The Student Room Group

Deep Thought: Should we fear death?

After the first great task for which I, Deep Thought, the second greatest computer in the universe, of time and space, was called into existence for, I was left with little to occupy my circuits. And thus, Deep Thought Thursdays was born; a chance to discover what you primitive beings think of the great questions in life.

This week, I want you to tell me whether you believe that we should fear death? And why do you think that?

Some general advice, don't take as long as seven and a half million years to answer, and don't say 42, the philosophers get angry if you do that... the mice weren't happy either, come to think of it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think that we shouldn't fear death as God and Jesus and His Disciples say that "Do not fear death, for after you go to a perfect place."
death is a natural process; why should we fear it more than digestion or respiration ?

:holmes:
Reply 3
I don't fear death, but I fear how I will die. I don't want it to be painful or me be alone and scared.
Original post by Deep-Thought
After the first great task for which I, Deep Thought, the second greatest computer in the universe, of time and space, was called into existence for, I was left with little to occupy my circuits. And thus, Deep Thought Thursdays was born; a chance to discover what you primitive beings think of the great questions in life.

This week, I want you to tell me whether you believe that we should fear death? And why do you think that?

Some general advice, don't take as long as seven and a half million years to answer, and don't say 42, the philosophers get angry if you do that... the mice weren't happy either, come to think of it.

“Should we” is an interesting question.

Sorry to all you religious believers out there, but death is final. It’s the end of us. We go back into the blackness we were in before we were born. We only get one life. As once said in Doctor Who, “we should be in a permanent state of existential crisis given how pathetic our life spans are”

But, it’s gonna happen. We can’t stop or change it. (Not yet, anyway) Should we fear it? Unless you want to waste what little time you have, no. Most of us don’t fear it, as we’re taught it’s just the way life is.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by the bear
death is a natural process; why should we fear it more than digestion or respiration ?

I don’t believe we should fear it, but knowing our lives and all we’ve ever known is just going to end is arguably worth fear, respiration isn’t.
Original post by FloralHybrid
I don’t believe we should fear it, but knowing our lives and all we’ve ever known is just going to end is arguably worth fear, respiration isn’t.

....knowing our lives and all we’ve ever known is designed to end makes it if not desirable, at least acceptable.
....knowing our lives and all we’ve ever known is designed to end makes it if not desirable, at least acceptable.

Acceptable, indeed. Desirable, less so but I understand the notion.

I agree that we shouldn’t have to fear what is natural. But when it comes to death, it’s okay that some of us do fear it. Fearing respiration or digestion is just silly.
Acceptable, indeed. Desirable, less so but I understand the notion.

I agree that we shouldn’t have to fear what is natural. But when it comes to death, it’s okay that some of us do fear it. Fearing respiration or digestion is just silly.

fearing death is equally silly... it is like fearing Tuesday or adverbs.

:s-smilie:
fearing death is equally silly... it is like fearing Tuesday or adverbs.

:s-smilie:

I don’t know what you mean, adverbs are really quite terrifying.
Do you fear breathing? Do you fear eating or drinking? If not, why do you fear death? Death is inevitable. If you live your life fearing death then you won’t get anything done. Focus on living rather than dying.
I don’t know what you mean, adverbs are really quite terrifying.

really ?

:beard:
Reply 12

Such a wonderful answer. I agree, it's a natural part of biological life. Even stars die so no need to fear it.
We literally fought for the right to attempt to kill ourselves without being criminalised for failing; death is natural, in some cases desirable, in all cases inevitable.

Not fearing death honestly makes you appreciate life while you have it all the more.
I don’t see why just because something is “natural” or “inevitable” that makes it something unworthy of fear. If I am in the wild it may be “natural” for a wild animal to attack me, but I would still fear it. It is “inevitable” that our family and those around us will die, and that is something many people fear and worry about.

For most people we try to rationalise it however we can to avoid the existential angst, usually by not thinking about it for too long (in my case).
I do fear death, I think it's natural to. Perhaps when I have achieved more of what I want I'll be more relaxed about it. I still feel like I've seen so little of life.

In particular though, I fear the actual process of dying. The body shutting down etc. I know in a short moment it won't matter, but I worry about that experience.
Not death itself, but what I'll miss seeing man achieve after it. I want to be alive when we mine asteroids, colonise other planets, discover extraterrestrial life.
Reply 17
No, as stoicism instructs
Original post by Deep-Thought

nah mate apparently there's a mcdonalds opening up in heaven soon
Don't fear the reaper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending