The Student Room Group

Should I pick LSE or UCL?

Hi everyone,

So I have 5 offers for data science at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Bath. I’ve narrowed it down to LSE or UCL, but I really can’t decide which one to firm!

Both courses look quite good and ultimately I just want to attend the one that is ‘better’, but I don’t know. HELP PLEASE!
Original post by zainabxxx
Hi everyone,

So I have 5 offers for data science at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Bath. I’ve narrowed it down to LSE or UCL, but I really can’t decide which one to firm!

Both courses look quite good and ultimately I just want to attend the one that is ‘better’, but I don’t know. HELP PLEASE!

LSE !! That’s the best
Reply 2
Original post by Pineappledude264
LSE !! That’s the best

okay thank you!
Reply 3
LSE if your major is relevant to economics or politics
Reply 4
Hi everyone,

Bachelor or MSc ?
The undergrad data science course at LSE is very new, so bear that in mind. I think it's only been running for a year or two. I think the postgrad one has been around a little longer though.

Warwick is actually the one that's been running such a course for the longest time I think and has a stronger CS department than UCL or LSE by a fair margin, and is comparable or better for statistics. Frankly I'd consider Warwick the strongest course out of the lot...also it's a lot cheaper than living in London!

Out of LSE and UCL though I'd probably consider UCL the better option since it has a well established CS department which exists for more than just offering ancillary courses to other degrees!
(edited 1 year ago)
The other thing about LSE to be aware of is that over 65% of students are from overseas - and most of those are Chinese. Whilst there is nothing wrong with this, you need to think about how this will impact your student experience and social life.

If any of your offers have a placement opportunity, this is a major plus and will make a huge difference to your graduate CV. You will have 'relevant work experience' and will be far more attractive to employers.
Original post by McGinger
The other thing about LSE to be aware of is that over 65% of students are from overseas - and most of those are Chinese. Whilst there is nothing wrong with this, you need to think about how this will impact your student experience and social life.

If any of your offers have a placement opportunity, this is a major plus and will make a huge difference to your graduate CV. You will have 'relevant work experience' and will be far more attractive to employers.

I'm from hong kong ad this was definitely something I thought about when applying. I didn't get into LSE but happy I didn't. UCL (I imagine) is mostly international as well but probably from more backgrounds because it caters to more courses than the gold diggers.
Hi, glad to hear that you got an offer from such top universities!

I am a year 12 student studying a level maths further maths physics and computer science. i have been to this country for less than two years so still exploring the college and i saw that you got the offer for the subject that i am thinking of studying at uni. if you don't mind i would like to get some information on the following points:
1) What were your predicted grades?
2)what sort of extra curriculum activities have you done to write about it in your personal subject?

thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by user2456532
I'm from hong kong ad this was definitely something I thought about when applying. I didn't get into LSE but happy I didn't. UCL (I imagine) is mostly international as well but probably from more backgrounds because it caters to more courses than the gold diggers.

Lol someone is salty at getting rejected
Reply 10
Original post by spotifyjust1245
Hi, glad to hear that you got an offer from such top universities!

I am a year 12 student studying a level maths further maths physics and computer science. i have been to this country for less than two years so still exploring the college and i saw that you got the offer for the subject that i am thinking of studying at uni. if you don't mind i would like to get some information on the following points:
1) What were your predicted grades?
2)what sort of extra curriculum activities have you done to write about it in your personal subject?

thanks.

Hey sorry for the late reply I forgot I posted this.

I take maths, further maths and geography and my predicted grades were A*A*A*
I also did the AS exam for further maths in year 12 and I got an A in that.

The extra curricular I spoke about were some coding projects I did, a coding language I learnt, a niche article I read about data science. Those were the mains ones, you can message me privately if you want and I can tell you a bit more
Hey sorry for the late reply I forgot I posted this.

I take maths, further maths and geography and my predicted grades were A*A*A*
I also did the AS exam for further maths in year 12 and I got an A in that.

The extra curricular I spoke about were some coding projects I did, a coding language I learnt, a niche article I read about data science. Those were the mains ones, you can message me privately if you want and I can tell you a bit more

ok, thanks for the information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending