The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i’m not trying to be rude or anything, i’m just curious but why do you want to know this? do you want to do medicine ‘just for the money’??

ive always wondered this too, just curious to know why you are - is it just because you’re interested or another reason?? :smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles
i’m not trying to be rude or anything, i’m just curious but why do you want to know this? do you want to do medicine ‘just for the money’??

ive always wondered this too, just curious to know why you are - is it just because you’re interested or another reason?? :smile:

interest.
- Optometry
- Pharmacy
- Physiotherapy
Original post by adamantacademic
- Optometry
- Pharmacy
- Physiotherapy

Surely, surgeon's would be within the top 3 :smile:
Original post by PleaseHelppppp

Nope, they tend to make the least in medicine, to the surprise of most people.
- Optometry
- Pharmacy
- Physiotherapy

None of those are medical specialities... by Optometry, I assume you mean ophthalmology?
(edited 6 years ago)
interest.

alright fair enough!! :smile:
i’m interested too so i’m excited to see what people suggest ahah
Reply 8
Orthopaedic surgeons earn the highest
Obvs plastic surgeons earn more, bc of the demand etc

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Nope, they tend to make the least in medicine, to the surprise of most people.

I'm a little confused when you say 'surgeon' is a speciality in medicine. There are lots of specialities within surgery, for example neurosurgery, paediatric surgery e.t.c.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2442143/table/tbl3/

Pretty old link, but according to that, top 3 in the UK are: Plastic surgery, orthopaedic surgery, neurosurgery.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2442143/table/tbl3/

Pretty old link, but according to that, top 3 in the UK are: Plastic surgery, orthopaedic surgery, neurosurgery.

Reply 12
- Optometry
- Pharmacy
- Physiotherapy

None of these are medical jobs. They are Allied health professional, different path.

I would assume an ortho surgeon is pretty high up the list, is a giant boy’s club though lol. Either that or neurosurgery as top of surgical jobs.

Top medicine specialty, maybe dermatology or ophthalmology? Radiology is pretty well paid too though.
Reply 13
Pharmacists can earn a lot, but usually if they own their own independent pharmacy.
Neurosurgeons earn a lot, I remember seeing a job vacancy with BUPA for a nuerosurgeon for £450,000 per year.

I guess you can earn a lot in any speciality providing you’re good. For example my dermatologist is one of the best, she works for the NHS as a consultant and I pay £250 per 20minute appointment in her private practice.
Original post by Mystelle
I'm a little confused when you say 'surgeon' is a speciality in medicine. There are lots of specialities within surgery, for example neurosurgery, paediatric surgery e.t.c.

Exactly. Medicine and surgery are two entirely different things.

As you can see from the link Chief Wiggum posted, while there is some variation in NHS evidence, the big game-changer is how many opportunities there are for private work.
Original post by georgem93
Pharmacists can earn a lot, but usually if they own their own independent pharmacy.
Neurosurgeons earn a lot, I remember seeing a job vacancy with BUPA for a nuerosurgeon for £450,000 per year.

I guess you can earn a lot in any speciality providing you’re good. For example my dermatologist is one of the best, she works for the NHS as a consultant and I pay £250 per 20minute appointment in her private practice.

Pharmacy is not a medical specialty.
Original post by *pitseleh*
Exactly. Medicine and surgery are two entirely different things.

I would assume OP meant "Medicine" in its broadest sense in the thread title.
Reply 17
Original post by *pitseleh*
Pharmacy is not a medical specialty.

I’m very much aware of that thank you. I was making the statement based on a previous post stating that pharmacists are amongst the highest paid.
All hospital consultants are employed under the same contract so earn the same basic NHS salary.

However, certain specialties tend to do better in the private sector than others e.g. orthopaedic surgery, urology, ophthalmology, dermatology.

Such specialties involve relatively quick procedures which can be carried out on a generally fit patient population with relatively minimal risk in terms of indemnity and getting sued. Which is why spending a Saturday doing back-to-back cataract operations or mole removals can be quite lucrative.

There is a lot more to it than just that, but that's the simple answer to your question.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I would assume OP meant "Medicine" in its broadest sense in the thread title.

Oh yeah, that would make sense.

Original post by georgem93
I’m very much aware of that thank you. I was making the statement based on a previous post stating that pharmacists are amongst the highest paid.

Fair enough. Just thought the repeated references to 'Pharmacy' were weird in a thread about medical specialties.

Latest

Trending

Trending