The Student Room Group

Studying and difficulty

I used to study, and whilst studying id get these thoughts of my mind literally attacking me telling me how i am doing this wrong, i am gonna fail and everything. And i couldn’t stop those thoughts, id feel so terrified of those thoughts id literally feel this is the end of the world and shake and hide under my blanket and sleep it off. And wake up the next day and attempt, and at the end of the day have nothing done. I then started avoiding work, but stressing so much about it but when id think about doing it id feel anxious and all panicky and my mind telling me u’ll fail anyways, so id passively stress over it whilst doing nothing about it because my thoughts and the sensation that it would create in my body would stop me from doing it.
And i ultimately was never able to sit those exams.
And i am now wanting to re-sit those exams, and i for some reason cant convince my mind to just do the work. I dont get those failure thoughts anymore because I’ve convinced myself enough that i dont care about the end result amd i just want to learn. But i just keep delaying all day, and end up sleeping. And at night when everyones asleep i think of doing it, but just feel anxious and tell myself i am tired and better of doing it tomorrow, and the same thing repeats everyday. Deep down, I feel scared to commit to it, and i know somewhere i will never be able to achive it.

A good advice would be to lower your goals, make simple goals. But something in my body and mind just doesn't want to it. But i do want to do it.
How do i move past all this?

I researched this, and have learnt about executive dysfunction, ADHD, autism. But i just dont know how to move ahead. I went to my GP, and she said ur depressed.
If this is something i need to seek help for, how do i go about.
I dont want to be prescribed with depression pills again.

Any tips with all of this?
Reply 1
Hy, any insight from abybody at all plz? Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hy, any insight from abybody at all plz? Thanks

Hi. I would say that the fact that your reaching out and trying to find a way to solve this should give u some motivation. You yourself have already acknowledged the issue and are clearly willing to change things for your benefit. My advice may not help you overcome this challenge but as someone who struggles to sit down and study i understand where you are coming from. The only thing we can try is simply just doing it. As vague as it sounds, the only thing stopping us is our thoughts. So if you do get an anxious thought or a doubt, try your best to ignore it or if you are really determined just think...Ok maybe this studying wont help, But, if i do it, i have no excuses.

Don't put to much pressure on yourself. Start slowly and work your way into it so you can adapt your study style to how it works for you.
As for what your GP is saying, if they are advising for you to take medication, no one can argue against it as it is their professional medical advice.

If you would like to receive help for studying, i would suggest reaching out and finding a suitable tutor. Tutoring doesn't work for everyone however some people benefit a lot as the tutor will be focusing on just you therefore you don't have time to sit and think about negative things and end up getting distracted. Maybe the one to one support will benefit you. If it seems to formal, some people would just go for finding a study buddy.
Do you think any of these things may help you?...
Reply 3
Hi,
Thank you for the reply.
I can’t seem to come out of those thoughts that i described before. They take over my mind and occupy it almost and cloud everythung else, and then my body feels in danger and i feel these fear sensations. I cant seem to take control of them. And these thoughts stay in my mind for a long time. Cant think beyond them.

Yh, i am going to look for a tutor. They are pretty expensive though.
Reply 4
Original post by Hafz_
Hi. I would say that the fact that your reaching out and trying to find a way to solve this should give u some motivation. You yourself have already acknowledged the issue and are clearly willing to change things for your benefit. My advice may not help you overcome this challenge but as someone who struggles to sit down and study i understand where you are coming from. The only thing we can try is simply just doing it. As vague as it sounds, the only thing stopping us is our thoughts. So if you do get an anxious thought or a doubt, try your best to ignore it or if you are really determined just think...Ok maybe this studying wont help, But, if i do it, i have no excuses.

Don't put to much pressure on yourself. Start slowly and work your way into it so you can adapt your study style to how it works for you.
As for what your GP is saying, if they are advising for you to take medication, no one can argue against it as it is their professional medical advice.

If you would like to receive help for studying, i would suggest reaching out and finding a suitable tutor. Tutoring doesn't work for everyone however some people benefit a lot as the tutor will be focusing on just you therefore you don't have time to sit and think about negative things and end up getting distracted. Maybe the one to one support will benefit you. If it seems to formal, some people would just go for finding a study buddy.
Do you think any of these things may help you?...

