientated. I also haven't studied Economics at A-Level so am wary of picking a course I'll struggle to catch up with.

Which course do you reckon would be best to pick for a future course in IB/consultancy? Please take into account that the cost of living in London isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance
Original post by yusufhussain
I've already sent off my UCAS application and am confident of getting offers from UCL, LSE and Warwick (already have the Warwick offer). However I am unsure which of these three would be the best course to pick.

Warwick - MORSE (A*AA)

I'm predicted A*s in both Maths and Further Maths, getting 97% UMS at AS, and I really enjoy studying it. So I'm currently leaning towards MORSE as it seems more mathematically orientated. I also haven't studied Economics at A-Level so am wary of picking a course I'll struggle to catch up with.

Which course do you reckon would be best to pick for a future course in IB/consultancy? Please take into account that the cost of living in London isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance

An important factor is whether you currently have, or can see yourself having, international ambitions. If so, LSE certainly has the most name recognition across the world in comparison to the others you listed.

Warwick - MORSE (A*AA)

Thanks in advance

At LSE you will have to work more, but have a better name on your CV. Then UCL is pretty much equivalent to Warwick in terms of recognition. Pick the one you like the most in terms of atmosphere and location but would still recommend LSE.
Original post by Retrodiction
An important factor is whether you currently have, or can see yourself having, international ambitions. If so, LSE certainly has the most name recognition across the world in comparison to the others you listed.

I could quite easily see myself working abroad and I have a unfair bias towards LSE as it just sounds more impressive. However I was told people hate it there and there's an awful atmosphere?
Original post by xtrembob
At LSE you will have to work more, but have a better name on your CV. Then UCL is pretty much equivalent to Warwick in terms of recognition. Pick the one you like the most in terms of atmosphere and location but would still recommend LSE.

Did you go to LSE, and if so, did you enjoy your time there? I'm personally most interested in the course at Warwick but the uni doesn't have the same reputation that LSE does.
Did you go to LSE, and if so, did you enjoy your time there? I'm personally most interested in the course at Warwick but the uni doesn't have the same reputation that LSE does.

PM, ill respond this afternoon, have a lecture soon!
I could quite easily see myself working abroad and I have a unfair bias towards LSE as it just sounds more impressive. However I was told people hate it there and there's an awful atmosphere?

Well I'm speaking as someone who graduated from a different university in 2014, and as someone who moved to the US for a job shortly after graduating, and the best advice I can give is to keep in mind that it's only 3 years. You can have an amazing time at any university and you can have an awful time at any university - how much you enjoy you time there is all about the friends you make. If you have a fulfilling social life then any institutional downers are meaningless when it comes to your quality of life.

Though with that said I totally understand how difficult it is when you're about to embark on this stage in your life to make a decision based on the 'only three years' perspective. But relatively speaking, three years is very little time compared to the rest of your life. If you are someone with international ambitions (and it sounds like the idea has crossed your mind more than once) I definitely think LSE has the potential to open more doors than the others if the employer gives much weight to the universities attended by their applicants. It's second (well, third) only to Oxford and Cambridge in terms of global name recognition, which sounds odd given the wealth of great universities we have, but it's absolutely true in non-STEM fields.

I'm sure you'll be happy whatever your decision, but I would definitely advise taking a long view.
Reply 7

The problem with LSE(and UCL) is that you will have no campus life, because there are "no" campus. If you would like to enjoy your campus life I would recommend Warwick, otherwise LSE for the reputation.
Original post by ivok22
The problem with LSE(and UCL) is that you will have no campus life, because there are "no" campus. If you would like to enjoy your campus life I would recommend Warwick, otherwise LSE for the reputation.

I was busy on the Warwick open day, but I've got an offer so I'll have to look at what it's like during the offer holder's day to decide whether I like it there. But I feel like I'd enjoy campus life quite a lot so I'll definitely have to consider that.
Reply 9

Warwick - MORSE (A*AA)

Thanks in advance

Look honestly, having gone to a London Russell group Uni not in your options, done an IB internship and on track for a consultancy grad offer--I would say it depends more on which Uni has better links with companies. As in some prefer certain Unis, maybe by doing extra project with those students during academic year etc etc.

So you'll find most offers to students from those Uni for that specific company, try to talk to any one from the Uni and ask if they know about any Companies preferring their students. Tbh, this is something I wish i had an idea about before coming to Uni since thats honestly quite prominent now.

Other than that, all 3 are very good but I guess to go for something which offers a lot of extracurricular or opportunities to pursue extracurricular. Especially in consulting they are looking for people who have a lot of experience through campus activities etc.
Best of luck!
MORSE is very difficult, good if you plan on going into something quantitative. And Warwick is excellent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending