The Student Room Group

Is this a hallucination or anxiety?

So, I've got a bug phobia and unfortunately whenever I'm in deep depression or stress, I sometimes see bugs on my walls or flies which are not actually there. They don't last long as when I check again, they're gone. Sometimes I just think I see a huge spider in the corner of my vision but it turns out to be false? But it does make me paranoid which makes me more stressed and then I see sometimes things that are not there.

I'm not sure if I'm just mistaking this as hallucinations due to being overconcerned on my mental health or if I'm actually experiencing them...thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So, I've got a bug phobia and unfortunately whenever I'm in deep depression or stress, I sometimes see bugs on my walls or flies which are not actually there. They don't last long as when I check again, they're gone. Sometimes I just think I see a huge spider in the corner of my vision but it turns out to be false? But it does make me paranoid which makes me more stressed and then I see sometimes things that are not there.

I'm not sure if I'm just mistaking this as hallucinations due to being overconcerned on my mental health or if I'm actually experiencing them...thoughts?

It's difficult to say for sure, but it could be the anxiety making your eyes play tricks on you. Sometimes, when we have a fear of something, we become hypervigilant and always on the alert, looking out for the thing we fear (sometimes without realising it). When that is the case, we are more likely to mistake other things for the thing we are afraid of. E.g., if I was afraid of snakes and I went for a hike in the woods, and I was under the impression their could be snakes there, it's quite likely I'd be on the lookout for them, and be seeing twigs and things as snakes. If our brain is on the lookout for danger, it is more likely to see it.
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
It's difficult to say for sure, but it could be the anxiety making your eyes play tricks on you. Sometimes, when we have a fear of something, we become hypervigilant and always on the alert, looking out for the thing we fear (sometimes without realising it). When that is the case, we are more likely to mistake other things for the thing we are afraid of. E.g., if I was afraid of snakes and I went for a hike in the woods, and I was under the impression their could be snakes there, it's quite likely I'd be on the lookout for them, and be seeing twigs and things as snakes. If our brain is on the lookout for danger, it is more likely to see it.

That’s fair enough- albeit often my surfaces will be pure white and then for some reason I’ll be seeing a brown spider crawling on there 😕 I’ve also told my counsellor about it, I really hope they won’t be mad if it turns out it’s nothing serious…
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
That’s fair enough- albeit often my surfaces will be pure white and then for some reason I’ll be seeing a brown spider crawling on there 😕 I’ve also told my counsellor about it, I really hope they won’t be mad if it turns out it’s nothing serious…

What makes you think they would be mad? It is causing you some distress, so I'm sure they would want to know about it - it doesn't matter what's causing it, the distress is still there.

Sometimes a shift in lighting, catching a shadow out of the corner of your eye, or even your own eyelashes can be enough to trick your mind. I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but it is a possibility. Getting help with your phobia could help if it is having a big impact on your mood and life.

Quick Reply

Latest