Hi, Thank you for the reply. I can’t seem to come out of those thoughts that idescribed before. They take over my mind andoccupy it almost and cloud everythung else, andthen my body feels in danger and i feel these fearsensations. I cant seem to take control of them.And these thoughts stay in my mind for a long time.Cant think beyond them. Yh, i am going to look for a tutor. They are prettyexpensive though.
Reply 5
Hi, Thank you for the reply. I can’t seem to come out of those thoughts that idescribed before. They take over my mind andoccupy it almost and cloud everythung else, andthen my body feels in danger and i feel these fearsensations. I cant seem to take control of them.And these thoughts stay in my mind for a long time.Cant think beyond them. Yh, i am going to look for a tutor. They are prettyexpensive though.

Hi again...From the way you are describing it i think it is a more serious problem compared to a situation where someone who doesn't have the motivation. Your situation sounds much more serious and the best advice i could give would be to go to your GP again and perhaps explain all this in full detail so they can fully assess whether this is a bigger issue that needs to be supported differently.

Yh tutors are very expensive which is commonly why people end up never getting any tuition even though it helps some people.
Hi when you said you learnt about autism and ADHD and went to the doctors and they said that you were depressed, have you had a diagnosis for either or were you looking to get diagnosied. I'm autistic so if you have any questions about anything let me know
Reply 7
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi when you said you learnt about autism and ADHD and went to the doctors and they said that you were depressed, have you had a diagnosis for either or were you looking to get diagnosied. I'm autistic so if you have any questions about anything let me know

Hi,
I havent had a diagnosis for either. I went to my gp and told her i think i might have autism, and she asked me a few questions and said i think your depressed. Prescribed me citalopram, and said if it doesn’t improve with this, make an appointment again and we’ll move forward from there.
Nothing changed, and i am too anxious to make am appointment again.
I’ve been thinking of therapy, but i am not comfortable with that.
So i am stuck.
Hi,
I havent had a diagnosis for either. I went to my gp and told her i think i might have autism, and she asked me a few questions and said i think your depressed. Prescribed me citalopram, and said if it doesn’t improve with this, make an appointment again and we’ll move forward from there.
Nothing changed, and i am too anxious to make am appointment again.
I’ve been thinking of therapy, but i am not comfortable with that.
So i am stuck.

That's annoying
I know it seems scary but maybe making the doctor's appointment again or trying a non-traditional form of therapy as when people have multiple siutations going on it can be hard to determine the cause so maybe if there was proof that there was treatment for the depression and the issues were the same they might hopefully consider other causes.
For me I went to the doctors with my mum and we had a big list of things for the reasons we thought it was autism and not other things including things from when I was 2 sort of thing to show it was long term. I realise you might not have someone to help but maybe have a list you could give them and not having to talk would help
I used to study, and whilst studying id get these thoughts of my mind literally attacking me telling me how i am doing this wrong, i am gonna fail and everything. And i couldn’t stop those thoughts, id feel so terrified of those thoughts id literally feel this is the end of the world and shake and hide under my blanket and sleep it off. And wake up the next day and attempt, and at the end of the day have nothing done. I then started avoiding work, but stressing so much about it but when id think about doing it id feel anxious and all panicky and my mind telling me u’ll fail anyways, so id passively stress over it whilst doing nothing about it because my thoughts and the sensation that it would create in my body would stop me from doing it.
And i ultimately was never able to sit those exams.
And i am now wanting to re-sit those exams, and i for some reason cant convince my mind to just do the work. I dont get those failure thoughts anymore because I’ve convinced myself enough that i dont care about the end result amd i just want to learn. But i just keep delaying all day, and end up sleeping. And at night when everyones asleep i think of doing it, but just feel anxious and tell myself i am tired and better of doing it tomorrow, and the same thing repeats everyday. Deep down, I feel scared to commit to it, and i know somewhere i will never be able to achive it.

A good advice would be to lower your goals, make simple goals. But something in my body and mind just doesn't want to it. But i do want to do it.
How do i move past all this?

I researched this, and have learnt about executive dysfunction, ADHD, autism. But i just dont know how to move ahead. I went to my GP, and she said ur depressed.
If this is something i need to seek help for, how do i go about.
I dont want to be prescribed with depression pills again.

Any tips with all of this?
I understand that you're going through a difficult time struggling with anxiety and negative thoughts that are preventing you from studying and reaching your goals. The thoughts and physical sensations you describe could be linked to anxiety and fear of failure. Addressing these underlying issues is crucial to move forward.Consider talking to a therapist or counselor who can help you understand your anxiety, manage negative thoughts, and develop coping mechanisms.Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) can be particularly helpful in addressing negative thought patterns and anxiety.I am sure you are doing your best, don’t overstress yourself and talk to someone professional. You are going to do great!

Quick Reply

Latest